Tent needed for high winds, hot climate. Recommendations?

goin camping

Explorer
We need a three season tent that we'll use in the Mojave desert. No winter camping.

The perfect tent will withstand high winds. Have lots of openings for hot weather and be roomy enough for two adults a hundred pound dog. We'll be camping out of a jeep.

I'd appreciate your suggestions and hopefully links and pictures if you have them.

Ed B

Adventurer
Interested in this too. If it was just the wind I think there would be plenty of choices but in the desert, wind means blowing sand.I have tried a couple of mainly mesh tents with full rain flys but the wind still blows the sand under and into the tent. I have a Springbar for base camping but am looking for a 2-3 person tent for when we break camp daily.

garwhal

Observer
There are myriad options of course. Here are my top ones. I have climbed around the world in all conditions, car camped in the best and worst, and setup tents in the backyard with the kids. Here are three of my favorites for a car camping oriented experience.

Car Camping - little heavy but will last a lifetime
- Spring Bar Tents - http://www.kirkhams.com/deluxe-tents/
3 Season - Light and well made
- https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/BigHouse4
Ultra 3 Season - roomy, awesome and well made - a little big
-http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/backcountry-barn/product

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My only recommendation would be "Air Zone" air tents, since you're camping outta jeep-

I've used two of their tents for over 8 years and they've been thru storms/winds/rain--

I don't even know if "Air Zone" is still on the internet-

Checkemout

The main insurance for winds, is long-strong stakes !

Goldfinch
PICT0112.jpg

Odessy
SUNP0251.jpg

They have bigger and military tents-super HD and strong-

Checkemout

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, they just posted a NEW TEPUI thread, this morning-

I'm 99% gonna order the Kokenam-looks like a great strong RTT !

Good luck

Box Rocket

Good luck

Jimbo, PM me when you're ready and I'll get you a great price on the Kukenam.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:

Good luck

Now it's 100%--just ordered one

Jimbo, PM me when you're ready and I'll get you a great price on the Kukenam.

Thanx Box Rocket, now I'm ready for JKUR mod #55-

Arclight

SAR guy
I would also recommend the Big Agnes. I camp a lot in the Mojave and Great Basin. WInd is a huge deal there - you really need to spend $200+ and get a mountaineering type tent with 3 or 4 poles. The standard 2-pole Fiberglass Coleman tent will get flattened every time.

Here is a photo from Rhyolite, NV a few years ago after a wind storm when we got our tent flattened. The ranger's trailer got blown over!

IMGP1347.jpg
IMGP1354.jpg

Desert Dan

Explorer
A free standing geodesic dome with 4-6 poles works well. You can make or buy larger tent stakes to help hold it down. I also put rock on top of the tent stakes. If it is really windy I put water jugs and or cooler inside to keep it from blowing away. In hot weather you don't need to use the rain fly and that will help with ventilation.

I have had good luck with Eureka and REI tents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles