Tent heater ideas please

A Big Buddy heater, 0 degree bag, and cot with foam pad works great in my tent at 7,500 feet and 20 degrees. The heater is only used in the evening before turning in and again in the morning. It sure beats a wood-burning stove. :)

I can vouch for the Propex. Works great in an Eezi-Awn Globetrotter. IMHO, the thermostat is a necessity. The thermostat keeps the tent at the right temperature without wasting fuel. (i.e. opening a tent flap to releasel the precious warm air you just paid to heat.) I also like the fact that the Propex allows you to return air from the tent to the heater. This uses less fuel by reheating the warmer air from your tent and also helps take the humidity out of the tent. Just my $0.02

I'm assuming you at per using it with a 20 lb propane tank, right? If so, how long does the tank last? Also assuming that you would also be using the tank for cooking as well.

I love what I see about them but don't want to be carrying multi propane tanks.

brentbba

Explorer
I've used a Coleman cat heater all night w/o issue. Have a Little Buddy I just got and haven't had the opportunity to use it, but had borrowed one in the past. I do like other posters have mentioned. I turn it on before going turning in for the night and turn it off when I go to bed. In the morning, I'll get up, turn it on and crawl back in my nice warm sleeping bag until the heater has taken the chill out of the tent.

4RunAmok

Explorer
The Propex uses a surprisingly low amount of propane, I borrowed one from a good friend, and used it for 2 nights in Death Valley in January, had the heater on all night, but with the thermostat, it doesn't run the burner all night. I have a fiberglass propane tank and the usage was barely visible.

I'm saving up for a Propex.

arnott1t

I sleep in my truck a fair bit in awfully cold weather down to -30 or so. I run a webasto air top fed from a couple 6V g cart batteries. It keeps the truck very nice and toasty through the night. Sleep in shorts and shirts with a blanket kind of warm. I bring them up since they work like the proper and zodi did. Heated air and combustion air are kept separate so there is no CO risk. a Webasto could be rigged to run from a jerry can and battery pretty easily. They can also be set up with a thermostat. I've plumbed my poorly and am always bringing fresh cold air in. Initially this was done to keep the interior dry.... and it does. but the heater runs constantly instead of cycling.. You can find the specs online but it's something like 1 gal of fuel for 24hours use wide open. 27W if I recall. Any way it works great...look them up

camper357

Observer
You would need a lot more than 2 regular-sized batteries to run an electric heater all night. The dinky little electric heater above pulls 13 amps according to the instructional manual.

Last edited:

tonkaman

Adventurer
Those Webasto heaters look like the cats pajamas. I would LOVE one for winter camping, but have a bunch of other stuff to do first. Next year maybe?
Greg

http://www.webasto.us/general/en/html/8243.html

I love my Webasto heater and use it daily. Unfortunately I was nearly left stranded after letting it run all night and the voltage regulator didn't do its job. I will be sure to add a third battery with an isolator strictly for accessories before I depend on it again

toyotech

Expedition Leader
You would need a lot more than 2 regular-sized batteries to run an electric heater all night. The dinky little electric heater above pulls 13 amps according to the instructional manual.

it wont run all night since its on a timer. i would warm up the bed/sheets before bed. reset timer just before going to bed and hope it should be enough to keep me warm and asleep the rest of the night. i always carry a jump pack so running the battery dead wont be an issue

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
The Propex uses a surprisingly low amount of propane, I borrowed one from a good friend, and used it for 2 nights in Death Valley in January, had the heater on all night, but with the thermostat, it doesn't run the burner all night. I have a fiberglass propane tank and the usage was barely visible.

I'm saving up for a Propex.

You'll be glad when you get it. I bought mine from MVBEGGS, worth every penny. I was just spinning tales of our trip across the El Camino del Diablo in January. At night the temps dipped below freezing. No lie, second night I woke up sweating (sleeping in boxers with a sheet) and my digital thermometer read 122 degrees in the tent.
image.jpgimage.jpg

I made some slight modifications to the box...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles