Tent heater ideas please

I have used a Buddy Heater for years in the back of my truck and run it all night. The key is I keep three windows open an inch or so for cross ventilation. I will be add a CO detector this year.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The 'good sleeping bag' recommendations are spot-on, but don't forget that you compress the bag beneth you, and compressed insulation isn't insulation.

Get a cheap closed cell sleeping pad. The thin, uncomfortable kind. The blue walmart kind. Even if you use a thermarest type sleeping pad, a closed-cell pad below it really helps keep you warm.

That's what we did snow-cave camping in Colorado. A closed-cell pad on bottom, a thermarest for padding, and a 0* sleeping bag. Slept toasty.

If you can swing it, an outfitter is a major bonus. Elk camp in the high mountains of CO, sleeping on a cot with a closed-cell pad for warmth as described, but with the outfitter coming in the tent early and building a fire in the sheepherder stove to warm the tent before we got out of bed. Hands-down the best cold-weather camping ever. :)

I purchased a Big Buddy heater recently at the local Cabelas I used it on an overnight outing with the children in our pop up tent trailer and on it's lowest setting it cooked me out of the trailer. I had to get up and turn it off in the middle of the night so I could sleep better. My teenage daughter on the other hand wanted it on all night so I ended up putting it on her end of the trailer.

squinko

Observer
I agree with the sleeping bag is so important when your sleeping, but it's the getting out of the bag to get dressed that kills me. I have a Tentrax trailer and can't use a floor heater. I really like the Propex HS2000. Now I just need $750. http://www.propexheatsource.co.uk/air-heaters.php

Has anyone ever rigged up something to one of the poles in a tent that allows for the heater to be suspended from the ground? Thinking about trying to use the green fuel can in a holder that would mount to the poles in my Tentrax then use a small heater to fasten to it. This would allow easy access and a way to quickly warm up the Tentrax before getting out of the sleeping bag. Easy to ventilate with this tent.

Just thinking out loud.

Benny.

General Automag

Adventurer
http://www.propexcalgary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=54

Same as the AT heater, $725.00 base price.

hs2000.jpg

The $1,781 Adventure Trailer price is, well, just a little steep. Seven hundred dollars, about the going price for a good 110V/12VDC fridge/freezer, seems about right. We've been trying to find some of the discontinued Zodi tent heaters, and I've even contacted the Zodi to see if they would consider making a special run of these.

Very tempting if I decide winter camping is my thing!

I found the Propex HS2000 advertised at http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html for $740US. It does pay to shop around. I wonder what the price difference is due to regarding the ones sold through Adventure Trailers?

What would be the ideal setup for use with a RTT with an annex room or a large-size family tent such as the typical 3-room Coleman? Would you want to place the unit outside of the tent with the intake and exhaust vents going in and out of the tent? If you had a way to waterproof the unit, I can see leaving it outside of your sleeping area. I wonder if a metal toolbox would waterproof it enough? What about one of the high-density molded plastic tool boxes?

General Automag

Adventurer
NEWS FLASH!

ZODI is redesigning their Hot Vent HP tent heaters http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodihotventhp.html . This is what we wanted initially. The price will be around $250, and they make a bulk tank adapter so you can hook them up to your larger propane tanks. I'm told it will come with some type of carrying case too.

ZODI also has their X-40 Outfitter Hot Vent http://www.zodi.com/Consumer/zodix40vent.html which should sell for just over $400, but we don't need that many BTUs.

The Propex HS2000 has a thermostat, which is nice, but you can control the heat setting on the ZODI, and you can also open you tent flap a bit to control the temp.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
According to my google research, Zodi has been "redesigning" their tent heaters for at least six (6) years now? This post below was written in February 2010.

I just talked to a guy at Zodi and he said they are planning on releasing the new model in mid March. 3wks to late for my camping trip.

There is this also:
The X-40 Vent and the Hot Vent HP have been in the redesign process for several years. These units are no longer available at this time.--Campingcomfortably.coml

And I found this thread writtin 2009, where a poster said the heaters were in "redesign" for three years prior. That would put the date around 2006...

I'd love to be wrong here, but I would not get my hopes up.

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah thats why I asked :) I heard the same thing for years :)

sadly wish I got one when I saw them at costco a few years back :)

I've used Big and Little Buddy heaters for years in both RVs and tents. They do have a low oxygen shutoff, which makes them unusable over 7,000' so to an extent they are "safe". To a point, but I'd not be comfortable running them all night.

We use really good sleeping bags, rated for much lower than the expected low temp. In the Rv when we start getting up in the Am run the Buddy heater in the RV just till it gets to say 50*. Colerman makes some nice inexpensive, little catalytic heaters which might serve you well and give you the chance to develop your own system. BUT, GET GOOD SLEEPING BAGS!

Me and my son used our little buddy at 9,500ft with no problems 2 weeks ago. Having on med in the lower annex made for a great nights sleep.
3yqa7eru.jpg

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Propex-

I can vouch for the Propex. Works great in an Eezi-Awn Globetrotter. IMHO, the thermostat is a necessity. The thermostat keeps the tent at the right temperature without wasting fuel. (i.e. opening a tent flap to releasel the precious warm air you just paid to heat.) I also like the fact that the Propex allows you to return air from the tent to the heater. This uses less fuel by reheating the warmer air from your tent and also helps take the humidity out of the tent. Just my $0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles