Tent for One Man and Cot

Weeds

Adventurer
As the title says, I am looking for a tent for me and my cot. I am too old for the ground sleeping or climbing up a ladder.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
For base camping I use a Eureka Copper Canyon with an oversize cot, table, chair etc. It is an upright design that is comfortable to stand up in and is dang near like a cabin when set up. But it is not particularly quick to set up/take down, so I don't use it for "overlanding".

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Tent cot may be good in a dry climate but they leak like a sieve in the rain. Or at least mine, and my two friends' tent cots did.

We have a coleman 10'x14' instant tent that we have used several times. It will fit three of the oversized cots without too much trouble. The one thing I will say is how quickly a cot (especially if its an oversized one) eats up real estate. in ours, there is not much room left after the three cots are in and its a 10 man tent. Goes up quickly, and take-down is nearly as quick. We bought the optional rainfly but have not had to use it yet. The tent also comes in a few smaller sizes as well. We have been very happy with its performance so far. Best of luck on your search and let us know what you go with!

luk4mud

Explorer
Coleman Instant 4 (really 2) man. Sets up on 1 minute, sturdy in the wind, cheap, vets well, no fly needed except in major rain.

kingg5

Adventurer
Tent cot may be good in a dry climate but they leak like a sieve in the rain. Or at least mine, and my two friends' tent cots did.

I live in a rain forest and mine has never leaked. (chances are good you didnt have the rain fly)....there are steps that need to be taken with any tent to ensure it does not leak in a downpour. Waterproofing is key. Ive seen 2500$ rtt leak because the owner did not do the correct waterproofing to it.

Chili

Explorer
Most "4 man" dome tents would probably fit the bill, although the cot length may be pushing it a bit. I think that's the smallest you are going to find that works for your requirements. Of course, that's assuming a normal full sized cot. If you use one of the compact (ie short) cots, you might be able to get away with a 2 man pup tent.

rlynch356

Defyota
i just bought an RV5 Oztent - plan is for max 2 cots and a lot of space as needed. why go small when your car camping?

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
It depends on the height of your cot. If it's low to the ground, some three-person tents will work. Examples: Alps Mountaineering Hybrid CE 3 and Zephyr 3; Mountain Hardwear Corners 3. My cot is higher (Camptime Roll-a-Cot, 15") so I finally got a Kelty Trail Ridge 4. This is smaller than most four-person tents, which I like. It feels like the perfect height and floor space for a cot. There's only one thing I don't like about it: the solid fabric doors. I'm going to change those for mesh. Otherwise I really like this tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke