Tent Cot

atavuss

Adventurer
I see the Venturecraft trailers once in a while on Ebay, there was recently one that sold for a little over 1k in Colorado on Ebay. my concern would be the fiberglass body/fenders getting banged up in the rocky 4x4 roads we have in the Sierras.
Scott, how many off road trailers do you own now? I have seen your tests on:
Jumping Jack
Venturecraft
Chaser
Grouseman,
did you find a CDN M101 yet, or still undecided what you want to get?

Last edited:

Grouseman

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
That is a VenturCraft trailer, now out of business. I used that trailer for nearly 8 years. No problems in wind, unless it was shifting. You just put the changing room leeward.

Scott,

Yea and you sold it before I could buy it.:ar15: Anybody got any ideas of a tent mfg. that would make that same tent for my 101 trailer? The problem is I don't have one for a pattern for the tent makers. Lots of companies say yes but they want a pattern. I have some leads, but nothing definate yet.

SS

Grouseman

Adventurer
ATAVUSS,
Grouseman,
did you find a CDN M101 yet, or still undecided what you want to get?[/QUOTE]

Yes I bought one, should be in TODAY, a great condition 101CDN from a fellow MUD member. Yea I don't want any fiberglass trailer either, but I want to put that tent-setup on my 101. That would be the stuff.:jumping:

SS

atavuss

Adventurer
Grouseman,
check out this link, scroll to the bottom of the site page, they show a picture of a tent on a trailer. looks like it might be a pop up canvas or something. there is no dressing area like the Venturcraft though. someone on the MUD forum has a trailer built by this outfit, I think he may have joined this forum too.
http://www.4x4fab.homestead.com/trailers.html
are you planning on fabbing a tailgate into your trailer? are you going to fab a top? any other planned modifications? show us pics when you get the trailer.

Last edited:

Grouseman

Adventurer
ATA,

Yes I will cut out a tailgate for sure. Easy access for stuff in trailer. Probably put a metal or aluminum lid on it like Mike S trailer. Then I will put a tent on like the Venturecraft had, so that I will have at least a Queen Size mattress, and an area for standing up, dressing, etc. Several other mods as well. Of course it will take time, but I have done alot of research and have a lot of pictures, etc of other trailers.

SS

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Sharkman said:
Jeff,

I don't have any photos put here is a link to the setup instructions that come with the TC: http://www.tentcot.com/documents/Setup_Instructions.pdf

We use the double version on top of our LR D2 and it works out quite well.
http://gllrc.fotki.com/drummond_2005/1161674_img_medium.html
http://gllrc.fotki.com/drummond_2005/1161677_img_medium.html

It is certainly not the luxury of a proper roof tent but it does have a few advantages. Light wieght, can be used on the ground if it is windy, can easily be stored in the garage when not in use, etc.

Good luck,

Steve

www.gllrc.com

Hey Steve, thanks for the pics and info. Just a quick question, when on your roof, can you keep the legs battened down on the roof rack, then just unfold the top portion to have your tent? Or do you need to store it properly, then set it up as per the instructions?

What I was hoping if I went this route, is to keep it securely attached and be able to unfold it - thus, having a tent on the roof. Simple, inexpensive and secure.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sharkman

Observer
Tc

Jeff,

I don't have it setup that way, but I think it could be done. If you removed the legs and mounted it to the rack using the holes where the legs where mounted. The biggest issue would be covering it when not in use. I have considered having a waterproof cover made for this purpuse.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Steve

Scott Brady

Founder
Steve,

That tent looks very functional. How is the overall comfort of the model? Have you experienced much rain with it?

Oh, and cool Disco :archaeolo

Sharkman

Observer
Tc

Hey Scott,

The tent cot works out pretty well. We often take our kids along when we off road so we end up putting them in the tent cot while my wife and I sleep on the ground in a tent. When we go without kids we use just the tent cot and it really is quite comfortable. I originally planned to purchase a proper roof tent but I keep talking myself out of it because of…weight, hassle of taking it on/off, losing roof rack space. We haven’t used it in the rain yet and I am concerned that its design may not work well in a heavy downpour. We have an awning that fits on the rack of the truck so I can move the tent cot to the ground, under the awing if needed. The new Tent cot design looks like it may work better in the rain.

My compliments on the website! We are quite active in the LR community and help run a very active Michigan club. I think you have really tapped into something that is missing from many of the brand specific clubs/sites…keep up the good work!

Steve

www.gllrc.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94