Tent Cot

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Jeff, have you looked at the Oasis II Rooftop Tent from Rogue River Trading?

tjpr2.jpg

It only weighs 40lbs, can be set up top or on the ground and has a very low profile for travelling or getting it in the garage. I looked at these and received a brochure from the manufacturer. They are actually more like a hammock with a tent over it, but supposed to be very comfortable. I think sizewise it would compliment the 'Zuk very well.

Here's a link with all of the Oasis II specs, a FAQ section and rooftop tent comparison with the Hannibal and Autohome

I'd really like to hear a review of the Oasis II, if anyone has first hand experience....?

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I've been looking at those too, just thought I'd try to look at the Tent Cot first (price point a bit better) and see if it was even a possibility (also, someone local is more likely to have one). I think the Oasis would be ideal for my vehicle - any of the other roof-top tents would simply be too heavy. I'd love to get a sample for review ...

kcowyo said:

tjpr2.jpg

It only weighs 40lbs, can be set up top or on the ground and has a very low profile for travelling or getting it in the garage. I looked at these and received a brochure from the manufacturer. They are actually more like a hammock with a tent over it, but supposed to be very comfortable. I think sizewise it would compliment the 'Zuk very well.

Here's a link with all of the Oasis II specs, a FAQ section and rooftop tent comparison with the Hannibal and Autohome

I'd really like to hear a review of the Oasis II, if anyone has first hand experience....?

CLynn85

Explorer
I like the oasis simply for the weight. My Jeep's top heavy enough, and will soon be adding a rack to carry more gear on the roof, adding a 100+lb tent to the mis would probably scare the crap out of me.

In the meantime I'm planning on ordering a tentcot double for the summer. Quick and easy setup, sleeping for two, and an elevated platform sound good to me.

atavuss

Adventurer
what is everyone finding for prices on the double and oversized tent cots? I have been tossing around the idea of a RTT for my 1/4 ton post WWll Bantam trailer but a couple of tent cots would be less money.......money that could go for vehicle mods instead.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
kcowyo said:

QUOTE]

The Oasis tent is very different than any tent manufactured by AutoHome. But after reading their 'comparison' I would like to clarify the actual facts about AutoHome Columbus Tent (size medium) presented at the above url.

1. Our medium Columbus tent is $1949 in fiberglass, not $1649. We also offer the tent in Carbon Fiber at $3,499

2. Medium Columbus is 83"L X 57"W X 59"T when open. When closed, it is 11" tall.

3. Exterior shell is re-inforced fiberglass (108 lbs. total), or optional Carbon Fiber (81 lbs. total).

4. A reflective Winter Hood IS available for all of our models.

5. The tent takes about 10 minutes to remove, but, unlike others tents, is designed to be left on the vehicle permanently if the owner so chooses.

6. Optional legs ARE available to convert the tent for ground use. Nobody asks for them, however.

7. Our tents are easily stored by simple leaning against the wall of your garage, or against the ceiling using a ceiling lift.

7. We warrant our tents for 5 years against manufacturing or materials defects - basically anything except abuse or impacts.

Any of the above facts can be found on the AutoHomeUSA website. We (AutoHomeUSA) are probably the largest supplier of roof top tents in North America, and we view competition as a good thing. We wish the Oasis tent manufacturer good luck, especially since they are targeting a different audience. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Mike S
http://www.autohomeus.com

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
you can look at tentcot.com for prices. Double tentcots have a bar dividing the floorspace- it's ok but not ideal if you want to spread out.

I don't like the Oasis b/c the floor is not flat. It is angled and would not be comfortable at all for me. But i've looked at that Oasis for a long time and the price/weight makes it attractive.

Having seen the Columbus/Maggiola in action offroad, I dont see the weight as a issue that I once did. It doesn't affect wheeling capability for expeditionary work, and even Mudrak had it thru the Rubicon so the only real drawback is storage/removal (but that is a kind of a big one).

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Mike S said:
....Any of the above facts can be found on the AutoHomeUSA website. We (AutoHomeUSA) are probably the largest supplier of roof top tents in North America, and we view competition as a good thing. We wish the Oasis tent manufacturer good luck, especially since they are targeting a different audience. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Mike S
http://www.autohomeus.com

Good info Mike. Thanks for getting the facts right. I do think comparing the Oasis model and Autohome model is not exactly comparing apples to apples. Like comparing a Tacoma to a Landcruiser - two different animals but from the same gene pool.

After seeing a couple of forum members Maggiolinas in action and pics of Mudrak taking his over the Rubicon, it's hard to imagine there is a more unique, reliable and durable roof top tent available for off road excursions.

jeffryscott

Life_in_4Lo said:
you can look at tentcot.com for prices. Double tentcots have a bar dividing the floorspace- it's ok but not ideal if you want to spread out.

I don't like the Oasis b/c the floor is not flat. It is angled and would not be comfortable at all for me. But i've looked at that Oasis for a long time and the price/weight makes it attractive.

Having seen the Columbus/Maggiola in action offroad, I dont see the weight as a issue that I once did. It doesn't affect wheeling capability for expeditionary work, and even Mudrak had it thru the Rubicon so the only real drawback is storage/removal (but that is a kind of a big one).

Weight for the bigger vehicles wouldn't be an issue, but I'm driving a Suzuki Vitara so the difference of 100-pounds is huge - a big advantage of the Oasis. I imagine it would be similar to a cot as far as comfort, but until I see one, have no way of really knowing. I think the Maggiola would be perfect in so many ways - I really liked the ones I saw at the rally last year - but I'd be concerned about weight on my vehicle (when factored in with all the other stuff you have to carry).

Jeff

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Jeff - just an FYI...

Thule's fitment guide shows the Suzuki Vitara 4 dr with factory rack rated at 110 lbs dynamic (moving) with a factory rack system and Thule 50" Cross bars. Our small Columbus tent weighs in at 95 lbs. in the standard fiberglass model. I am certain that this would be a safe and sane combination, but you are the best judge of how you drive.

For a soft top vehicle, you would have to buy a Garvin system or fab a solution - which you would have to do in any case to put ANY tent on the roof.

Good luck with your project. Perhaps we will meet one of these days out on a trail...

Mike S

Last edited:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Steve

It looks roomy. But I would be sure to camp in areas of little or no wind. It could sail on you. Is this a homemade job, or from a manufacturer?

Mike

Grouseman

Adventurer
Mike,

From a company that went out of business. The nice thing about it, it has a place to stand up and change clothes and you go to bed about the same height as a regular bed. That is nice for old folks.:ylsmoke: I would not look forward to getting down on the ground or climbing a ladder to get into a tent.
But that is just me.

SS

jeffryscott

Mike S said:
Jeff - just an FYI...

Thule's fitment guide shows the Suzuki Vitara 4 dr with factory rack rated at 110 lbs dynamic (moving) with a factory rack system and Thule 50" Cross bars. Our small Columbus tent weighs in at 95 lbs. in the standard fiberglass model. I am certain that this would be a safe and sane combination, but you are the best judge of how you drive.

For a soft top vehicle, you would have to buy a Garvin system or fab a solution - which you would have to do in any case to put ANY tent on the roof.

Good luck with your project. Perhaps we will meet one of these days out on a trail...

Mike S

Thanks for the info Mike. I had looked at the Columbus and Overland a while back and had forgotten about them. I'm still toying with ideas and looking at options. Cost is certainly a factor and I'm in no rush as there are many other things to do first. Thanks again, jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94