Tent big enough to fit family of 5?

JimmyRoss

Hi everyone I'm looking to get a new tent after using a coleman tent for over a decade. We're a bigger family now so I need something that can fit 5 people.
Any recommendations? Thanks

Honu

lost on the mainland
pack size weight setup thoughts :)
free standing can be nice most all need staking down but the stakes are more stabilizing in mild weather than needed
where do you camp ? some parks have a tent pad and ones in the over 12x12 can not fit in a pad sometimes ? something to think about if not a issue then no worries :)
pack size and weight self explaining :) huge pickup plenty of room not as much issue but small car etc.. that might matter :)

kodiak tents are awesome but heavy and non free standing but being canvas they are awesome at keeping cool in the summer and warmer in the winter and offer great family room inside have a great vestibule etc..
one of the better tents for comfort size etc.. but they weigh over 70 lbs ? lots of threads here on this tent

the big agnes flying diamond 8 is a awesome family tent and like the above 4 season which is nice even if you are not out in 4 seasons of weather ;)

both the above are a bit more $$$ but worth it if you can swing it

next in line I would be looking at REI kingdom and then base camp when on sale often %20 off they are great tents for the price and many here use them and swear by them

when looking IMHO a covered vestibule to walk in and out of are a nice thing to have ones that doors open to the weather are not as nice once you have the vestibule :)

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I would look at the following 3 - I have owned the first 2 and would like to own the third.

SpringBar - plus USA made, well built, great in high winds - negative must be staked.
OzTent RV-5 - plus fast 30 second setup, nice awning - negative center bar on the floor makes it difficult to sleep on.
ShiftPod - plus cool and quiet inside insulated walls - negative window size/view

Take a look, I think anyone of these could work for you!

My vote is for the Kodiak Canvas 10x14 Flexbow.

Fits our family of only four, but with plenty of room left over, not too mention stand up in.

ac26541bddfc2b452e580670c1a4b27b.jpg

Good Luck with whatever you end up getting

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Depending on how cozy you wanted to get - I'm a fan of Blackpine's Turbo tent. The 6-person version is 10' x 10', and just shy of 7' tall in the middle - so maybe a bit small for a herd as big as yours.

IMO, it is much more usable than the Oz-tents (due to the standing height in the center rather than along one edge).

You can get them to your door for as low as $530 with current internet specials.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hi everyone I'm looking to get a new tent after using a coleman tent for over a decade. We're a bigger family now so I need something that can fit 5 people.
Any recommendations? Thanks

I just had another idea, if you are wanting to stick with Coleman I might part with one I have in my collection, I have several vintage Coleman canvas tents in amazing condition that would be about perfect for 5.

Dangerfield

We love our Kodiak Canvas. Great space and feels like quality.
It is very heavy and must be staked, but it's worth it for my girlfriend and dog.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Yes, the Kodiak is cheaper, most things are cheaper when mass produced by penny-paid labor in China instead of hand made in America....
You betcha, and that will leave him a whole lot of extra hard earned money to spend on important things like American beer and Kentucky bourbon, just two things that will never be mastered by penny-paid China labor instead of hand brewed/distilled made in America...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xterratime

Observer
I don't know much about the canvas tents but when I was looking I was concerned with the weight/size and set up time. Alas I may soon be moving to pickup truck from Xterra so size/weight probably are not an issue anymore.

That being said for traditional camping type tents I have been really happy with the Big Agnes flying diamond 8. We are family of 4 but have really big Sleeping pads and still plenty of room so i"m sure 5 would fit.

I have spent ~20 nights in it so far including 3 with rain 1 of which was really really bad storm at the beach. Not a drop of rain and did not feel like it was going to collapse on us despite intense wind.

If you camp anywhere windy I would NOT recommend the REI kingdom. We see them blown over at Assateaque island every year, the "barn" style shape just lets too much wind hit it.

It list for $700 but you can frequently find it 20% off or use your annual REI 20% coupon if your a member. We combined that with our dividend to get it under $500.IMG_20150913_144156078.jpg

jeep670

Adventurer
+1 for Kodiak Canvas 10x14. Bought mine from Bass Pro.
I use disc-o-beds for comfort and space saving inside the tent.

siebermd

Adventurer
If you happen to already own a 10x10 pop up canopy? Walmart (Ozark Trail) has a tent that clips up to the inside of it and it is HUGE. I picked one up for $80 on walmart.com and used it our last outing. Its a fantastic piece of gear at a great cost.

IMG_0844.jpgIMG_0848.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles