Tent Bed Options for Sleeping Together

rambo3489

Just curious as to what you guys have come up with for sleeping two up? My wife and I like to actually sleep together while going out. We currently sleep on an old foam mattress topper half that may be in need of replacing before too long. That works well. I have seen suggestions for cots due to their high comfort levels. But strapping two cots together isn't quite what we are after as there will be the cot frames right down the middle of the bed. Maybe this won't be as big of an issue as I am presuming? Would like to hear from people who have used this system as well. A more recent thought that has come to mind is using an Exped Megamat Duo. Seems like it may be a good way to go, kind of a blend between a pad and an air mattress. I am not really hip to using a regular air mattress as they tend to leak from time to time and are not know for their R values. Although maybe this is a viable option too.

Would just like to get some opinions on the topic.

WhatTheZo

Will vouch for the megamat duo. It has been the best solution yet. We used to have one of those ALPS brand low profile air mats that works for most seasons, but the lack of insulation made winter camping miserable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ITTOG

I put a 1" foam pad on top of a Walmart air mattress. I have slept on it with temperatures as cold as 1 F and find it fine. This is tent camping. I have a good sleeping bag and am hot natured. If you get cold easy then I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dr Gil

Just curious as to what you guys have come up with for sleeping two up? My wife and I like to actually sleep together while going out. We currently sleep on an old foam mattress topper half that may be in need of replacing before too long. That works well. I have seen suggestions for cots due to their high comfort levels. But strapping two cots together isn't quite what we are after as there will be the cot frames right down the middle of the bed. Maybe this won't be as big of an issue as I am presuming? Would like to hear from people who have used this system as well. A more recent thought that has come to mind is using an Exped Megamat Duo. Seems like it may be a good way to go, kind of a blend between a pad and an air mattress. I am not really hip to using a regular air mattress as they tend to leak from time to time and are not know for their R values. Although maybe this is a viable option too.

Would just like to get some opinions on the topic.

I also have the Megamat, but I bought 2 singles for us. I go camping way more than both of us do, so the Duo would be way too much mattress to haul around and sleep in solo. Get 2 lengths of nylon webbing to hold the single mattresses together, put on a queen fitted sheet and there you have your bed for 2. Most times I just use the single Megamat for myself.

rambo3489

I also have the Megamat, but I bought 2 singles for us. I go camping way more than both of us do, so the Duo would be way too much mattress to haul around and sleep in solo. Get 2 lengths of nylon webbing to hold the single mattresses together, put on a queen fitted sheet and there you have your bed for 2. Most times I just use the single Megamat for myself.

Hey thats a pretty slick idea.

Guys using the Exped/Megamats mats how do they hold up? As far as holes and waking up on the ground and all.

Dr Gil

Hey thats a pretty slick idea.

Guys using the Exped/Megamats mats how do they hold up? As far as holes and waking up on the ground and all.

I've had mine for about 8 months, and it's held up really well. Obviously be as careful as you can with it. I bought mine from REI that allows you a return for any reason up to 1 year. So even though it may cost a little more buying through REI, it's worth it for that return policy.

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a Nemo Tango Duo with 2 Astro Lite insulated pads. Its sleeps great with 2 and packs very small. Nemo It would work with cots but I would use a double cot instead of 2 singles.

hoser

Explorer
We have (3) Megamat 10's for about 7 years now. I also have two kids. No problems with waking up on the ground. However, one mat blew out a 1" section at the outer seam. No patch was needed. Sealed it up with the included repair kit and has worked as new for maybe 3 years now.

Red90

Adventurer
We’ve used a Big Agnes Dream Island system for the last five years. It has worked great.

ArkansasDon

Observer
my RTT I trashed the original 2" mattress. It was horrible to sleep on. After some research & suggestion from a few members over @ American Adventurist we went with Exped Duo 10 queen xl xw self inflating mattress. This mattress is like sleeping on our home tempurpedic mattress. What I like about this mattress is the self inflating, open up the inflate valve & start setting up camp, 45 minutes or so I add the pumps of air (the pump you get with the mattress) to adjusted to the comfort level the wife & I like. The mattress is 4" thick & extremely comfortable, quiet to sleep on, to deflate I just open the deflate valve & start putting the gear a way. Then fold down the RTT & its stores perfectly inside deflated with all the bedding attached. Photo shows my wife arranging the bedding after the mattress is inflated & adjusted to our comfort level. You can see how thick the mattress is.
015.JPG

Last edited:

1811 Cruiser

Replaced the tent mattress that came with our ikamper RTT with two megamat duos. They aren't cheap but they're super comfortable and well made. If you search hard enough you should be able to find them cheaper looking for coupon codes. We found ours for 20 and 30 percent off.

dman93

Adventurer
Just bumping this thread, in case anyone has updates. When I camp solo, I use an Exped single air mattress and that’s fine, but when my wife and I camp together, we bring a tri-fold foam pad which is very bulky (3 or 4” thick x 3 folded, maybe 24x48”). My wife doesn’t like pure air mattresses so the Megamat or Dreamtime sound good, assuming they’re significantly less bulky than our current setup. We use a ground tent, and have a Tacoma DCSB with tonneau so fitting everything in the cab or under the tonneau is critical. And yes, we bring a lot of stuff ...

Vogold

We have the same setup, works great!

I bought a piece of 2" foam from a local upholstery shop and cut it to fit the bottom of our ground tent. I put a couple camping pads under it for a moisture barrier and we're good to go. When we move sites the wife and I just roll the whole thing up sheets, blankets and all and unroll it at the next spot. Best 45 bucks I think I've ever spent. It is bulky but hey that's why pickups were invented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles