Ten questions for someone considering a Four Wheel Pop Camper

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
1.) Had it mounted to a swingout tire carrier. Mine is 10 years old and it is used enough to justify carrying it.
2.) On the swingout as well, but many mount it above the taillights on the camper.
3.) My water system was modular and inside the camper. My guess is that the stock tank is adequate if you frequent civilization every few days on trips. I did not use my 12 gallons for showering though.
4.) n/a
5.) No, but I'm in California where the dry heat can be mitigated with the Fantastic Fan. It works great.
6.) Had two 130 watt panels installed by the previous owner. He also installed 2 batteries. I never connected the camper electrically to the truck. Powered the fridge with no issues.
7.) It's not that hard, but not that easy. The older turnbuckles are probably more of an issue than the newer ratchet straps. The turnbuckles took way too long (for me).
8.) No. I had the Falcon, which is very small. We started out with a camper on our Scout, before kids, which was perfect. The Falcon was too small for 4 people. The Hawk is much bigger. If you're going from a tent, she would probably appreciate it.
9.) Fantastic Fan and heater. You could rough-it without a heater, but that's not why I bought a Fourwheel camper...
10.) Thetford Porta Potti. Works really well with no leaks. I've rarely used it and, like most things in my life, end up just dealing with other people's crap.

Bonus: Worked well off-road, but it was a little too wide in the trees. Mine was only 6' wide, so the Fleet would not be able to make it where I did. Death Valley was not an issue. Even going fast on the washboards. Slickrock was interesting. Ran it twice last summer with the 4wc. I have custom Alcan springs and was weighing in at 6,700 at the time. Basically, unless your truck is modified enough to handle more challenging trails, the 4WC will be fine.

DV.1.jpg

SR.2.jpg

SR.1.jpg

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
Bonus: Worked well off-road, but it was a little too wide in the trees. Mine was only 6' wide, so the Fleet would not be able to make it where I did. Death Valley was not an issue. Even going fast on the washboards. Slickrock was interesting. Ran it twice last summer with the 4wc. I have custom Alcan springs and was weighing in at 6,700 at the time. Basically, unless your truck is modified enough to handle more challenging trails, the 4WC will be fine.

View attachment 426058

This looks like Dedekera Cyn (?)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If you're keeping the truck let Carli Suspension set you up with a system that will carry the load safely offroad and on.

Runt

Adventurer
Truck is a modified Toyota Tundra Ext Cab & camper is a custom Phoenix Pop Up

1) Where do you now store your Hi-Lift jack and other recovery gear? Hi-lift is on the swing out tire carrier. Recovery gear is in box under back seat.
2) Where do you store your extra fuel cans (we need at least two 5-gallon cans)? 4 fuel cans on tire carrier
3) Do you carry any extra water or is the camper water storage enough? 30 gallon tank on camper & depending on length of adventure I add 2 scepter water cans in camper.
4) Does anyone have experience with using and or specific information on how the shower works (in both functionality, ease of use, and any moisture issues)? Tankless system - sux. Hard to regulate temperature with out using a ton of water. I prefer using a hot juggs shower system.
5) Have you installed an AC, and if so, how do you power it? No AC - opted out on it, but could run it with the 2,000 W generator that fits in compartment in the back.
6) Have you used their installed solar or did you install your own? If so, then what size in watts is your solar and is it sufficient to power your camper? - 140 W solar film on roof that powers 2 6V batteries....wish I had another strip. Spec'ed. build to be installed by Phoenix.
7) Do you regularly or have you at all removed and reinstalled your Four Wheel Pop Up Camper and how easy or difficult is it to do? How do the four (4) removable "legs/support stands" work for you and do they work well? Do you drive around with the camper installed or do you remove it after your trip? I leave it on year round.
8) Does your wife enjoy the Four Wheel Pop Up camper? She likes it compared to a tent but would prefer a trailer.
9) What option(s) do you consider essential and which ones would you not include if you had to buy another one? I would not go with a tank less water heater. I would go with the simple ARB or CVT Awnings that have a bag and optional tent room that you roll up instead of the hard case Dometic type with the mechanism I have.
10) What is your poop setup? Cassette toilet, outside, etc. Small Wet bath with privacy drapes, powered fan, cassette toilet with level monitor - Access door from out side to the cassette.

Bonus questions:
What degree of off-road driving do you do with your Four Wheel Pop Up camper? Obviously we can't go in our full-size pickup where we used to go with our FJ40 Land Cruiser. Do you feel limited in where you can go? Yes very limited - Also had a Tacoma with custom built Phoenix Camper - its the lean angles that get you with the camper....trees get way to close and fixing the fiberglass is expensive!

If you drive a 1/2-ton pickup, do you wish you had a 3/4 or 1-ton pickup while driving around with the Four Wheel Pop up camper? (We run SuperSprings over the rear leaf springs which prevents bottoming out with heavier loads) I had to up grade the suspension all the way around. Went with Radflow mid-travel remote reservoir coils & shocks with custom spring pack & airbags. Nice ride but expensive. I went this route because I wanted a Toyota Tundra.....at the time it was the best option. Now I would look into purchasing a Dodge Power Wagon.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You guys are master packers with no underbed storage or access to front and rear wheelwells if I'm correct.
More power to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles