Temporary Tailgate Table

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I wonder why there aren't any commercial "clip on" tables for Jeep tailgates. Maybe there would be a market for one?

PCO6

Adventurer
I wonder why there aren't any commercial "clip on" tables for Jeep tailgates. Maybe there would be a market for one?

I'm sure if anyone can do it you can. (y) The short coming with mine (above) is the brackets that clip over the tailgate. They work well but they're awkward. If a bracket could be attached to the interior side of the tailgate that a table could "clip into" it would be much better. Although it wouldn't be an independent "clip on" it would solve the on/off issue regarding closing the rear window when you need to. I don't think there are any existing holes or anything on the interior side of the tailgate you could take advantage of so it would likely require some drilling.

SBSYNCRO

My exact thought. It would be a relatively simple matter for someone with the right tools and machining/fab equipment to make something that was very compact and folded up into a small, thin package that could be easily stowed but then quickly deployed to make a quick sandwich at a rest stop.

Personally I would stow mine strapped to my Morryde MOLLE overhead rack that swings down. (Which, if I’m not mistaken, I believe you had a hand in developing, right?). That way I could stop, swing down the rack, pull out the table, unfold it and rest it on the tailgate, slide out the fridge and “voila” I have my lunch break station.

I'm sure if anyone can do it you can. (y) The short coming with mine (above) is the brackets that clip over the tailgate. They work well but they're awkward. If a bracket could be attached to the interior side of the tailgate that a table could "clip into" it would be much better. Although it wouldn't be an independent "clip on" it would solve the on/off issue regarding closing the rear window when you need to. I don't think there are any existing holes or anything on the interior side of the tailgate you could take advantage of so it would likely require some drilling.

It sounds like those shortcomings are related to your desire to move around while having the table installed, and for that use case, a permanently installed table is probably the way to go (as it looks like you eventually did). My use case is different - I want something that is so easy to set up and take off, that it will used only when needed and then folded away when not needed. Therefore the two most critical design elements are (1) Must fold completely flat and very compact (less than 3/4" thick, ideally) and (2) must set up in less than a minute.

The approach I have in my head is a metal table surface (maybe with a MOLLE grid pattern) with bent-down edge for rigidity (or a sheet of HDPE), & a pair of detachable "arms" that stow inside the area made by the bent down table edges. Figuring out how to attach the arms and provide the necessary level of stability & support is the tricky part. :)

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm going to spend some design time on this idea. Not long ago I finished the design of a tailgate table that fits all side-swing Jeep tailgates (YJ, TJ, JK, JL) so a lot of that design and engineering work and perhaps parts can be adapted to a removable version. Perhaps a removable table should be a commercial product.

PCO6

Adventurer
My exact thought. It would be a relatively simple matter for someone with the right tools and machining/fab equipment to make something that was very compact and folded up into a small, thin package that could be easily stowed but then quickly deployed to make a quick sandwich at a rest stop.

Personally I would stow mine strapped to my Morryde MOLLE overhead rack that swings down. (Which, if I’m not mistaken, I believe you had a hand in developing, right?). That way I could stop, swing down the rack, pull out the table, unfold it and rest it on the tailgate, slide out the fridge and “voila” I have my lunch break station.

It sounds like those shortcomings are related to your desire to move around while having the table installed, and for that use case, a permanently installed table is probably the way to go (as it looks like you eventually did). My use case is different - I want something that is so easy to set up and take off, that it will used only when needed and then folded away when not needed. Therefore the two most critical design elements are (1) Must fold completely flat and very compact (less than 3/4" thick, ideally) and (2) must set up in less than a minute.

The approach I have in my head is a metal table surface (maybe with a MOLLE grid pattern) with bent-down edge for rigidity (or a sheet of HDPE), & a pair of detachable "arms" that stow inside the area made by the bent down table edges. Figuring out how to attach the arms and provide the necessary level of stability & support is the tricky part. :)

My temporary table takes about a minute to set up or break down and the table itself is quite thing when folded up - about 3/8". The clips are not small. I put them and the thumbscrews in a small nylon bag just to keep everything together. Because the table clips over the tailgate and isn't attached to anything I wouldn't drive around with it set up. Also, if I have my top on, hard or soft, I have to take it off as the clips interfere with the back window. The permanent one I built is much easier to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier