Temporary Tailgate Table

SBSYNCRO

Because of the way I have my Jeep set up (plywood deck and hard-mounted fridge slide and cargo retention system) everything fits perfectly (no wasted space). This means I don't have room for an off-the-shelf "bolt on" tailgate table (or I don't want to run the risk of it not fitting).

I also don't like the ones I see for <$300 and I'm not going to spend $300+ on a place to make a sandwich during a lunch stop...

This leads me to the idea of making a "temporary" table that either sticks to the tailgate with heavy duty magnets (like the ones you hang a rifle from) or something that clips over the top of the tailgate (probably the latter). It will need to fold up very compact and stow away flat.

I'm working on a couple of design ideas, but I'm curious if anyone else has done something like this and is happy with the result...

SBSYNCRO

I’ve considered that approach but there’s two problems:

1. Outside the “work triangle” when the fridge is slid out to the left and my “sink and faucet” hang off the swing-out tire carrier to my right. Getting around to a tire is inconvenient

2. Bigger/bulkier than I need

I’m hoping for something easy for propping up a jetboil stove or space to make a couple sandwiches while stopped for a quick break. I have a folding table I usually set up when I’m officially camped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratled

Adventurer
Two things, how about a picture of what you are working with... and how about something this and you can hang it when needed
1241a4a2-dd64-43a9-b12d-a6b2ac71af63_1000.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Should be very easy to make something from 1/4” or 3/8” plywood (sheet metal even better), that hooks the top of tailgate and has an angled leg that kicks down to the inside of the tailgate where you employ your awesome magnet idea. Imagine a shelf bracket the whole length of the shelf.

If you don’t want to spend $300, I can send you a prototype for $275?

SBSYNCRO

Two things, how about a picture of what you are working with... and how about something this and you can hang it when needed
View attachment 594904

Yea, that's the basic idea - (minus the belt holders and coat rack, lol). With arms that fold flat or pivot down.. Probably a piece of HDPE/starboard for the table surface. I have surfboards hanging in my shed using these and its what gave me the idea:
1593442653525.png

Flip them upside down and bend the bottoms into a 90º to support the table. Unfortunately, the metal these are made from is too mild and they just bend too easily (and they won't fold out of the way_

Any way you can have a board slide out from under your fridge?

I have the fridge mounted on a slide directly to the deck, so not really an option

Should be very easy to make something from 1/4” or 3/8” plywood (sheet metal even better), that hooks the top of tailgate and has an angled leg that kicks down to the inside of the tailgate where you employ your awesome magnet idea. Imagine a shelf bracket the whole length of the shelf.

If you don’t want to spend $300, I can send you a prototype for $275?

Yea, the tricky part is coming up with an idea for a good hanger that will pivot and fold out of the way so that the whole thing stows flat. That's my primary design criterion.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m not thinking it is permanently mounted, more like something that folds flat and you tuck it in somewhere.

Think of the drive in movie or restaurant trays that attach to your window, but you can be more precise because you don’t have to fit lots of different vehicles. If you were willing to put some screws into the tailgate, this could be really easy and not need any magnetics.

How flat can it be folded, how thick?

jadmt

ignore button user
I know it's not very 'Expo' but, what about packing a folding TV tray?

I guess if you get one with an outdoorsy theme, they'd kinda be expo? lol

View attachment 595165
pretty much what i use. I use something similar to this and it just bungies to my spare tire. It has seen the Rubicon trial and Dusy ershim and been to moab many times and never fallen off. Depends on how much stuff I am carrying sometimes it rides in the jeep and some times on the tire.

SBSYNCRO

RE the "TV Tray" idea - I've actually tried something very similar to the Ozark table, and found it to be too low to be convenient. I know I'm sounding like I'm being really nit-picky, but one of the big advantages of a tailgate table is the working height is very convenient while standing at the back of the Jeep during a quick stop. With the TV tray type tables one has to "stoop" over to make a sandwich or make a cup of coffee. Trying to avoid that problem... The ideal height is going to be about 34" off the ground

PCO6

Adventurer
… This leads me to the idea of making a "temporary" table that either sticks to the tailgate with heavy duty magnets (like the ones you hang a rifle from) or something that clips over the top of the tailgate (probably the latter). It will need to fold up very compact and stow away flat.

I'm working on a couple of design ideas, but I'm curious if anyone else has done something like this and is happy with the result...

I made a temporary table that clips over the top of the tailgate of my TJ. The clips detach from the fold-up table with a 4 thumbscrews for easy storage. The inside faces of the clips are rubber coated so there's no damage to the paint. I don't use this Jeep as much for camping, exploring, etc. as I used to so unfortunately the table sits in my garage most of the time.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I built another one for my LJ but it's permanently mounted.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

PCO6

Adventurer
^^^ Of the two showing, I really like the second one!

Thanks. I do too. It's much stronger and is more practical. The temporary one works but is a bit of a pain because I have to take it off in order to close the window when I travel from camp or close up the Jeep for the night. The permanent one never gets in the way and is there when I need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz