temporary camper tie downs?

I've been shopping for a pop up camper for a while on craigslist and found a cheap fixer but don't want to pull apart my current camper set up until I rehab the fixer. So my issue becomes transporting the fixer home, I was thinking about renting a uhaul pickup, loading in the fixer and running several heavy duty ratchet straps all the way around the camper and under the bed. Probably wouldn't be more than 100 miles of freeway driving. Thoughts???

CampStewart

Observer
I would be much more inclined to try to pull the pop up home or put it on a trailer. I would consider putting a pop up camper in the bed of a pickup truck to be a challenge even with a few boxes of rigging equipment, a pile of cribbing, and a forklift. If you are leery of the popups wheel bearings be prepared to inspect and grease them before the trip. If concerned with the tires buy a couple of mounted new ones and return them if not needed for the journey.

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
I think there's some confusion in terminology here. I assumed OP was referring to a true pickup camper like a FWC or ATC. CampStewart's response seems to refer to a pop-up trailer as a camper doesn't have wheel bearings or tires.

Assuming it's a camper, not a trailer, I think ratchet straps would be OK for a short trip. I carry ratchet straps in my FWC as an emergency backup in case I lose a turnbuckle.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
If you stay off main roads and used several 10K ratchet straps, the move could be made with the wind. Just don't get them so tight they flex the camper box or rental fenders. Maybe some 4x4's at the edge where the strap drops down on both sides. Just remember, after a certain year, which i cannot remember, the tailgate opening got smaller in some domestic pickups, denying certain campers from fitting. Get out your tape measure first. another idea is to transport the newer TC on a 7500-10K pound flat bed car trailer. The woe is getting it up on there.
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior