Temp Monitoring for Brakes/Bearings

OllieChristopher

Learn the truck trailer combination you are running. Drive so you don't disrupt commercial traffic who paid for the road in the first place. PS, a bit of smoke off te brakes is not an issue..... and how would a TPMS or brake temp monitor help with a loaded logger on yer tail. Suck it up Buttercup or get off the road.

PS, if yer trailer brakes are working properly they will not overheat before the truck brakes fail. I think yer issue is balance.

Finally. you are the reason 4 wheelers keep finding road closures. WE pay ZERO to build or maintain those Forestry Roads, I know we like to think OUR taxes pay to build them but in reality the Forestry Roads are resource roads for those commercially extracting resources. We just get access cuz it is too difficult to stop us. Once we get in their way, they apply to block our access.

A temp monitor would only tell you you need a better braking system so you don't create a problem.... but you already know that.

Do not listen to this advice. 100% stupid and dumb if followed and has nothing of value to add to this topic. I recommend you look up the member posting and you will see his posts are mostly trolling and made to get a negative reaction and argument.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
100+ years of driving and towing trailers for nearly as long. And there is a sudden need for brake temperature monitoring?

You wouldn't know what to do with the numbers you are seeing anyway. You would need to have insider knowledge to the material the pad is made of and the temperatures that it is acceptable to run at. Different pad, different supplier, different material, different ratings.

quickfarms

Adventurer
100+ years of driving and towing trailers for nearly as long. And there is a sudden need for brake temperature monitoring?

You wouldn't know what to do with the numbers you are seeing anyway. You would need to have insider knowledge to the material the pad is made of and the temperatures that it is acceptable to run at. Different pad, different supplier, different material, different ratings.

A lot of the new Truck Drivers out there are simply known as steering wheel holders and they would have no idea what the gauges or display meant.

The sensors would need to be tied to the low air system and even then the steering wheel holders would not know what to do.

The sensors may work ok from the factory but the first time a brake job is performed using non OEM parts it would be useless.

On a class 8 truck the original owner typically keeps the truck for the first 250k to 500k miles and then sells it. The life of the truck is typically 1 million plus miles.

This reminds me of Antilock brakes on class 8 trucks, I have found the remnants of the system on vehicles built in the late 70’s but I not found a complete system on a truck older than about 20 years.

Disc brakes are the same way. I have a 1985 Mack that left the factory with disc brakes at all 6 hubs. The truck was quickly changed to rear drum brakes because the discs would fade rather quickly in the mountains and had a very very short service life. The problem with disc brakes is the braking area is much smaller and as a result there is more heat and pressure. I have several vehicles that we replace the rotors with the pads. Unlike a car or light truck, medium and heavy duty truck get most of there braking from the rear axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior