Temp fridge/freezer mount in a Ram 1500 crew cab?

96Delica

Adventurer
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has mounted their ARB or Engle in their crew cab Ram? There's a fold down "flat floor" but it's pretty flimsy. I need to be able to take it out when I need too and use the seat as well. On a related note, does anyone know if the "always-on" accessory outlets in the new Rams have a low-battery cut off? I would like to be able to leave it on all day without having to worry about the battery.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
D rings mounted to seat bolts and straps along with separate power point

Hi Matt,

While waiting for Ram owners to reply, hope this might help.
I don't have a Ram, but I did mount a fridge behind the front seats of my Jeep, so maybe these pictures and description will be helpful.
This fridge is the Dometic 65qt dual zone.

I used cables and turn buckles to the seat mounting bolts to secure it, and makes removal quick and easy.
Used aluminum plates to replace the handles, but if you use straps this wouldn't be necessary. You could just use D-rings attached to the seat mounting bolts. With the straps and fridge removed you'd only have the D-rings in place.
It doesn't take much tension on the cables to hold it very securely for even extreme wheeling.

On the electrical side, the fridge has a built in power cut off. Depending on model it may have up to 3 settings. For a single stock battery, the middle setting works well.
I would recommend running a power port directly from the battery into the truck, rather than use the truck power ports. Using a stock power port really pushes the limits for a larger fridge, and you'll get voltage drop which will cut the fridge out sooner than necessary.
I purchased a 12' power extension cord from Amazon, cut the male end off at the correct length, added an inline 15A fuse and eyelets right to the accessory lug on the battery terminals. 0.0V drop this way. :)
Here is what I purchased. It's made in China :)() but it is good quality.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P68L9RO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any way, I hope this proves helpful. If you run with a passenger, I'd suggest putting it behind the driver's seat. This way the passenger has quick access to food and drink while on the road/trail. If you run solo a lot, it's very handy to have it behind the passenger seat.

Second picture is one of those "jump packs". For a single battery setup this pack works amazingly well. I still carry cables, but doubt I'll need them.

Attachments

• Fridge-mounted.jpg
    Fridge-mounted.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SOS-Charger.jpg
    SOS-Charger.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 52

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Here's what I did. I had the mount board left over from another build so I added a little hook that hooks under the child seat loop in the middle. Then I added two tie down D-rings on the outside of the cup holder on the floor. I added a leg to the front of the tray and tigghtened down a couple of turnbuckles to the bottom.

I haven't really gotten fancy with the power cord just fashioned up an extension from the battery to the fridge. I'm still deciding if this will really work with the kids back there. I can sit in both sides pretty comfy so we'll see.

Kingsize24

Yikes! That is the last thing I would want in the cab between my two kids if I were ever in any accident. Talk about instant death sentence.

jonathon

3 year old thread bump, but it still seems relevant as I have the same question. All 4th gen cabs are the same and the back seat area is unchanged on the 5th gen 2500 to 5500 crew cabs. Anyone come up with a better idea?

fGVo2gy.jpg

The ARB 50qt fits nice on the passenger side with the 60/40 split. Give up some storage under the fridge. My biggest challenge now is mounting it so it’s safe yet removable for the times we have more than just the three of us.

I bought some D rings to mount to the seat bolts but they are a nuisance and rattle badly. I’m half tempted to remove the fold flat floor and cut a piece of plywood that will still fit under the seat when folded down and attach the ARB tie downs to it. Not sure how I’d secure the plywood to the truck but it appears the under seat storage basket thing is metal, or at least metal framed.

jonathon

5nM4rzv.jpg

38fkm3g.jpg

Making a trip with an extra passenger I built a quick platform like Bennyhana did. Fridge is strapped down tight using the LATCH mounts for the middle seat. I don’t know if all 4th gen trucks have LATCH mounts in the middle but this one does. It is definitely not going anywhere.

Still not sure on the best solution but this one is pretty good for now. Would probably work better with a 37 quart model. The quick detach lid on the ARB makes it easy to load at least

Gummee

wannabe traveler
This sorta answers a question of mine... I have an 04 CC 2500, a Dometic 50l fridge, and a slide.

I've been using the fridge in my work van all summer. Best thing EVER! for mobile bicycle mechanic work in the heat of the summer. Been schlepping it in and out of the van, but the plan is to drive to the southwest this winter and I'll need it in the truck.

M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke