Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

Scoutman

Explorer
Breakfast the next day was a burrito concoction I had prepared for this group once before and was requested I repeat.

1# of ground sausage, 1 carton of dehydrated hash browns (reconstituted), 1 pack of sliced mushrooms, 1 dozen farm fresh eggs (from our chickens). This ended up feeding about 8 folks. This was then scrambled all together and then topped with tortillas to steam and keep things warm. Assemble with sour cream, hot sauce, etc.

IMG_20200223_073019555_HDR.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have been using my full size Skottle at home since spring of last year, and for camping.
I recently picked up the smaller Adventure one to take camping to save room in the rig, plus it will hold enough grub for two.
Used the full size one yesterday, here is a short video of it.

Vegan Dinner Cooked On The Skottle

Since using the Skottle I have dropped quite a few pounds, as I am using all organic vegetables, and vegan meat substitutes like Tofurkey sausages, and as in this video, Gardein Teyeraki vegan Chicken Strips.
I can eat as much of this and not gain any weight.
On the Skottle:
O Organic olive oil
Gardein Chicken Strips
Three Roma tomatoes
1.5 sweet yellow onions sliced up
One pack of brown mushrooms halved, One pack of portobello mushrooms
One red and on orange bell peppers sliced up
Slap Ya Mama black pepper Cajun blend seasoning

I cook up a big batch so I have leftovers for a few days at work too.

Corey, I'm vegan for 8 years now. If you have an Asian grocery store near you, check out the frozen food section for the brand Verisoy ---- the veggie ham is great and makes fantastic stirfry or fried rice. Verisoy makes quite a few products that are yummy.

I made the fried rice at Country Fried Weekend.
3 large Vidalia onions, diced
2 large green peppers, diced
1 big can shitake mushrooms, drained
1 log of Verisoy "ham", diced
8 packs of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Garden Vegetable (https://www.unclebens.com/rice-products/ready-rice/garden-vegetable)
Liquid Aminos
Oil of choice. Grapeseed oil is friendly to high temps

On hot, saute onions & peppers 'til starting to brown. Lower heat and toss on the "ham". Get it hot, swish it around, throw on the 'shrooms. Let them get warm and throw on the rice. Season with as much Liquid Aminos as you like. Stir often. Eat/share

These aren't Skottles in my slideshow but home-built units made from old plow discs. As has been mentioned, cooking on plow discs is an old custom, especially in the rural south. There's a shot of me in the show making the fried rice (blue jacket)

EDIT: my disc is 22", btw, quite large. I think your commercial product is smaller? Adjust recipe to fit the disc....

Last edited:

Islandchanel

Picked up my new adjustable leg Tembo Tusk and took it for its maiden cook. Some chicken apple sausage with bell peppers and zucchini. The adjustable legs are awesome to use. One inexpensive modification I did was add 1/2” rubber end caps to the legs. These are the same type used for the bottom of chair legs. I found a pack at Home Depot for less than three dollars and they slide right on the end no glue or anything else needed.Makes it nice to protect the bottom of the legs and grip on concrete or pavement surfaces.

vaulter1

These aren't Skottles in my slideshow but home-built units made from old plow discs. As has been mentioned, cooking on plow discs is an old custom, especially in the rural south. There's a shot of me in the show making the fried rice (blue jacket)

So basically what you're saying is that they're Skottels. ;) Traditionally made from an old plough shear and popular since 'forever' in South Africa. Beggars can't be choosers but they seem to have only made their way to the US as the cleverly marketed and high-priced 'Skottle'. By the way, the recipe looks awesome.

robert

Expedition Leader
So basically what you're saying is that they're Skottels. ;) Traditionally made from an old plough shear and popular since 'forever' in South Africa. Beggars can't be choosers but they seem to have only made their way to the US as the cleverly marketed and high-priced 'Skottle'. By the way, the recipe looks awesome.

Disk cookers have been in the US far longer than the Skottle, they're common in Mexico and have been in the Southwest for probably just as long.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Disk cookers have been in the US far longer than the Skottle, they're common in Mexico and have been in the Southwest for probably just as long.
Discadas. They get a bed of coals going and toss the disc on top of them. Look Mom, no legs!
Great for paella parties like Calle Ocho.

robert

Expedition Leader
Discadas. They get a bed of coals going and toss the disc on top of them. Look Mom, no legs!
Great for paella parties like Calle Ocho.

And cooking fresh caught fish in Baja. :) First place I can recall seeing one being used. They gutted and scaled it and tossed it in the pan with whatever oil they dumped out of an old Sprite or 7-Up bottle- delicious! Something similar is used all over the world. It's a common cooking setup in SE Asia on street food carts where they have ones of varying depth (depeds on what they;'re cooking) set over a burner. I love street food!

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Great little modification with some old tent poles to make the skottle a table top unit. Perfect height on a camp table for cooking. Just going to get some rubber tips for the bottom of the legs.

Attachments

• 874D3328-1CA5-4CB5-B80F-1A8797838BD7.jpeg
    874D3328-1CA5-4CB5-B80F-1A8797838BD7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarCaveUSA