Tell Me Why I Shouldn't Buy a WK CRD!

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
There's a 2007 WK CRD for sale at a Ford dealer about 6 hrs from me. Not looking for a new vehicle, not sure how I happened upon the listing, but I can't unsee it now. I absolutely loved my KJ CRD which I drove all over this nation in all manor of terrain. I loved the torque, I loved the uniqueness, I loved that it separated itself from the spark-infested counterpart. I sold it on Expo because I was concerned about it's rarity, and availability of parts going forward what with the Italians in charge and all.

I've been happily driving a fully paid for 4Runner for the past 5 1/2 years so there is no logical reason to switch... but the CRD be callin' to me.

So, tell me about the nightmares, and all the horrors of WK CRD ownership. I need an intervention, stat.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
WJs. Look at the exhaust casting. If it has a small VM on it you'll know. Another sign is the shifter. If it's a standard Jeep shifter that goes straight up and down or manual, it's VM. If it's a step type "Mercedes" style shifter, then it's a Benz engine.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Well, if its VM, that's what got me out of the KJ. I was concerned about the high cost of repair.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
The VM Diesel engine is very unreliable and expensive to repair.

WRONG...The 2007-2008 WK CRD has the OM642 Mercedes V6. The engine is very reliable and powers hundreds of thousand Mercedes, Sprinters, Jeeps and Chrysler cars all over the world.

@UtahKJ....The first thing to do is get the GDE Tune..440lb/torque is just great...it will also eliminate the swirl motor and reduce EGR. Once that is done a very reliable engine because almost bullet proof. Can you verify what 4x4 system it has? Count the number of bolts on the rear diff cover. 2007 to 2008 has the DPF but NO Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I would do internet research on DPFs. :elkgrin:

10 bolts = QT2 which is a great system that utilizes a 4LO and brake assisted traction control. It has open diffs, but you can add an ARB air locker. I have QT2 and it never left me stranded even in the thick red clay/mud of NC.

12 bolts = QD2 which is an awesome system that utilizes the same 4LO but adds ELSD to both the front and rear axles. The ELSDs are awesome.

Maintenance items are readily available. OME makes a great suspension system that allows 32" tires with a couple of inner fender tweeks. Limited aftermarket support that is growing.

Diesel gets the job done...my WK CRD fully loaded weighs in at 6200# and it will hold 5th gear when pulling mountains. Very little searching for gears that you may find in a Gasser.

I have had mine for 8 years and 100,000 miles and still can't part from it because of the diesel.

I did fail to mention a bad...rust.

If you are in a heavily salted area I would have them drop the fuel tank and check to make sure it is not rusted. The CRDs for some stupid *** reason got a steel fuel tank. And it sits in a steel carrier. Water and salt get between the carrier and the tank and eventually you have holes.

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
WJs. Look at the exhaust casting. If it has a small VM on it you'll know. Another sign is the shifter. If it's a standard Jeep shifter that goes straight up and down or manual, it's VM. If it's a step type "Mercedes" style shifter, then it's a Benz engine.

What?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Not fighting, just educating.
ef4eb3a6d90dc1c7b39c51ae033b3009.jpg

This is the rear diff pic the dealer sent me.

Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
That is a QD2 system..there should also be a label on the center of the dash just in front on the center cup holders that says Quadra Drive II

I would do a count of the bolts though in person.

i-nhhWRKf-L.jpg

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
That is a QD2 system..there should also be a label on the center of the dash just in front on the center cup holders that says Quadra Drive II

I would do a count of the bolts though in person.

It does have that logo for sure, dealer sent the pic.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
It seems this vehicle lived it's life in VA so I am concerned about the rusty tank thing. None of you are helping me not buy this thing otherwise.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
It seems this vehicle lived it's life in VA so I am concerned about the rusty tank thing. None of you are helping me not buy this thing otherwise.

I wish there was a plastic replacement tank for the WK...would remove the rust issue and save a couple of pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000