Tell me I'm wrong

So I've been looking at this site a long time and haven't posted much. I picked up a pair of axles for a SAS on my yukon. It was suppose to be a 1978-1979 ford dana 44 high pinion and a rear dana 60 with 4:10 gears. The dana 44 to me looked like a low pinion but he assured me it's a high pinion. I keep looking at it and from what I can tell its a low pinion. After closer look at the rear I believe it is a dana 70 based on pictures from the internet and in the bottom right corner it says 70.
Here are the pictures
0708132044a.jpg0708132131 (1).jpgimage (3).jpg0709132135.jpg0709132135a.jpg

1leg

Explorer
sure look like 60/70 to me, you need to run the numbers on it or measure the ring gear

I'm pretty sure it's a dually rear end as well. As we were digging them out of the back I remember asking is that a dually rear end and he said no its a single but here is a pic0709131943 (1).jpg

I'm more concerned about the low pinion axle. Maybe he just got confused because he was in a hurry. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Rot Box

Explorer
Front looks like your typical low pinion Dana44 to me. It likely has the large (dana 60 size) selectable hubs correct?

Not sure on the rear.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
If that front axle came out of a Ford, it is NOT a high pinion. Looking again, I can tell you that it is absolutely not a high pinion.

And as you suspected, the rear axle IS out of a DRW, probably a D70. Even the wheel on it is a dually wheel.

I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and maybe he just got mixed up cause he was in a hurry. Here is a picture of the hub. 0710130937.jpg

Stoked

Observer
That front axle is more likely 76-77.5 F250...low pinion, ball joint, disc brake. The rear sure looks like a dually D70.

bftank

Explorer
^^^ yep the external hub gives it away these were low pinion from ford. 777/78 is when they transitioned to high pinion and internal hubs. not a dana 60 front.

what is the wms on the rear axle? should have a 70 or 60 cast in it somewhere on the pumpkin. on a 60 i believe the shafts were 16 or 30 spline and 70 had 32 or 35 spline.

ps. ps bolting a dually wheel to an 8 lug axle does not a dually axle make.

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
Since it has a 70 cast in it that is a pretty good sign it is a dana 70 probably a 23 spline if it as old as the front.

bftank

Explorer
its all about the wms c&c ford dually 70's were 65" same as srw trucks. pickup dually rears are 70" on fords. a set of spacers will take care of h1 rims as well with out mods. not sure why you would run heavy h1 rims with a dana 44 though.

So I talked to the guy about it today, he is going to find me a HP 44 to replace the one I have now. At the time of the deal I paid for the front axle and it was the same price if I took the rear or not. Originally I was going to sell or trade the 60 and either put the money towards re gearing my 14 bolt sf or getting a 14 bolt ff. Now that I know its a 70 I'll have to do some thinking if I want to run it or not. I know there is more options for lockers for it. Thank you all for the replies, I was looking at so many pictures online last night trying to convince myself I was wrong about it being a low pinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles