Tell me about the LR2

Storz

Explorer
Is it as horrible as its predecessor? Will it brake lock the differentials when a wheel is lifted? How does it do in sand with no low range? Reliability?

Thanks! :sombrero:

LR Max

Local Oaf
My buddy had one, got it for his wife. Overall seemed to be a fantastic truck. They took it down to Amelia Island a number of times with no issues. Except for routine maintenance, the truck just worked.

They traded up for an LR3 because they now have a family.

racehorse

Adventurer
I drove one over the land rover experience course at Expo - fun little rig - four wheel drive, little articulation, no transfer case but has terrain settings.

JacksonRally

Adventurer
My dad bought his LR2 right when they first came out. It is his first LR. He tows a tent trailer with it and loves it. He wheels it quite a bit more than your average Joe. Everything is stock but really needs some underbody protection. His fuel tank is pretty beat up. All of the assiting do-dads were all new to him but they all work well. Sand, mud, snow and rocks it works well for him in stock form.

JacksonRally

Adventurer
This is all I have. This was in the Carizzo marsh in Anza-Borrego state park. I made it through this mud pit because I had more ground clearance and a $500 car. He stopped and high centered.

Shot from inside the LR2

This is what we were going through

Thats all I have. Ive been trying to talk him into more aggressive tires but all he wants is some skid plates. Aside from ground clearance it will walk all over my heavily modified Subaru.

Eniam17

Adventurer
The reliability of the LR2 has been excellent. The early ones did have a few diff issues here and there but even that was rare. I borrowed 2 different LR2's from the dealership for 3 or 4 days each and they are very nice vehicles. If the whole lineup of LR vehicles were as problem free as the LR2, the service shops would have nothing to do.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
It's truly a great vehicle. The perfect loaner car for the dealerships, and the perfect "gateway" Rover. Very reliable and reasonably priced, while very nicely designed.

Storz

Explorer
Stopped by and looked at one today, as much as I like them I think it might be a tad small for our needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

spikemd

Explorer
We researched a great many smaller SUVs for my father and he bought an LR2. He loves it. It drives smooth, is tight and iis surprisingly capable. It is on coils so ground clearance is limited but the traction control is excellent without a center diff lock. As mentioned, some earlier issues with diffs blowing up but they are rare. It is apparently the most reliable vehicle LR has built but maybe that is because it really is a Volvo drivetrain with Rover body and electronics.

A guy in the NorCal Rover club had one that he wheeled a bit and had no issues. He just upgraded to a D90.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94