Telescoping ladder to reach cargo box and solar panel on E350 van

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
I need a ladder to access the solar panel and cargo box on my E350 van. I mounted a solar panel and cargo box on our E350. The cargo box stores chairs, mosquito tent, sleeping pads, and other lightweight bulky gear. Works great...except it's hard to reach. I stepped on the tires last year to access the box. I cracked the Thule cargo box when I grabbed onto it for support. I will use the ladder every day on camping trips. However, we are not using it for going up and down from an RTT. The telescoping ladder will be nice to use around the home. On the other hand, a fixed ladder on the side of the vehicle is only useful on the van.

I considered the Aluminess driver side ladder. It will work, but only useful for accessing either the cargo box or the solar panel-not both.

The telescoping ladder seems like a great option. Lowes, Amazon, and Walmart sell telescoping ladders. RTT companies sell telescoping ladders that are made to access tents. I am making a broad assumption that all telescoping ladders are not created equal. If I was in the RTT business, I would copy a well-proven design and improve it specifically for RTTs. I will be contacting Tepui and Cascadia this week to ask about using telescoping ladders on my van.

Several folks on this forum use the Xtend telescoping ladder shown below.
1523200889336.png

I found an 8.5' Ohuhu on Amazon for $69 that looks decent.

OhuhuTelescopingLadder.jpg

Attachments

• 1523201115259.png
    1523201115259.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 17

coolfeet

Mark Keeler
The Rhino Rack ladder is nice for vertical bars. My bars are horizontal. It looks sturdy. Someone in this forum will find it very useful. Thanks!

fire_strom

Adventurer
I haven't seen an A frame version of that type of folding ladder. We use a straight version at work. Where did you find the A frame one?
-G

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Several folks on this forum use the Xtend telescoping ladder shown below.
1523200889336-png.441785
^^^^ This is what I use for my set up..
It has held up well for a few years now...

Prior to that I bought one similar to the second pic....
It lasted less than a year before the run clips started to fall off .....

grapemilk

I have the Amazon ladder. The only problem i've had is that the rubber feet like to come off. I'm gonna try some heavy duty adhesive.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the Xtend telescoping ladder. Although the rating/specs are better on paper with the competition they will not last. Been using the Xtend for several years and very happy.

IMG_20151010_184611.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94