Technitop RTT FS

go4aryd

Adventurer
Technitop RTT - SOLD

Reluctantly, I am offering my Technitop RTT. It is in excellent condition with no rips, tears, smells, netting is like new, etc. Stored on the trailer in my garage. There are some minor scuffs on the plastic shell and there is some minor wear just starting to appear on the soft cover. Cover is dirty (winter came too fast and I don't wash when it gets near freezing), and the photos show winter storage wrinkles. They do go away if you can leave it up just a little bit, but another storm was coming it yesterday and don't store wet! :) Asking $1250 obro (r= reasonable)

I love the hard shell. If I somehow make a mistake and either flip the trailer over or hit an unavoidable overhang (when on the rig), the tent is protected and I will still get some sleep that night. :) I used this on top of my FJ until I got a trailer. My wife is now going with me more than I ever dreamed, so I need to "grow" the tent size a little bit so she is comfortable. There is room for two, but we are getting more demanding in our older age.

Currently located in Boise. There is a possiblity of delivery depending on timing, distance and weather (west region only - sorry guys). The Technitop can fit in the bed of a full-size pickup for transport - just narrow enough folded up to fit.

Dimensions :
Length box (closed) - 43 inches
Length box (open) - 86 inches
Width - 51 inches
Height of box - 11 inches
Weight (no ladders) - 114 lbs

More details from MFGs site:

http://www.technitop.co.za

Last edited:

Jim1960

Observer
Reluctantly, I am offering my Technitop RTT. It is in excellent condition with no rips, tears, smells, netting is like new, etc. Stored on the trailer in my garage. There are some minor scuffs on the plastic shell and there is some minor wear just starting to appear on the soft cover. Cover is dirty (winter came too fast and I don't wash when it gets near freezing), and the photos show winter storage wrinkles. They do go away if you can leave it up just a little bit, but another storm was coming it yesterday and don't store wet! :) Asking $1250 obro (r= reasonable)

I love the hard shell. If I somehow make a mistake and either flip the trailer over or hit an unavoidable overhang (when on the rig), the tent is protected and I will still get some sleep that night. :) I used this on top of my FJ until I got a trailer. My wife is now going with me more than I ever dreamed, so I need to "grow" the tent size a little bit so she is comfortable. There is room for two, but we are getting more demanding in our older age.

Currently located in Boise. There is a possiblity of delivery depending on timing, distance and weather (west region only - sorry guys). The Technitop can fit in the bed of a full-size pickup for transport - just narrow enough folded up to fit.

Dimensions :
Length box (closed) - 43 inches
Length box (open) - 86 inches
Width - 51 inches
Height of box - 11 inches
Weight (no ladders) - 114 lbs

Interested
I've never seen an RTT like yours. A tent in a clam shell design. I was going to buy a Maggiolina, but they are too spendy. What is the difficulty rating for erecting this tent in high wind? How does it hold up in the rain with side winds?. I would assume it folds open like a clam. Can you snap a photo of it closed on the roof of your FJ. One more Q. How old is it? Thanks.

After reading up on it, the above questions have been answered except; how old is it?
Also, with the ladder terminating a few inches behind the door opening, is it not difficult to get in/out? It seems there would be a 2 inch lip that digs into your shin while getting in/out?

very interested now.

Last edited:

go4aryd

Adventurer
Getting in/out is easy. I sit on the edge, then turn around to come down the ladder.

I bought one year ago in literally like-new condition. Had been used about 10 times, but was immaculate. Mattress had never been used (they used a HD foam). I found I didn't need it. I also bought this type of RTT specifically for the incredible ventilation it provides with two, full-size doors, and additional two full size windows and the over-sized sunroof with/without the mesh and it can used with or without the fly covering it over that section! Also the waterproof fly is actually above, but OFF the tent when in use, so you get good airflow under it in good or bad weather. If that seems a little too cold, just lower the fly to contact the tent - all from INSIDE the tent. Very versatile system.

ALSO - I have the rest of the ladder - when I moved the tent to my trailer, I kept the lower extension and built a substitue out of EMT in case I ever went back to the roof of the FJ.

go4aryd

Adventurer
I have had a couple questions on the camp table in the first pic. SO, for all you enquiring minds, the table is out of my wife's 2002 Honda CRV. For several years, Honda actually built the tables into the back deck of the CRV (don't know about the Pilots from this year - newer ones do not). When her CRV was totalled in an accident I kept the table. Both legs fold into the table flat. The top, however does not fold any smaller. Works great with a truck or trailer, very fast to set up take down.

Guessing that your local salvage yard should have these pretty cheap.

Cambo

Adventurer
Looks like it opens to the rear, my question is, does it have to open from the rear? Can I mount it to open from the side? Thanks

go4aryd

Adventurer
I preferred open off the back on my rig, but preferred it off the side of the trailer. It can count either way. Just have to match up the RTT mounting rails to your mounts (rack, rails, etc.)

jrose609

Explorer
Bump for Dean. This is a nice tent. I've seen it firsthand.

Dean, did you still have a line on an m416?

Jim1960

Observer
I was wondering why everyone has this tent when open, mounted 50% off their truck tops, instead of letting the full rack system support the entire tent when open. The ladder is the problem I believe.

I don't like to way it hangs off the vehicular and needs extra aluminum support to function.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Still interested.

go4aryd

Adventurer
No - that orientation can also work. That was the first way I set it up on my rack. If my rack was flat (it isn't, it has a curve front to back), I probably would have left it that way since I already have a rack ladder on the back on my FJ.

The only real problem I see with that orientation idea, is you have to unpack everything off the roof rack before deploying the RTT. Rather than do that I would rather drop off the side or back - even though I don't usually have anything up there.

NothingClever

Explorer
The only real problem I see with that orientation idea, is you have to unpack everything off the roof rack before deploying the RTT.

Yup.

Rather than do that I would rather drop off the side or back - even though I don't usually have anything up there.

I have mine oriented to open over the rear of my truck in order to create a somewhat protected workspace at the end of the truck bed. In front of my tent, I've planned for a cargo box and a solar panel.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the ladder coming to the ground. I'm not saying there isn't one....just that I haven't encountered anything bad about it, IME.

FWIW, the seller's price is quite reasonable given the condition of the tent and these are considered a top of the line tent. No affiliation with the seller.

Best of luck in your research and final decision :smiley_drive:.

Jim1960

Observer
Would you happen to know the year of Mfg? According to the importer, past problems were fixed in later year editions. Would like to know if this is a newer or older model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94