Teardrops: Adventure Trailer VS. So Cal Teardrops

mkitchen

Explorer
Best of Both Worlds

Mo and I bought an AT Horizon last summer and we really love it. In the short time we have had it we have had it out many times. It is great to be able to be out for days and not see anyone, need anything and be comfortable.

We have just recently bought a Honda Pilot and decided to add a teardrop to our collection for road/bicycle trips. After researching teardrops quite a bit and finding that SoCal can build one with a bed that is 8 feet long (I am 6'7" and need some space) we were sold and went out to see them.

Both trailers came to within $100 of each other. Now we will have one for off road and one for road travel.
Mikey

ddog45

Adventurer
This thread is going to make people like me want to sell our chaser's and pursue a tear drop. Hint hint chaser #45 for sale soon.

Damaged 1

I to am very interested in the AT or socal tear drops........... The AT Horizon is also a darn cool set up ..... do any of you have opinions on the Pros and Cons of each ?........stuff to consider that someone might overlook when deciding . I have no experience with either of these trailers.......... but have been trying to do a lot of research .................. also.... anyone selling a used Horizon or Tear drop ?

jaxs1984

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice, etc.. I too am on the fence about a trailer with a RTT , teardrop or roof rails on my jeep with rtt.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I to am very interested in the AT or socal tear drops........... The AT Horizon is also a darn cool set up ..... do any of you have opinions on the Pros and Cons of each ?........stuff to consider that someone might overlook when deciding . I have no experience with either of these trailers.......... but have been trying to do a lot of research .................. also.... anyone selling a used Horizon or Tear drop ?

I think you might want to contact AdventureDuo directly - they had an AT Horizon they used for many years, and recently changed over to a Teardrop, so they have experience with both. Probably some good insight there.

We have a Horizon, but no experience with a Teardrop. So, with that limitation noted, here are my observations about the tradeoffs between these two approaches to an offroad trailer:

1. The teardrop probably has more comfortable sleeping arrangements. No need to climb up and down a ladder to get in/out of bed, no tent fabric flapping in the wind, perhaps a more comfy mattress. This may be the crucial advantage of the teardrop.

2. I like the kitchen facilities in the Horizon better. The door on the side cabinet folds down and makes a very convenient working surface. The teardrops have a shelf in the kitchen that could be used as a working surface, but it looks hard to reach when you have the stove and fridge freezer pulled out. Mind you, I've not used the kitchen facilities in the teardrop, these are just my observations from looking at them.

3. One of the nice things about the Horizon is the cavernous storage area inside the main trailer box. You can use it to store most anything you would camp with, including stuff that may be a little grungy or smelly. The teardrop has a lot of interior storage as well, but because you are storing stuff on top of your bed you need to give some thought to what you really want to store there. Also, it's all got to be emptied out before you go to bed, whereas with the Horizon the sleeping area is seperate from the gear storage area. What all this means to me is you need to give some thought to what you bring with you on your trips, how & where you would store it, and whether having gear storage seperate from your sleeping area is important to your camping "routine".

4. One last note, I really like the airbags that AT uses in their suspension system, and not because of their performance on the trail (although that is exemplary as well). It's an in camp convenience thing. It's well nigh impossible to find a completely level spot of dirt to camp on. We almost always use the airbags to help level the trailer for camping. Yes, there are other ways to accomplish that: a little strategic digging under one tire or the other, putting a wheel up on a block of wood or other platform, etc. But, none are anywhere near as convenient as letting a little air out of one side or the other. We carry a CO2 tank in the back of the FJ, so when it comes time to leave camp it's an equally simple matter to break out the air hose and refill an airbag to it's correct height for travel.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

Casper

Adventurer
I finally ended up going with the SoCal Kralwer 459 as well - may reasons as to why and pictures @ http://6wotg.blogspot.com.

Overall i'm thrilled with my choice!:smiley_drive:

So, not being all that computer savy, this may be a problem with my computer and not the link. When I opened your blog my computer went bullistic. Started opening a ton of windows on it's own and froze my system. Had to do a hard shut down to stop it. Figured I should let you know incase it's a probelm with the link.

Cheers,
Josh

gabepari

Explorer
So, not being all that computer savy, this may be a problem with my computer and not the link. When I opened your blog my computer went bullistic. Started opening a ton of windows on it's own and froze my system. Had to do a hard shut down to stop it. Figured I should let you know incase it's a probelm with the link.

Cheers,
Josh

Link works fine for me...

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader

Cheers,
Josh

Do you have protection?

chips95

Observer
Love it!

IMG_1144 copy.JPG

Going from a Conqueror Compact to the Teardrop, was like night and day, the Teardrop is so much more user friendly from camp setup (there really isn't much) to the cooking area, all around a much better choice, the only issue we have had is the loss of all our storage we had in the Conqueror. Sorry for the poser pic.

maXTERRA

Adventurer
One thing I find so appealing about the teardrop concept is very little time to quickly set up so you can at least get to bed.
A time or two's experience of setting up a tent late at night or in a storm is no fun!

Also a little safer and secure from any and all predators, or Zombies too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94