Teardrop-size slide-out/pop-up trailer with kitchen, toilet, shower

SBSYNCRO

An interesting way to optimize but there's no way I'd trust anything with mechanical slides or pop-ups on an off-road trailer. I rattle and bang the bejeezus out of mine - ANYTHING (and I mean ANYTHING) that can break eventually will. I can just imagine arriving at camp and not being able to open up or operate my entire camp setup because a slide popped off its track or a bolt head sheared off and fell into a worm gear...

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes I bet "off road" may have quite different meanings across the pond.

Then again Germans are often willing to pay the extra for some incredibly high quality engineering

Last edited:

billiebob

Pop up, plus a slide out, a 2 piece slide out..... do not ever leave a paved road..... and stop before crossing a speed bump.

Sorry but too many moving pieces for anything heading for washboard and potholes.

BoJackNorseman

Looks like Overkill's design. Overkill and their products get horrible reviews on this site and others (I think they've declared bankruptcy?)...can't imagine this one from Germany would fare any better.

ScottReb

Adventurer
We have a 10' long all-composite trailer that is finishing up for a spring release. Not much bigger than a 5x10 teardrop. On Cruisemaster suspensions, fully kitted out, kitchen, toilet/shower, queen bed and 3 person dinette that folds out for sleeping one.

Speedkills

This site is funny sometimes. Half seem to say the Kimberley Karavan is the best off-road trailer ever, the other half say anything with a popup or slide is worthless off-road.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
This site is funny sometimes. Half seem to say the Kimberley Karavan is the best off-road trailer ever, the other half say anything with a popup or slide is worthless off-road.

Perspective. Or lack there of.

If someone has only ever seen North American-made, disposable tupperware "trailers," their animosity towards slide outs and moving parts may be well earned. Those that have researched, seen, or used trailers that are actually well-made will have different opinions.

In concept it could be great, but in reality as many said, not sure I would trust it. Especially in northern climates like where I am in Northern Alberta. Freeze/Thaw, cold, hot, and so many unpaved roads. Just more things to go wrong.

In concept it could be great, but in reality as many said, not sure I would trust it. Especially in northern climates like where I am in Northern Alberta. Freeze/Thaw, cold, hot, and so many unpaved roads. Just more things to go wrong.
Couldn't you make that exact same argument about a 2021 JLUR vs an older and much more basic and low tech towing rig? ;)

If we can send nuclear subs to 3000', maintain a working facility at McMurdo Antarctica, and intentionally send complex airplanes into and through hurricanes, I think we have the ability to build some fairly complex and reliable campers. I think the question is whether folks are willing to pay for the added cost of making all that new tech and added complexity reliable and functional when bounced around off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior