Teardrop Recommendations

NetDep

Adventurer
We have a Little Guy Rough Rider 5 wide that we enjoy very much. The build quality is good and it is handling what we put it through very well. I would love a Moby1 or AT teardrop, but our trailer fits our needs and didn't break the bank. The standard Rough Rider model that we have would not cover all of your needs, but the combo model like Hilldweller and NetDep would probably work very well for you. Good luck with your search.

I really do LOVE your trailer!! I really like the double awnings and will have to give that some thought -- makes a lot of sense especially when boondocking!! Also - both doors have cover so if you are a couple either has protection getting in/out. Brilliant. Great looking rig too - nice match to the tow vehicle! You are lucky to live in UT with all that open land and nice weather --- not as much rain as here!!

Also looking for teardrop

Luk4mud,

I have been going thru the same search as you. Would love a Moby1 but was trying to avoid spending $20k. I also saw a Lil Buddy advertised which looks fairly nice but I can't find any info on them. Were you able to find info on Lil Buddy? I also was considering a cargo conversion since the trailer shell comes pre-built, its pretty straightforward to switch axles if needed, and I am handy enuf for the interior work. Look at Jeff Wanamog thread on cargo conversion for a build of beauty. The cargo conversion is also something that you can design and probably find a local builder to do for you. A little roomier build that you can keep as simple and as light as you want.
Netdep
I appreciated your Little Guy assessment since I was was some what skeptical of their product just from reading various comments on the little guy forum. Did you consider the 6 wide platform without the Rough Rider extras? My use plan will be the same as Luk4mud and I will reserve my travel to forest service roads so I am still not convinced I need the skids.

NetDep

Adventurer
Luk4mud,
Did you consider the 6 wide platform without the Rough Rider extras? My use plan will be the same as Luk4mud and I will reserve my travel to forest service roads so I am still not convinced I need the skids.

Luk,

Always nice to see more comments!! There are several great trailer makers out there - Moby1 and Adventure come to mind - and it seems that for a featured teardrop the price is consistently around the $20-25k range. I was almost assured at this since it did not seem I was being ripped off!! I did not consider the Silver Shadow 6X10 without the Rough Rider frame/features since it was the plan from inception to have an off road capable teardrop. If I were to assess the trailer apart from the Rough Rider --- the Silver Shadow cabinets, fit & finish, birch interiors are gorgeous and I think a person would be happy with that trailer - as I recall for a 6X10 Silver Shadow it is in the $9k range.

I also read some scathing reviews of Little Guy on this forum and carefully assessed all that was written and went to the dealer and looked at several models. I also crawled in one, shut the door and read a magazine for about half an hour. I was not sure if I could "handle" being in a teardrop but as it turns out I enjoy it quite a bit. If you are shopping with a spouse I would suggest going to a dealer and shutting yourself in one to try it out. There are several people, it seems, that don't think they would be happy/comfortable in a teardop. I must say that the improvment over a tent - electricity, very little setup, the comfy bed, TV, having many creature comforts right there - is sooooo nice!!

A cargo conversion would be fun (and stealth) and I considered it to the extent of looking at Wells Cargo trailers with an eye to making it a travel trailer - best of luck however you go and eager to see your outcome!!!

luk4mud

Explorer
Great posts in this thread, keep the ideas coming.

Whiskey, I cannot find any info on the Lil Buddy. I dont understand who they are, what all they build, whether they are still in business etc A great mystery so far.

I am reconsidering, based upon all this good input, a few items:
-Queen bed seem more practical. Just have to get reacquainted with the spouse I guess.
-Weight of 1500 dry seems more realistic. How much can a manual tranny JKU 3.6l realistically tow?
-Closer consideration of the LG product given 2 members' favorable input.
-Pricing more in the 12-15k range new.

Buying new from one of the the main line builders is the most viable option for me. However, I am going to talk to a custom builder in Pasadena in the next few days, and also look at a couple of used units. What I see advertised used in my area is not very appealing from a price standpoint. These things really hold their value (so far).

I will keep updating this thread with my research and thoughts.

jim65wagon

Great posts in this thread, keep the ideas coming.

Whiskey, I cannot find any info on the Lil Buddy. I dont understand who they are, what all they build, whether they are still in business etc A great mystery so far.

I am reconsidering, based upon all this good input, a few items:
-Queen bed seem more practical. Just have to get reacquainted with the spouse I guess.
-Weight of 1500 dry seems more realistic. How much can a manual tranny JKU 3.6l realistically tow?
-Closer consideration of the LG product given 2 members' favorable input.
-Pricing more in the 12-15k range new.

Buying new from one of the the main line builders is the most viable option for me. However, I am going to talk to a custom builder in Pasadena in the next few days, and also look at a couple of used units. What I see advertised used in my area is not very appealing from a price standpoint. These things really hold their value (so far).

I will keep updating this thread with my research and thoughts.

Can't help you much on the process or manufacturer to purchase a teardrop, but if you ever decide to build one feel free to ask questions!

What I can help with is: We have a King size bed in the house, and a near-Queen size in the teardrop. After 2 years and 30+ nights in the teardrop, I can say there is no problem for us living with the Queen size bed.

skibum315

Explorer
Also worth considering the Backpacker from Three Feathers ... Hackster went this route for his trailer, on a recent Alaska trip. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/111217-Hackster-s-Backpacker-Trailer

Short version: a cargo conversion for the set that's willing to have it built.
All said and done there is a laundry list of really cool stuff. Here are a few highlights.

15 Gallon on board water storage tank
On Board propane hot water heater
Outdoor shower
60x 80 sleeping area finished with a fantastic fan 12 volt lighting 110 volt outlets and satelite hookup
kitchenette area in rear with 12v pump hot and cold water and storage
12 v lighting above cabinets and under cabinet lighting
1.5" DOM tubing for the side steps and diamond plate top plating
spring over 3500# axle
2x4 .120 main frame rails and cross members
adjustable front hich with Pintle option
On board battery
Dual Propoane tanks
1.5" aluminum rack on top
Flush rear trailer support stands
Flush front trailer foot
15x8" Black aluminum wheels
33x10.50x15 BFG All Terrain tires

luk4mud

Explorer
we have the 5 wide Silver Shadow since last year and pulled through 18 states in three weeks with a 2011 Wrangler (the 3.8 machine) and there was no reason to complain, quite the opposite ... even though it had to work harder art some mountainsb in the Rockies ;-)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Qo2meKpW-BGmLo4kRJAlNwo_BrJrV8hMyevb-3iI3g=w326-h216-p-no

Good to know and thats a nice looking unit. The wife and I are going to look at a Lil Buddy teardrop this weekend. Belonged to a deceased family member. Not sure exactly what the specs are on it but will post up when we get back.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
We just ordered a Little Guy - we looked at some others, and decided to give the LG a try.

It is a 5x8 Silver Shadow on a Rough Rider frame. This will be a specialized unit - I've asked them to remove some standard features, and add a non-standard feature. (I will write a build thread when the trailer gets delivered - I have several modifications planned.)

Dealing with LG has been very easy. They have been more than willing to accommodate my special requests, and the price turned out to be quite reasonable. The dealer I am working with is also great to work with - very understanding.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just to really mess with your head, look at Camp Inn Trailers.
http://tinycamper.com/teardropmodels.htm

f09a2.jpg

RangerDanger

Similar Dilemma

Hey Luk4mud,
I am in a similar predicament. I will be returning home to North Ga from Afghanistan in Jan and am going to build an "off road" teardrop to my specifications. I have been researching this unique form of camping and have found as you have, uniqueness comes with a price that I am not willing to pay. That being said, I have spec'd out my TD and with materials and $1K worth of hired labor, I can build mine for around $5K; allowing for a little wiggle room for unforeseen expenses.
My particular model is 6Wx12Lx5H, has stubby torsion axles, 15" Black wheels and 31" tires, I am going with a ply exterior with a roll on bed liner type coating for durability and waterproofing. I am going to save the expense and labor of wiring for internal and galley lights by using battery operated LED lanterns. Should my build go according to plan, I intend to start a business building TDs for others, I have already begun drawing up the business proposal. The SE USA could use a good TD builder.

Your situation has multiple concerns, not the least of which is your need for a King size bed. This of course can be remedied by buying a utility trailer that meets the desired width or framing out past your wheel width and placing your mattress above the wheel wells. It can be done but you will lose the classic TD look by building past your wheels; kinda like the R-Pod.
You can also save on build time/ labor by going with a non traditional shape. Modified wedges with a squared off galley are much easier to build than the curved ends.
In the end, it all depends on what you want and what you are willing to accept. There are many ways to cut costs in the convenience area and still have a comfortable, safe TD.
Should you still be in the market come Spring, look me up. I may be able to help you out.
Regards
RangerDanger

Just starting to research trailers. As my wife and I approach the empty nest days, we look to travel more. She does not sleep in a tent willingly and does not do any offroading beyond maybe a difficult forest service road. We plan to camp remotely for a couple days at a time them get a motel room and cleanup/ get more supplies, then go back out again.

So here is my perfect teardrop, with the above in mind.
-King bed, ceiling vent/ fan
-Big doors with lots of screen space
-On board water, 10 gal will do
-Small 12 volt rechargeable system with on board 12 volt, do not need 110 though
-Galley space and tie downs for a Yeti, do not need a 12 volt fridge
-2 burner stove and propane storage with external hookup for bbq
-Heavier duty axle and larger tires, pintle hitch system
-Dry weight around 1000 or less
-What we dont need: heater, a/c, stereo, shore power, etc
-Well made at a reasonable price

The last condition seems to be the hardest to meet. I have read virtually all of Hilldweller's thread on the Little Guy. No thanks to LG. OTOH, 20k+ for a "high end" teardrop is not going to happen in my house either. What other options are there out there?

luk4mud

Explorer
Those Travel Inns sure are purdy!

I like the Backpacker as well. Brief internet research (I know dangerous) popped up a few negative reviews though.

RangerDanger, I like your KISS approach. Thanks for your service and I wish you well stateside with the potential new business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz