Teardrop Dilemma

Saint Nick

That's gonna be a great trailer when complete (y) Love the teardrops, and would deffo build my own rather than buy.

Nick

46flattie

Observer
Been working on skirts for the inside of the fenders....came up with using HDPE plastic. My fenders are supported by the trailer frame with no connection to the cabin. Therefore, I plan to "sandwich" the fender between some fender beading and the HDPE skirt. So the beading will be on the cabin side, the skirt on the tire side with the steel fender flange in the middle. Planning to rivet it all together and bolt on. Here's a shot with the skirt sized up.

Attachments

• IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 37

46flattie

Observer
The original factory fender mounting was a joke...the plastic fender (OK for its intended purpose on the street) was mounted directly to the side of the trailer with (7) #10x3/4 pan head screws with some caulk. They were sagging from the get go....they could have at least put some fender washers in the mix!

Louisd75

Adventurer
The original factory fender mounting was a joke...the plastic fender (OK for its intended purpose on the street) was mounted directly to the side of the trailer with (7) #10x3/4 pan head screws with some caulk. They were sagging from the get go....they could have at least put some fender washers in the mix!
Having a fender sturdy enough to stand on is very handy. Mine are round but I still use them regularly to get access to the roof for checking the awning hardware.

46flattie

Observer
I'm with you, fender you can stand on!...I struggled with round vs. "jeep" style. Round in my opinion looks better on a teardrop, but my wife suggested "Jeep" style for the flat fender practicality of having an extra shelf...she always wins!

46flattie

Observer
Getting ready to send the frame off for powder coating....finished welding on the fender supports (which were just tacked on for fitting) and added a couple rear frame /bumper stiffeners, some expanded metal in the front and some tap plates for axle bump stops.

Attachments

• IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2781.JPG
    IMG_2781.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

46flattie

Observer
Guess I never thought about galvanizing and I am not sure if anyone around here does that...we have a local shop here that will sand blast and powder-coat it for around $300. They did my M-416 and it has been very durable.

I see in your signature you list Charlevoix and ski patrol...(among other things) are you local to MI?

Lucky j

Explorer
Guess I never thought about galvanizing and I am not sure if anyone around here does that...we have a local shop here that will sand blast and powder-coat it for around $300. They did my M-416 and it has been very durable.

I see in your signature you list Charlevoix and ski patrol...(among other things) are you local to MI?

What is nice about galvenisation, is that the frame is dipped in a bath, so inside and outside are protected and the result is extremely durable over a very very long time.

As for Charlevoix, nope, not the same region. Lol. It is Charlevoix Quebec. But I did ski before in northern michigan in Nubs nub and Chrystal a little lower. I did work in northern Indiana and Patrolled Swiss valley for a few years. Made some really good friend. When I came back to Quebec, I went back to my original mountain, Le Massif de Charlevoix Québec. :p

46flattie

Observer
Lucky J...I thought that Quebec might be the case, but had to ask. Now I see it in your signature as an address vs. standalone.

I ski Crystal Mtn regularly and live just minutes away. Nub Nob occasionally.

I likely have some distant relatives up your way...Papineau

Lucky j

Explorer
Lucky J...I thought that Quebec might be the case, but had to ask. Now I see it in your signature as an address vs. standalone.

I ski Crystal Mtn regularly and live just minutes away. Nub Nob occasionally.

I likely have some distant relatives up your way...Papineau

Nice! But I have to admit that I know about the Papineau name, but I have never met any personnaly. Probably more toward Montreal are, way west of me. In my case, it is Levesque.

I would have to search a bit, but i beleive that the first one arrived in New-France in the 1600. But I know that Papineau were here a long time ago. Make a search for Louis-Joseph Papineau. I think you will have a nice surpried. :)

billiebob

So a few updates.....quick shot of the rear bumper....View attachment 493695

Rear shackles.....and weld on jack mounts for leveling
View attachment 493697

Was going to fab my fenders from scratch, but Mccool's idea was just too easy, $26 each for fenders, a couple of cuts to the back of the flange "knee", spread from 110 degrees to 120 degrees, re-weld and viola! a fender that will fit a 33. Fender mounting is designed, hope fab up this coming weekend. Plan to skirt in front and behind the fender with some 2x1 tubing for bash guards doubling as fender mounts and will trim off the excess fender falling below.View attachment 493709
There is the reason old tech is better...... longer leaf springs.
Keep the frame and sptings and butcher the heck out of the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94