Teardrop corners

jwiereng

I have been inspired by the work of jscherb and came up with this idea. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I like the radius that is possible using fiberglass as shown in the thread of modular trailer components. What if it were possible to get some metal (Alu or SS) tube bent to form the skeleton of the teardrop. I was thinking 3-4 inch diameter tubes. Then slice this tube down the centre to get left and right sides. Attach sheet material for walls and roof. Use a flexible sheet to conform to the corner.

What if this sheet material was made of the same metal as the tube? Would it be reasonable to entirely weld the "skin" to the skeleton? No caulks, no leaks, no wood, no rot. Spray foam from the inside and you might have a trailer good for sun, rain, cold, snow and Canada.

pkcub

Banned
This is not new. look at u-hall. Any truck trailer repair shop Will have a lot to choose from. The outfit I got my Modular Chuck wagon fiberglass component kit. Uses them in other parts they manufacturer .It will be hard to find someone with a bead roller that big for SS metal. How do you plan to cut tubes. SS metal is not light. Do you have a tig welder. I payed >$6.00 a running foot. Have seen FG profiles at $5.00 a foot, 4'' steel $7.35 A running foot. I have at this time the 90% corners. They have a R13'' R15&3/4'',r30'' r48'' I am planing to replace the front 90% with the R15&3/4 for better air flow

27xnwq8.jpg

jwiereng

I had in mind that the tubes could be cut with a bandsaw. A powered shears might also work

Would and exhaust tube bender work on a 3 or 4 inch tube?

pkcub

Banned
Maybe light SS .how are you going to keep ALM. from cracking. Do just a few pieces bend weld see how it goes keep track of your time and cost . It takes me 5 mi. per joint on the FG.

jwiereng

Could you direct me to the source of your FG profiles? I would also like to see some othe pictures of how you used FG profiles

pkcub

Banned
I received mine from The fiberglass store e-Bay . If you see something listed email them . e-bay charges fees on shipping,sales If you buy from them you don't pay the fees. I believe it can be 20 percent. I have decided not to use the 90% for the front. Would like to use there R15 Pisces for better air flow.There back order. I am contemplating going with parts from Rockwell .Will have to do some work on them to get my desired affect .
This trailer top is all I am using there parts on.
My brother is ordering parts to build a shed. That will happen in June.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94