Teardrop #4

Teardropper

Here we go (again).

w3OkyhV.jpg

It's all .120 2" tube.

YEOBN5a.jpg

Here's the removeable coupler:

PyKyosr.jpg

No more leaving the teardrop in camp and wondering how hard it would be to defeat the coupler lock.

Here's what she'll look like:

BWGmMMC.png

The skeleton's are nearly finished:

8f82lu8.jpg

(y)

T

Teardropper

Working on doors. Here's the layout:

ocx9SFx.jpg

And the door stop and seal:

lhbSx1v.jpg

jOB4HsX.jpg

I was hoping to get away with a 1/4" spacer but Trim-Lock says 25%-50% compression. I think I'm at about 30% with an extra 1/8" added in.

T

Teardropper

Cutting the hatch ends.

URUDS3m.jpg

I dithered on whether to use the jigsaw or a template and router.

4AXdZEh.jpg

It came out fine. Even in the curve it was a near-90º cut. I think this is the secret: A good stiff blade, a perfectly scribed line and to go slooooow.

T

Teardropper

Doors.

I used a jig to ensure the hinges were set at 90º.

ieFjMn1.jpg

I removed the faux door and temporarily installed the hinges on the door.

orCshLf.jpg

Once on I squared up the door in the opening and screwed the hinges to the wall.

GYzqpbX.jpg

The hinges will be held in with #10 machine screws and T-nuts. The nuts in the wall be hidden under the door stop. The door t-nuts will be hidden by the interior skin.

(y) Who needs those $800 factory doors, anywho? (I'm missing them.)

T

Teardropper

I got the floor framed out today and temporarily joined with gussets.

l43DN1R.jpg

It'll be sheathed with 1/4" plywood, top and bottom. The voids will be filled with foam board.

The plywood is for support for the rear bulkhead, battery, water jug and blocking for the heater. That second 1x4" is for support for the headboard.

T

Teardropper

I got the foam board installed in the floor and the top and bottom sheaths of 1/4" ply. It's stiff.

Here's the build base:

wX8kGZV.jpg

And the floor with epoxy slathered on the bottom surface:

3PTLEwN.jpg

T(y)

andysgreenxj

Observer
I'm in the building stages of a teardrop themed trailer build myself, and i'm very curious as to where you purchased the large sheets of fiberglass from. Every place that I've looked, i can only get it in 4x4 pieces...your trailer is looking great so far!

Teardropper

I'm in the building stages of a teardrop themed trailer build myself, and i'm very curious as to where you purchased the large sheets of fiberglass from. Every place that I've looked, i can only get it in 4x4 pieces...your trailer is looking great so far!

I'm not using fiberglass sheets. I'm using fiberglass cloth and impregnating it with epoxy. It seals the wood, glues the fibers together and makes it waterproof. You still need to protect it from UV rays.

Here's an overview of how it's done:

It's not rocket science.

T

another_mike

Adventurer
I'm not using fiberglass sheets. I'm using fiberglass cloth and impregnating it with epoxy. It seals the wood, glues the fibers together and makes it waterproof. You still need to protect it from UV rays.

Here's an overview of how it's done:

It's not rocket science.

T
Not rocket science but definitely a skill.. one which I don’t have lol

In my limited use of playing with glass, my epoxy mix started hardening way too fast, uneven application, snagging threads with the fiberglass.... the guy in the video makes it look easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles