teaching my boy how to ride!!!!! Very excited!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well. a small bit of background. My son has autism so things are a little harder for him. He is awesome...and I want to get him in the back country as much as possible. I have a brand new 24" MTB (bigboxbike), and he's been trying to ride it for the past few days. I can feel him getting the hang of it. We ride around my property with me "holding" his seat. He rides a big wheel scooter no issues and can balance that no problem. So, I pulled out his bike and we are learning to ride! He's starting to get the feel for balance. brakes and stopping are the issue ha ha. But I cannot wait till we can hit the trails together. Coming soon!

SnoViking

Adventurer
I have two daughters, now 7 and 9, and my youngest one picked up bike-riding like she was born with it around 4. My oldest one was a different story; She's always been a bit more timid and calculating. Last year she "worked" really hard at the whole bike thing and it just wouldn't stick. She also has a 16" tire scooter which she was a pro at. She was really discouraged and upset by the fall. This April, she asked if I could get her bike out so she could ride (not the scooter); and BOOM! She was off and riding. It was like a switch flipped. I had an ear to ear smile for about a week. I was/am so proud of her. The two of them ride around almost every afternoon no all over the neighborhood. I grew up riding bikes with friends, everyday, going everywhere. I love riding bikes and the happiness and freedom it provides.

Tell your son crongrats from me and keep up the good work!

kojackJKU

yep. I was always a "biker" whether a MX/motorcycle, to freestyle bikes, to MTBs. I love 2 wheels. I think I'm going to give him one more lesson with me going with him, and then hes just going to get on and ride it. if he falls, he will be fine.

SnoViking

Adventurer
Yeah the whole falling thing is a lesson they just have to learn. My oldest was having trouble balancing. She got the mechanics but was all over the place. I actually threw a set of pegs on the rear and stood on the back while she rode around. I helped her balance and she pedaled away. I think that helped her figure out the whole counter steering balance thing.

kojackJKU

what an awesome Idea. If he don't "get it" in a few days, I will do that! thanks for the tip.

kojackJKU

Well...the little fart is riding up and down our driveway now!!!! sooooo happy and excited!!!!!

kojackJKU

He is catching on so fast. Now he's bombing up and down the dirt areas on our property....ha ha. !!!!!

kojackJKU

Yeah I am stoked. He just got on after a couple of times of me holding the bike, and rode...it was awesome! I started him on grass more to give him something "softer" to fall on, but I think it made him progress much faster because of how much harder it is to ride on. So, time to do some trips with our bikes!

Now, to get the wifey a new Full suspension, sell my cheap one, and get a new one for me....and get the little man something GOOD!

spacer

Observer
Awesome!

I've trained many a young-un and a few adults even, and I usually start out by dropping their saddle and removing the pedals. They can kick their way around a parking lot and feel comfortable being able to put their feet on the ground. Before ya know it, they're kicking themselves further along and eventually beg you to put the pedals on. I'll wait until they can show me 180 degree turns to the left and the right without touching the ground.
I'll put the pedals back on, and raise the seat a little. You want the ride height to be proper before they start really putting any energy into the pedals, but not all the way up just yet.

Once they're pedaling comfortably, I raise the seat again. You'll want the leg to be just slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

So far, 100% first-day success rate with kids and adults both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94