Tatra vs MB crewcab 6x6

bowpay

The plot thickens AGAIN... Just got off the phone with a shop that works on the Tatras. They said that they recently had a transmission job that took 2 different shops and about $50k to rebuild the Twin Disc transmission!! I then spoke to a dealer that sells parts for the transmission. He basically said that the transmissions are great but a rebuild could set you back $15k-20k. I asked the mechanic to find information about swapping in the Tatra manual transmission and costs associated. If we are above $15k for this transmission then the Tatra is a dead end. :cry: The lead mechanic is expected back on the 24th so I will talk to him and see what he says. BTW anyone wanting a Tatra should wait till a Government auction comes up because the Tatras are selling for$30k-$45k. The mechanic also said that the hard part is working on the transmission because its back away from the engine. They said the hard part was working around the fire truck box. He also said that if the box was removable using a crane it would save time and money. That might be possible with the sub frame but would have to think about the connection to the gray water tank.

Sitec

Adventurer
Yikes! You like challenges eh! That's tall money. Dont forget that independant suspension is all well and good, but there are a huge amount of bushes and moving parts open to the elements... With the HL7 axles on the Merc you have a lot less stuff to worry about. Re box removal, if you build it based on a 20' shipper dimensions, using twist locks, then it's easily removed. The battery and water connections are the easy part. Also means your box will fit any truck...

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
If the gearbox or anything else that needs access from above where the box will be then you could add access hatches in the camper floor. A day removing internal stuff is much easier and cheaper than lifting the box off perhaps?
If the gearbox needs to go up to come out then that's a different thing!
What happens if the internals of the chassis tube need servicing? Splitting that would mean what for the camper box and it's sub frame?
The build in Neil's link extended his chassis (almost four years from purchase and counting!!!). The leaf springs on that don't look very flexy independently sprung or not! Big lumps needing some weight to get them to move I would think? Maybe springs can be swapped out for ones more appropriate to your final weight?
What's wrong with the gearbox currently in the Tatra?
Can't you extend, or build on top of, the subframe there already?
I doubt you would actually get ripped off by a German truck dealer but they don't do cheap!

tooFATtoDRIVE

The plot thickens AGAIN... Just got off the phone with a shop that works on the Tatras. They said that they recently had a transmission job that took 2 different shops and about $50k to rebuild the Twin Disc transmission!! I then spoke to a dealer that sells parts for the transmission. He basically said that the transmissions are great but a rebuild could set you back $15k-20k. I asked the mechanic to find information about swapping in the Tatra manual transmission and costs associated. If we are above $15k for this transmission then the Tatra is a dead end. :cry: The lead mechanic is expected back on the 24th so I will talk to him and see what he says. BTW anyone wanting a Tatra should wait till a Government auction comes up because the Tatras are selling for$30k-$45k. The mechanic also said that the hard part is working on the transmission because its back away from the engine. They said the hard part was working around the fire truck box. He also said that if the box was removable using a crane it would save time and money. That might be possible with the sub frame but would have to think about the connection to the gray water tank.
Hi

hmmmmm, oh so lovely....
fb91ccd5b906ac6818deee51c97b60c3-jpg.545415

Have you ended up with Tatra after all? I really like them, especially these slightly modern ones from your pics.

I am not familiar with a Twin Disc transmission mounted in these, I gather is combines a transfer case and a gearbox into one unit. Did you, at the time of your call, get any additional info about this particular transmission? On one hand there was a need to rebuild a transmission, on another the parts dealer said these were great. So, a little bit of conflicting messages.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier