Tatra T815 my saga ...,

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I'm glad it is safe and sound now. I look forward to watching you progress,

T815

Observer
e4ajyre7.jpg

So here is the first photo of my Tatra stateside pictured on my transporters hotshot after leaving the port, more to follow soon

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Congrats! I love the photo with the axles all wonky - just like a pinzgauer... I've always wanted a photo of a 8x8 Tatra with a Pinzgauer 6x6 on the back and then a Haflinger 4x4 on the back of the Pinzgauer...

I would love to see it in person some time. Looks like a nice one.

There is a guy here in WA state with two 8x8 T813s (one's for parts).

T815

Observer
I would love to see it in person some time. Looks like a nice one.

There is a guy here in WA state with two 8x8 T813s (one's for parts).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it's in good all around condition, 1 owner 77k miles, all Tatra's except the very latest suffer from poor quality paint, so all the driveline has cosmetic rust spots, the cabin is good but there is some corrosion at the bottom edge sides, won't know how bad until I get it apart, but at this stage I do not plan on using the cab.
I know of the WA guy, 813's require quite bit of work to make a daily type driver, cab quality is really poor except the armored versions .

Christyler

watching this thread with interest, i am in the process of looking for a 815 as well. any pointers links would be most welcome.

T815

Observer
watching this thread with interest, i am in the process of looking for a 815 as well. any pointers links would be most welcome.

Thx for interest, Re T815 what type were you looking for civilian - military 4x4 6x6 8x8, 2 dr 4dr, planetary axles or reg' hubs, I continually stay looking for Tatra's in Germany, Poland, Czech & Slovakia ?
Re my route of import, when I bring in a spares truck, I will disassemble for container shipping, CZ & DE have the river Elbe w/ container ports can ship east coast & thru' to Chicago IL, thats the way I will ship on the next one

T815

Observer
Don't want to say anything negative, but they are all units for sale in Europe on open auto websites, he even had my truck posted at 1 time on his web, mine is the only private imported T815 Tatra in the USA, besides the 2 that slipped by the rules in the late 90's by farmer in OR. Vermont doesn't have any Tatra's to show you, enough said

T815

Observer
Vermont Unimog has a couple of Tatra's listed on their website - might be worth a call.

http://www.vermont-unimog.com/

Is there a difference in the top speed of the regular hub version vs. the planetary hub versions?

Yes their is a difference, you will not see any planetary hubs in Dakar & Rallye Raid trucks, so their is always a trade off, you can get a hi speed auxiliary o/d box but it would not match non planetary, also bare in mind speed limits on the tyres, most of all the large OD tyres are limited to 55mph, Dakar trucks run 14.00xR20 49" OD where as in TruckTrials most competitors use 53" OD as in 16.00 series size, either type hub trucks can exceed the tyre rated speed. FYI most the civilian Tatra's are non planetary use 445/65x22.5 what the US calls Super Singles these are referred to as Agro models, S1-2-3 series with dual rear tyres are 11.00 or 12.00 x 24" a rare size over here mainly used in Logging & Oilfield service

T815

Observer
Earlier in my postings I had mentioned about shortening the front overhang to increase approach angle, below are pics from a very successful TrialTruck competitor Stanek

This is what Stanek started out with, pretty rough !
image.jpg

Fully rebuilt & set for competition, VVN 6x6 is non-turbo V12
image.jpg

Then later updated to Terrn0 specs, V8 turbo, shorten cab & chassis front overhang.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94