Tarp Material and how to attach it to itself.

Unholy

I'm going to be building a expedition type trailer with a RTT on it, however, I'm not impressed with the current RTT's. I'm wanting to make my own and have seen Tarps used for many things. I've searched, watched videos, searched forums, but have yet to find answers that aren't confusing. I'm looking at using a tarp for my material. The issue I have, is understanding it all. Seems several sites say the opposite. One site said you can't sew polyethylene, other appears to show it. So, who here has used tarps for their builds? Can you tell me what types of sealing, taping or fastening you used? Best hemming methods? Which tarps to use, or stay away from... what can be sewn or heat sealed. It is driving me nuts watching videos of cool stuff made with tarps, but they don't mention thickness, Denier, material type or anything useful. My tent will be simple, but I still plan to have windows and other things I need to cut, reinforce, add, and seal.

susswein

Observer
The standard blue tarps are often used by sailors making their own small boats.

I would try googling blue tarp sail.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
There are many different types and materials for tarps.

What specifically about current RTT materials makes you want to use a tarp? Weight? Waterproofing? Cost? Availability? You could conceivably buy tarps made from the same materials as RTT now. Look into the various options from a tarp manufacturer for truckingor industrial use and you will find many materials that can be sewn easily, or even glued. I haven’t done this myself, having limited my stuff to small sewing projects, but I’ve bought lots of industrial tarp in my life.

Unholy

Waterproof, Very cheap and available. The materials I've seen used for RTT's, just are not cost effective for me or that available. I've been to numerous material stores, most have suggested tarps as being the best solution. I tried sewing a cheap blue tarp, it didn't hold up at all. I might try a thicker medium or heavy duty one and try that. I don't think tape would hold or glue over a long period of use. I might be wrong though. I watched a video of a guy making bags, sewing them or even heat sealing, but he doesn't mention what materials, brands, etc he is using. I wish I knew! :unsure: I am looking to do it, do it as best as I can for as cheap as I can. I just can't justify paying $3.5K for something that isn't even made here in the USA and so many are horrid colors, or have stitching that is absurd. Black with super white stitching and trim? Yuck :sick:... and the plastering of logos the size of dinner plates. I know I can do batter for a fraction. I just need to find someone who has done work with tarps, what is best to use... then I can get it done. My tent is much more simple than those brand RTT's. Might not be as light, but if I can spend $300 instead of $3K... I am all for it! :cool:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Well, polyethylene melts at about 230 F. I’m sure you could figure out how to weld it with a soldering iron or similar. However, I suspect that there are lots of barriers to success. Fumes and fire are the first things that come to my mind.

In general though, canvas tarps are easily available. Your location says Michigan, you can’t be far from marine shops that have large canvas available for sails (look around Traverse City / Charlevoix / Harbor Springs) or decks or Bimini tops (look everywhere).

But... you aren’t going to beat $3k if you’re shopping Marine sources.

You also need a massive space to work in. Have you ever seen a sailmakers floor? Think multiple basketball courts together. I’m guessing laying out a tent is at least a half-court project.

maybe get a part time job at a Marina and use it as a learning experience? Or join a sailing club?

LilKJ

Adventurer
Having built my share of tents I can tell you that buying tarps is going to cost you more than buying the correct fabrics and you will likely end up with an inferior end product. If you simply want waterproof and UV resistance, go with sunbrella, ottertex, or something like that. If you want longevity, go with waxed canvas or some of the other duck/sailcloths. You can obviously trade cost for time if you are willing to wax and waterproof yourself, but that's rarely worth it either.

Build yourself a prototype tent out of cheap wholesale cotton fabric. I buy a lot of my materials from Big Duck Canvas.

Unholy

Nat, yes. The stuff I bought to mess with and see, seems to low of grade to work with. I highly doubt it waterproof. The weave is very large, 3/16 wide. It was a cheapy. Sewing machine went right through it, but after sewn, the seam was rather weak. I did another using a double flap, same thing. It is very thin as well. I looked for some canvas but nothing I found was waterproof or UV resistant. I did search for truck tarps, wow, a bit pricey and huge. For $270... I could make many from that. I do live in Michigan, I did try a local place that does covers for boats and boat upholstery, but she wasn't interested even at paying her the normal rates she charges and promoting her business. I heard from some, she's go down hill the her work past couple years. ? I much further south and inland, however, there are many, many marinas around. Lake shore is about a hour drive.

My work area is about 24' x 40'. However, the size of my tent is only going to be about 4' x 4' x 8'. So rather small. The main body, very, very simple. I just want to be able to add windows/screens and some covered openings. A rainfly also. I am pretty confident my design wouldn't take much more than $300 to build. I will look into the materials you suggested LilKJ. I'm not familiar with sailcloths, I will look into it. John, Thanks for the name. I'll also check that out. I just need a material that isn't stupid expensive that I can either glue, sew, tape, weld or fasten into a weatherproof shell that I can fold up.

Thanks for the input guys.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’ve ordered from Big Duck Canvas before. It went well. Sailrite has a lot of the track and other bits in addition to sewing machines. Strapworks for buckles, straps, fittings. I’ve never bought or installed a zipper, but Google is your friend there.

high-and-dry

look up sylpoly or silnylon. its the very slick very water proof cloth used to make high end tents and tarps. Its tricky to sew because its very slippery. One trick is to use silicon seam sealer to glue the joints then sew them after it cures. Thats how I did my awning.

KryRGAI.jpg

ottsville

Observer
The cheapest way would be to roll up on a jobsite and ask the guys for some of their roll of tyvek. Ask the right guy and you can probably get a decent size roll for a case of beer. And no sewing needed - you can put it all together with tape.

Kolockum

Adventure Nut
See if any local sail makers who have old sails you can buy supper cheap.

I built a 5x10 awning on my camper using https://www.seattlefabrics.com/61-WeatherMAX-65-Polyester-1450-linier-yard_p_59.html. Sewed it using a $80 sewing machine I got at goodwill. It has taken a hell of a beating and still going strong.

They offer other fabrics that are heat bondable. But the best part about Seattle Fabrics is they are very friendly and willing to help. They even recommended the thread and stitch pattern for my tarp.

I use Tyvek as a ground tarp for my tents. Super strong and light but sounds like a giant potato chip bag when it blows in the wind. I made a camp tarp out of it but it kept the ENTIRE camp awake that night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94