tankless hot water heaters?

sisu

Adventurer
Can these be installed in Slide In Campers?

I saw an add for these units and wondered if they can be installed in an older slide in?

bat

Explorer
It does need to be vented if used in a camper. I am working on a system that will use a 10 gallon tank and on demand pump and propane camping tankless water heater. I have used them and they get hot very fast and you can control temp and water pressure.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
If you arent sold on a tankless setup and have an OBA, you can make a very nice shower using a 5gallon aluminum can with the right connectors.

You can heat the aluminum can directly on the fire or add a hot water element to it, two connectors on the top, one for pressurized air (IN) and one for warm water (OUT).

-Sam

sisu

Adventurer
We have been thinking along the lines of a shower tent and just using our old climbing stoves to heat water, use a foot pump to lift the water to the shower head and viola we can rinse off. Primitive yes, simple yes and easy to repair. Maybe this is the way to go.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
It does need to be vented if used in a camper. I am working on a system that will use a 10 gallon tank and on demand pump and propane camping tankless water heater. I have used them and they get hot very fast and you can control temp and water pressure.
I've had some experience w/ them and 'hot very fast' is an understatement. We used to daisy chain 2 of them with a water source coming off the city water....around 52o I think. We had a working hot water pressure washer w/ a pump in no time. very efficient.:Wow1:

TomH

Adventurer

Overland Hadley

on a journey
We have been thinking along the lines of a shower tent and just using our old climbing stoves to heat water, use a foot pump to lift the water to the shower head and viola we can rinse off. Primitive yes, simple yes and easy to repair. Maybe this is the way to go.

The Zodi Hot Tap is a good option. Link

TomH

Adventurer

The foot pump could be a lot of work.

Solar shower bags range anywhere from 1 to 5 gal. If you don't have the right conditions to use the sun, you might heat the water with the stove as you mention, pour it into the solar shower bag, suspend it, then just adjust the nozzle as needed. Some shower tents can be open at the top, so you set it up under a tree limb, or take some sort of suspension arm to suspend the bag. If you have a roof rack, you might be able to wedge an arm that extends a few feet from the vehicle and suspend the bag from that.

A fair number of Sportsmobile owners use an inverted shower curtain that snaps to a plastic pan. The pan is set on the floor of the living area and the ground ties, now at the top of the tent, are used to suspend the tent from the ceiling. A solar shower bag can be suspended from the roof, or the hose nozzle can be pulled from the sink. Water collects in the pan. One person uses a teak shower pad to stand on in the pan while a small pump pumps the drain water to the sink. Another owner has a flanged drain in the bottom of the pan, which plugs into a hole in the floor (it has port plug for when not in use) from which there is plumbed a pipe to the grey water tank. When the shower is over, the tent folds up into the pan, which is put away, and if it is a floor hole model, the hole is capped.

Some Van owners have a system to open the rear doors 90 degrees and attach a brace from the end of one door to the end of the other, then suspend a homemade cover from above that has a top and 3 sides-two that go over the doors and a middle one that shields the person from view from behind the van. Water just falls to the ground. You could place another brace/bar between the center top of each door and suspend the shower bag from that.

You can find an assortment of solar shower bags online at REI or Amazon, and there are at least 4 different pics of the inverted tent/pan combo on the Sportsmobile Forum. Unfortunately, I have not seen any pics of the system that uses the rear doors.

jh504

Explorer

I would like to see how you are doing this. I would like to do something similar.

bat

Explorer
This is how I am going to have a nice hot shower.The water tank is going to be mounted in my truck under my sleeping platform. The tankless part will be mounted to a frame with the propane setup also. Coleman makes a propane setup that allows you to have 2 1lb propane cannister together to give you better volume. I will run my shower head into the shower stall and when you press the trigger the pump will turn on which in turn will ingnite tha tankless heater in which my wife will have many :):):):):):):):):):):):) on her face.
View attachment 48244

View attachment 48245

View attachment 48246

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
This is how I am going to have a nice hot shower.The water tank is going to be mounted in my truck under my sleeping platform. The tankless part will be mounted to a frame with the propane setup also. Coleman makes a propane setup that allows you to have 2 1lb propane cannister together to give you better volume. I will run my shower head into the shower stall and when you press the trigger the pump will turn on which in turn will ingnite tha tankless heater in which my wife will have many :):):):):):):):):):):):) on her face.
View attachment 48244

View attachment 48245

View attachment 48246

Very nice, I like it. Those Titan tankless units are pretty pricey though. I guess my wife may go for it though if it means having a HOT shower for her.

bat

Explorer
I will also use the water tank for other uses except drinking water. I found my tankless on craigslist and got a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles