Tank Tops, Tights, and Pink Umbrella...

mph

Expedition Leader
No matter where the trip or what you are doing; there is one moment where it all makes sense. Mine on a recent trip to the Utah desert was in a slot canyon with my daughter Lilly. We were approaching an ole moonshine from the Prohibition era of the early 1920s. Lilly stopped on a rock and there it was...the moment!

Any fathers out there can relate...There are battles you pick and have with your children and ones you do not. Just don't have the energy or just not worth it...In my case, Lilly wanted to wear a dress and tights on our hike. Of course, I encouraged and suggested that those two items might not be the best hiking attire. However, mid-sentence I said to myself, "who cares?" It wasn't worth it...Not to mention the fact that I am not sure how tights and a dress got into her overnight bag. Probably her mother saying the same thing, " who cares? not worth the energy."

She was warm and suggested that she use her pink umbrella to cool her off. Where would she get a pink umbrella you might ask. At the bottom of my wife's pack along with an old banana from recent desert trip in February.

She does look peaceful!

asset.php.jpeg

Let me backtrack a few days...We rallied down to the desert country below Green River, Utah. The weather was great and the destination we had in mind was supposed to be a nice desert jaunt. It proved to be just that...

Open Road...
CSC_0296.jpg

The lighting was crazy awesome!

asset.php.jpeg

A great destination...

CSC_0284.jpg

The walk back was terrific in the evening light!

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Lilly driving me nuts or maybe the otherway around...Yep, that's Ginger riding shotgun in my backpack!!!

DSC_0055.jpg

The night around the campfire was awesome. The setting sun across desert country was crazy awesome...One of my new, favorite campsites! The shadows were long but so too were the views!

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Off to another spot...To be continued...
CSC_0287.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Ha ha, my daughter's 4 and favorite color is also pink, so may have to borrow that attire and umbrella in a couple of years!

fortel

Adventurer
What does matter is that you and her are spending time together, outside and away from the distractions of everyday life. So pink umbrellas or not, you're doing it right. Here's to us all having many more trips with our kids and being open to the wisdom they can share with us.

mph

Expedition Leader
What does matter is that you and her are spending time together, outside and away from the distractions of everyday life. So pink umbrellas or not, you're doing it right. Here's to us all having many more trips with our kids and being open to the wisdom they can share with us.

Thanks for the kind words!

I feel inspired Sir thank you you have brightened a crappy day

Glad your day got brighter...Cheers!

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah my daughter would wear her pink fluffy skirt everywhere if I let her.... As girly as can be but loves camping! Enjoy it while they are young I guess.

mph

Expedition Leader
Off we went...Following the Sun and Warmth. The day was spent hiking and exploring slots and ranches of the past. The ranch had a unique water supply--a geyser! Lilly loved it...We have been there numerous times; and had never seen it erupt. Today was our special day!

asset.php.jpeg

CSC_0282.jpg

Lilly playing with the geyser...It's a cold water geyser with an eruption lasting up to 20 minutes. A natural water park in the desert!

CSC_0280.jpg

CSC_0281.jpg

The grasslands around the ranch reminded me of pictures of Africa I have seen...

CSC_0293.jpg

The night's camping spot was fabulous! The views grand!

CSC_0291.jpg

The largest barrel cactus I have ever seen in the Utah desert! A few more weeks and it will be blooming!

CSC_0292.jpg

Back to the slot and the pink umbrella. If you are ever in the wild deserts of Utah, look around...You might just happen to spot her. Yeah, she might be wearing a dress, a tank top, or carrying her stuff animals around...But, she is enjoying her natural surroundings in her own unique way!

asset.php.jpeg

May your travels be fun-filled and unique...Until next time!

Foy

Explorer
Another home run

That daughter of yours is as precious as they come, and she is going to have some fond, fond memories of growing up with you and your wife. You always show her a good time while letting her be a kid. When our sons, now 31 and 27, were that age, one of our mantras was "pick your battles", realizing the boys just had to win some, but it was up to us to make sure we won the most important ones.

Looking forward to your next trip report.

Foy

mph

Expedition Leader
That daughter of yours is as precious as they come, and she is going to have some fond, fond memories of growing up with you and your wife. You always show her a good time while letting her be a kid. When our sons, now 31 and 27, were that age, one of our mantras was "pick your battles", realizing the boys just had to win some, but it was up to us to make sure we won the most important ones.

Looking forward to your next trip report.

Foy

Thanks...I appreciate the nice words and glad you enjoy the reports!

XTorrey

Observer
Love this trip report! We're already camping with our 4 month old daughter, and I can see this happening one day!

Sent from the wastelands of Tatooine

SmoothLC

Explorer
mph,

You seem to always post great TRs with photos and commentary. Plus, just enough pics and words to try to figure out where you've been that we haven't yet!

Love the ones of you and your family.

Please keep it up. It's always a welcome addition to ExPo.

mph

Expedition Leader
mph,

You seem to always post great TRs with photos and commentary. Plus, just enough pics and words to try to figure out where you've been that we haven't yet!

Love the ones of you and your family.

Please keep it up. It's always a welcome addition to ExPo.

THANKS...I AM GLAD YOU ENJOY THEM...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94