Tandem or Single axle for Mud/Sand?

wb9wb

Assuming everything is equal (weight, etc)

Do you believe a tandem axle would do better in mud/sand because of more surface spread out over the mud or would it just be harder to dig out?

thanks

ttengineer

Adventurer
Technically speaking more tires on the ground would provide better “flotation” in soft conditions due to a larger foot print spread out over a larger surface area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wb9wb

Technically speaking more tires on the ground would provide better “flotation” in soft conditions due to a larger foot print spread out over a larger surface area.

thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking. I would love it someone who has had real world experience with this respond to the thread.
Sometimes reality gets in the way of theory.. ;)

ottsville

Observer
There is no theory vs reality. Only science. More tires means less weight per square inch which means more traction and flotation.

I agree with what you are saying but let's be clear that traction isn't really important in a trailer except for a few very limited scenarios. We're not talking drive axles here.

And now you've got my mind questioning since you mentioned science; does less weight per square inch really mean better traction? Or does the increased contact patch when one airs down cause the better traction(I get that in real world situations contact patch size and psi go hand in hand)? Wouldn't an ideal situation be more contact patch AND more weight per square inch?

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Maybe apples to oranges but I used to be on a hot ail balloon crew. We had one single axle trailer, the rest were tandem. The tandems did much better off road than the single axle trailers. Some sand and mud but mostly hard packed two track forest roads.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I agree with what you are saying but let's be clear that traction isn't really important in a trailer except for a few very limited scenarios. We're not talking drive axles here.

And now you've got my mind questioning since you mentioned science; does less weight per square inch really mean better traction? Or does the increased contact patch when one airs down cause the better traction(I get that in real world situations contact patch size and psi go hand in hand)? Wouldn't an ideal situation be more contact patch AND more weight per square inch?

Traction aka friction is a result of more surface area. Now I’m not going to get into rubber compounds and tread design but in general, for the most part, more contact patch means higher friction which in turn means more traction. PSI force on the ground is a result of the contact patch. You can not lower the psi and maintain the same surface area when the weight is constant.

Think of how race cars or drag cars have SUPER wide tires. It’s because it creates more traction, distributes the force over a larger area and is more stable.

wb9wb

Maybe apples to oranges but I used to be on a hot ail balloon crew. We had one single axle trailer, the rest were tandem. The tandems did much better off road than the single axle trailers. Some sand and mud but mostly hard packed two track forest roads.

thanks. thats good news. I want the tandems only for off road (not extreme technical rock climbing, but Forrest and BLM roads). I didn't want to get stuck in the mud any more than necessary. I was looking at them as "snow shoes". not so much for traction but to evenly distrbute the weight (which won't be any more than a single axle, plus the actual weight of the extra axle,tires).

I was also looking at slapping a set of R75/16 inch jeep tires on the trailer so I don't have to carry so many spares around. 1 spare for the Jeep, and 1 for the trailer and make sure they are interchangeable. My jeep is not lifted and I will be using 265/R75/16 tires for it.

dreadlocks

I've got tandem torsion axles (dexter) and they are amazing off pavement, with all 4 having independent movement and shock absorbing capability its like it floats over rough terrain instead of rocking back and forth or bouncing around on washboard roads.. with tandem torsions however its very important your trailer rides level on flat ground so the weight is distributed evenly, if your tongue was low the front axle would be loaded more than the rear.

another really nice thing is they are quiet, trailer is virtually silent creeping along a dirt road where if you've ever towed a tandem leaf you know it sounds like hell is breaking loose when you've got washboard roads.

Last edited:

wb9wb

I've got tandem torsion axles (dexter) and they are amazing off pavement, with all 4 having independent movement and shock absorbing capability its like it floats over rough terrain instead of rocking back and forth or bouncing around on washboard roads.. with tandem torsions however its very important your trailer rides level on flat ground so the weight is distributed evenly, if your tongue was low the front axle would be loaded more than the rear.

another really nice thing is they are quiet, trailer is virtually silent creeping along a dirt road where if you've ever towed a tandem leaf down rough roads you know it sounds like hell is breaking loose when you've got washboard roads.
thanks! So do you still use the 10% rule for the tongue weight on yours?

dreadlocks

I'm closer to 15% because toy haulers are tongue heavy, but its better to be too heavy on tongue (if TV supports it) than too light (10% is a minimum not a max).. my trailer is somewhere around 5000#, tongue is around 700# and the axles are both 3500#.. I need to take it to some scales this season now that I'm nearly done outfitting it.

wb9wb

I'm closer to 15% because toy haulers are tongue heavy, but its better to be too heavy on tongue (if TV supports it) than too light (10% is a minimum not a max).. my trailer is somewhere around 5000#, tongue is around 700# and the axles are both 3500#.. I need to take it to some scales this season now that I'm nearly done outfitting it.

Ok great. I'm looking at a 6x12 and loaded no more than a GVWR of about 3000#. I believe the trailer will be about 1800# dry. My jeep's tow weight is 3500#. I want to keep the entire tow weight under that. Its going to be a camper. Heaviest items will be a 40# water tank and 4 deep cycle batteries. I plan on distributing the batteries on one side and the water tank on the other. The rest of the gear will be anything you would normally need to live in a camper for 15 days (food, clothes, etc.). I do not plan on decking the cargo trailer out because it will just add extra weight. I also plan on building most of the items lower rather than higher so its not top heavy. I believe the trailer will be about 1800# dry.

I really appreciate your feedback. thanks.

dreadlocks

mine is like 6x13.5, and entire thing is aluminum.. I think your going to find it very hard to build it under those weight ceilings.. I've got 1 lithium battery and 2x 7g water tanks and no toys in it yet for reference (just camping eq)

wb9wb

mine is like 6x13.5, and entire thing is aluminum.. I think your going to find it very hard to build it under those weight ceilings.. I've got 1 lithium battery and 2x 7g water tanks and no toys in it yet for reference (just camping eq)
you think a single axle would be better for my situation? (drops off ~600#)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94