Tandem Axle Bespoke Overlanding Trailer Build With VW Suspension (picture heavy)

WanderingVWBus

Are any of you running AGM or regular lead acid battery?? I know that a 200mah LiFePO4 can run $1000. They are super super nice but out of my current budget, What are some good options?

Teardropper

I am at this point today and am leaning to a lead acid RV battery, I am not going to buy a Lithium thing.

I was in that same spot in 2019 and chose a VMAXGroup 24 AGM for my teardrop. Great battery. 35 usable amps. and they don't self-discharge nearly as fast as a standard lead acid battery. But when I needed a trolling motor last summer, I chose a 50 amp Weize lithium. Times have changed.

The VMAX cost $220 (for 35 amps). The Weize cost, $220 (for 50 amps and the last time it was available on Amazon, it was $190). And it's sooo much lighter. (And yes, it has an all-encompassing BMS.)

When my teardrop battery is kaput in five years or so, there's no doubt I'll go with a LiPo.

Tony

WanderingVWBus

I was in that same spot in 2019 and chose a VMAXGroup 24 AGM for my teardrop. Great battery. 35 usable amps. and they don't self-discharge nearly as fast as a standard lead acid battery. But when I needed a trolling motor last summer, I chose a 50 amp Weize lithium. Times have changed.

The VMAX cost $220 (for 35 amps). The Weize cost, $220 (for 50 amps and the last time it was available on Amazon, it was $190). And it's sooo much lighter. (And yes, it has an all-encompassing BMS.)

When my teardrop battery is kaput in five years or so, there's no doubt I'll go with a LiPo.

Tony
I notice the weight saving is very surprising. What kind of charger did you use? I use the Lipo battery for my RC stuff and they are amazing vs the older tech.

WanderingVWBus

I am at this point today and am leaning to a lead acid RV battery, I am not going to buy a Lithium thing. The lead acid are half the cost and the AGM have no real advantage. Where I live lead acid is on the shelf every where. AGM and Lithium are special order.
Its such a tough choice. I was at Costco the other day and they had a group 24 HD deep cycle Interstate batter for $78. even if it sucked, how many can you buy before the same price as a fancier one. The weight concern is very real though. At 60% lighter that also can affect fuel econ and overall weight of trailer. Once again i am still having a tough time deciding

Teardropper

I notice the weight saving is very surprising. What kind of charger did you use? I use the Lipo battery for my RC stuff and they are amazing vs the older tech.

I use a NOCO Genius, It's got a setting for LiPos. It was the weight saving that led me to this battery. There's no way I wanted to lift a Group 27 AGM in and out of my drift boat. 15 pounds vs. 70 or so.

Tony

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Are any of you running AGM or regular lead acid battery?? I know that a 200mah LiFePO4 can run $1000. They are super super nice but out of my current budget, What are some good options?

Keep in mind how much "useable" charge you get out of a Lithium, vs a lead acid. With a 100ah lithium you can usually get around 95ah of use before the voltage drops too low. With a 100ah lead acid you're getting 50ah at most.

So, if your baseline is 200ah of lithium, that's about 190ah useable. To get that in lead acid, you're looking at about 400ah of batteries.

I have two of these 100ah lithium batteries; each one was $430 CAD shipped to my door, and I had them less than two weeks after ordering. Local stores sell 105ah AGMs for the exact same (after-tax) price. Lead acids are cheaper, but not by much. So around here the lithium is not only lighter, but physically smaller (for the same useable ah) and cheaper, too.

Last edited:

honda250xtitan

this build is amazing. I'm biased tho, i recently restored a 66 bug. i suddenly am a huge fan of VW's. Guess thats what happens when you do a pan off restoration though.

WanderingVWBus

The roof panels i bought from a trailer fabrication shop. They are repair ones for crashed trailers. I had to shorten them about a foot but i feel they will work well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles