Tallest tires for OE rims

kerry

Expedition Leader
Looks like I'll be needing a new set of tires for my 1999 FG in the near future. Currently running 235/85/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3. Still have OE rims and duals. Would prefer a taller tire if possible. Anybody have any recommendations for a taller tire which would work well?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the suggestions. Anybody run these?

Attachments

• F1298C35-E8CA-496C-8B22-075D1CB71EA4.png
    F1298C35-E8CA-496C-8B22-075D1CB71EA4.png
    426 KB · Views: 30

skippythedog

Observer
Yup.....rocks between duals........save your money and get some singles with 37"s.... makes things a bit easier all around...

sixbennetts

Adventurer
You could do like the oldtimers did and remove your inner rims/tires, and run just your outer tires. They won't line up with the fronts, (close), but no rocks to worry about between the duals.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
True, just a thought. I suppose 255/100R16 XZL or even 325/85R16 XZL (they do currently make them) singles would be better for bad roads.
Someone does make 8.25s in street tread.
I have a set of 325/85R16 XMLs in my shed. They are a very big tyre and I reckon there is no way you would run them as duals. They also need a 10" wide rim. They are a military tyre. Very expensive, if you can buy them.
The 255/100R16 XML is a brilliant tyre. Also expensive and difficult to get.
There is some parralex distortion in this pic, but from L to R, standard 16" wheel & tyre from about a '90 F250, 305/70R19.5 and 325/85R16 XML.
A 255/100R16 XML is similar in diameter t the 19 1/2" in the centre.
P1010374E.JPG
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

carterd

Regarding your question on the Cooper ST Maxx, I have been running these on my Land Cruiser for 6 years with great success. They are a good compromise between a mild AT and a mud terrain and have a high load range. They are highly- regarded amongst the off-road crowd.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Regarding your question on the Cooper ST Maxx, I have been running these on my Land Cruiser for 6 years with great success. They are a good compromise between a mild AT and a mud terrain and have a high load range. They are highly- regarded amongst the off-road crowd.
I now think that 255/85 16 is too wide to work on the duals. probably less than 1” between the tires.

1000arms

Looks like I'll be needing a new set of tires for my 1999 FG in the near future. Currently running 235/85/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3. Still have OE rims and duals. Would prefer a taller tire if possible. Anybody have any recommendations for a taller tire which would work well?
Same size as what you have, but I suggest looking at the BFG Commerical TA Traction:

The following quote is from the above link:

"- Ideal for less-than-ideal roads.
- Tread designed for snow, mud and practically any conditions (suitable for drive axle or both axles on trucks that spend time off-road).
- Made for extreme snow and ice.
- Molded to accept studs when conditions demand
.A truck and fleet tire with aggressive tread to go wherever your route requires."

sackettmw

I now think that 255/85 16 is too wide to work on the duals. probably less than 1” between the tires.
I have a 1990 FG and have test mounted 255/85r16 ******** Cepek Extreme Country. They were pretty close in the rear but not touching. Definitely less than and inch. Probably had less than 50 lbs of air in them but my truck is a box truck and it was empty at the time. I am going to remount within a week or so and I'll get some pictures. I'll probably cut a 1/4" spacer to go between them to add a bit of clearance. I need a temporary solution and I already have 5 of these tires so I'll see how it works. I'd bet a BFG Km3 would work better as the BFG muds are notoriously undersized.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I have a 1990 FG and have test mounted 255/85r16 ******** Cepek Extreme Country. They were pretty close in the rear but not touching. Definitely less than and inch. Probably had less than 50 lbs of air in them but my truck is a box truck and it was empty at the time. I am going to remount within a week or so and I'll get some pictures. I'll probably cut a 1/4" spacer to go between them to add a bit of clearance. I need a temporary solution and I already have 5 of these tires so I'll see how it works. I'd bet a BFG Km3 would work better as the BFG muds are notoriously undersized.
Thanks. Pictures would be helpful. I was just going off the specified dimensions. I’ve been running my existing duals at 40psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles