Talladega National Forest- 01/29/11

stolenheron

Explorer
I drove 247 miles round trip on 01/29 from Auburn, AL to (and through) Talladega National Forest. Drove from Auburn to Goodwater, AL then from there to the Forest.

We got stuck on the road thanks to a stopped train for about 25 minutes, so we goofed off around the tracks for a bit. Saw a nice piece of "***" on the way there (joke), a racist statue (welcome to the south haha), and what was either a tornado or a bomb shelter which we laughed about.

From there we went to Mount Cheaha via pavement.

Mount Cheaha is the highest point in the state of Alabama. Great views, the temperature was great (I could actually wear a t-shirt) however it was quite windy (no surprise there).

The first set of dirty road, rutty, muddy pictures is from forest road 513. I threw it into low gear to be safe when we were alone, ruts werent too deep, but the mud was sticky. You don't need much to get through it, but 4x4 with some tread would be smart unless you had someone else with you.

We drove south from there on pavement (got a little lost), finally found the Skyway Motorway at its southern most point. we drove back NORTH, turned around at its end, then drove south. from there we went home.

the Motorway was relaxing but very bumper thanks to rocks and erosion. Saw some off-road bikes (about half a dozen total), a stock 4x4 jeep, a 4x4 tacoma, and a few 4x4 pickups. Its not difficult at all, but a car wouldn't make it just because of clearance issues. A 2wd truck should be fine on a good day like yesterday, I'd just stay out of there if there is alot of rain with 2wd.

DSC_0007-7.jpg

DSC_0017-5.jpg

DSC_0021-6.jpg

DSC_0023-4.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0041-4.jpg

DSC_0042-3.jpg

DSC_0047-4.jpg

DSC_0048-2.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

stolenheron

Explorer
Great pics of some beautiful scenery! I'm jealous.

What was that frontier? A zombie-proof vehicle??

why are you jealous? The 'hooch NF is barely north of you and is gorgeous!!!!!!!!

um it was an Undead Edition Nissan Frontier lol, speaking of zombies. this guy is probably watching Dawn of the Dead on SyFy channel right now.

Rot Box

Explorer
Great pics thanks for sharing :bike_rider: I really like your LR, how has it treated you up to this point?

What a great day! I've driven from LR to Atlanta more times that I can remember, each time passing that sign directing me to TNF, but just never ventured in. I guess I never knew how great it was there! (Actually looks a lot like home here in Arkansas.)

Any chance you can share a simple map of the routes you were on? I'd love to re-trace sometime!

Thanks, and thanks again for sharing!

Wes

stolenheron

Explorer
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....588883,-85.680828&spn=0.053124,0.132093&z=14

this was the "route" we planned. the Garmin Colorado 400c that I had with me died shortly before we hit mt. cheaha. i was an idiot for not keeping spare batteries with me. we drove for well over an hour-two hours on the motorway. but looking at google maps, i dont remember passing I20, so that might be where we turned around and headed home.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/al-dixieland-cruisers/430899-forest-service-roads.html

there is a thread on IH8Mud.

Honestly, the more I look at the maps, the more unsure I am. however, the Garmin SteetPilot had me on "281" so that must be it. if i were you, I'd look on google for more info. i do know it starts very close to Mt. cheaha. we headed N from there on it, then turned around and headed South.

Cool, thanks.

That conversation over on 'Mud looks pretty interested -- old historic road traces, and all. My kind of exploration.

Thanks again for sharing!

wc

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Blimey!!! When I read "Taledega NF" I thought it was going to be the in-field grass at a NASCAR race... Looks like a fun trip eh. Great pics.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online