Talk me out of the TRD Pro

BlackdogGS

Observer
I found some blue TRD Pro’s on Auto Trader but there $54,000. I’d pay list but not a jacked up price. I can get the off road for $35,000ish around here.

dddonkey

Adventurer
Are you dead set on the Toyota? If not I would look at the Chevy/GMC Colorado ZR2, it has the higher ground clearance, lockers, and is about the same price as the PRO. Also you have the option of gas or diesel. Just thinking out loud here, good luck with your search.

Ramjet

Explorer
I just bought a used Pro with really low miles and enjoy it a lot. Buy what “You” want, who the hell cares what everyone else thinks. Their opinion isn’t any of your business. When you realize that, you’ll be a lot happier. Cheers.

Watt maker

I found some blue TRD Pro’s on Auto Trader but there $54,000. I’d pay list but not a jacked up price. I can get the off road for $35,000ish around here.

The dealership I bought my Tundra from also had a cement TRD Pro Tacoma and 4runner. If I was a millionaire, I would’ve bought all three. Anyway, they did work with me on the price of my TRD Pro Tundra. Both my Tundra and that Tacoma were pretty much the same price. For ********** and giggles, I asked if they would discount the price the same on the Tacoma and they said “absolutely not, we don’t have to discount the Tacomas, especially the pros, they just sell”. It’s crazy that you can buy a full-size truck for the same price as a Tacoma, or even cheaper in my case. I definitely like the Tacoma, if I didn’t need a full-size truck, I would’ve gone with the Tacoma.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I’m making a little process. Surpriseingly my wife loves the cement color. I’m finding it hard to get the options I want mostly the leather seats. I guess there not available on the off road. If the TRD Pro came with a long bed I’d jump on it. I haul my dual sport bike occasionally Husqvarna 701. It’s total length is 87” and I’m not sure if it’d fit in a 5’ bed with the bed extender.

The dealer is willing to order a Pro if I give him a $500 deposit. He said they can’t discount a Pro but he could sell it a list MSRP.

Ramjet

Explorer
If you really want a Pro, find a used one. I saved a bunch getting a used 2017 Pro with 10k miles on it. If I ordered one it wouldn’t be until next year before it got here and it would be about 50k out the door.

rkj__

Adventurer
Are you dead set on the Toyota? If not I would look at the Chevy/GMC Colorado ZR2, it has the higher ground clearance, lockers, and is about the same price as the PRO. Also you have the option of gas or diesel. Just thinking out loud here, good luck with your search.

At least take the ZR2 for a test drive before passing it over.

As someone who just purchased a 2018 Tacoma TRD off road double cab in February I vote for Off Road. The pro gives you the fox shocks and 1 inch lift. The Collision sensor in the grill supports lifted trucks so that is also a factor to consider. Other than that everything else can be optioned in the Off Road. As for the slow transmission shift with automatics the model I have has a "ECT PWR" button that they sell as a mountain driving mode. What it does is hold the gear longer and makes for much more smooth shifts IMHO. I use ECT everyday now after driving both ways for the past few months. Only issue is it must be pushed everytime you start the truck. Taco resale is the same Off Road or Pro it's just harder to find the Pro models new or used.

Yes, just found out that you can get a 4 door TRD OR with leather. That package comes with a sunroof too.
I have the Cement double cab long bed Off Road with leather. You have to search but once I started the dealers quickly started offering deals once the end of the month rolled around. I bought mine on the last day of the month it is was a dollar or two less the $45K sticker and I paid $39K. deals can be found. Pro models are not the same case dealers will sell them at MSRP all day long.

BlackdogGS

Observer
This is what I want:

TRD off road, 5’ bed, double cab
Premium package
Technology package
Cement

I have 1 dealer working with me on this, the other 3 flaked out. I found that there are absolutely no trucks available with the options and paint that I want. I’m thinking of special ordering, the sales guy is getting more info on this process now. It’s the paint color that’s making this difficult. After my wife seen cement nothing else will do.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
For $54,000, you could get an old Dodge WM300 Power Wagon and bury under about 100 yards of cement.

Seriously, will Toyota EVER sell a diesel-powered truck (or SUV) in this country, or do we have to bootleg them like the one at Expo today? (2017 LHD 4x4 75 Series crew cab with 4.5 liter V-8 diesel.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles