Talk me out of the TRD Pro

Clutch

<---Pass
In 2002 I bought a single cab 1994 Toyota pickup with 120k miles for $3k even. It was in perfect shape with a matching topper, and I sold it about a year and a half later with 130k on it for around $4200 and I felt like I did well. I’m sure that truck would sell for the same amount now with however many miles are on it 15 years later if the owner took good care of it.
I paid $5,500 in 2000, ~100k on the clock from the original owner who's two boys were growing too old to ride in it comfortably. I sold it at the end of 2015 with 287k for $3,500 to a friend but it was getting rough. I used the heck out of that truck.

My '92 I paid $6500 with 60K on the ODO in '95-96? (Can't remember) had it for 5-6 years drove it up to 150K. Sold it for $3500....which I thought was fair, was gone in 2 days. Clearly didn't ask enough. When I lived on the East Coast when I had my '85 4Runner you couldn't give a Toyota away, I was actually made fun of for owning one. I tried all summer selling it before I moved to AZ, ended moving out there with it because I couldn't sell it. Paid $6900 with 70K in 1989, drove it up to 225K sold it for $2500 5-6 years later. With I thought was fair since it was rusty and no AC.

Now look them, both of those trucks are almost collector status. Just weird.

Blasphemy! But seriously, saying that a Harley is 100 year old technology is like saying that the pushrod's (both gasoline in diesel) still used in numerous truck platforms are outdated.

Ha ha! Those are too! :D

Hell, Toyota is still using leaf springs and drum brakes on the Taco! Yet another reason why I don't get why people will pay $54K for one....it is begging to be linked or IRS. Toyota could easily parts bin those off another platform.

Watt maker

Hell, Toyota is still using leaf springs and drum brakes on the Taco! Yet another reason why I don't get why people will pay $54K for one....it is begging to be linked or IRS. Toyota could easily parts bin those off another platform.

What's wrong with leaf springs on a truck?

bkg

Explorer
Nothing. It's confusing to me why the resident luddite in chief would even want coil springs and rear disk brakes. Make me wonder if he's been test driving a Ridgeline. Probably a fantastic ride and no more spilling his latte on the way to the mall.

Is this going to be another fanboy thread now?

Clutch

<---Pass
What's wrong with leaf springs on a truck?
Nothing.

However the Tacoma is a lifestyle truck and the prices it is commanding now-a-days the ass end should be updated. Don’t see why it can’t get the rear suspension out of a 4Runner.

@DaveInDenver ha ha funny! I have test driven the Ridgeline, rides quite nice but not off-roady enough for me. I was thinking more on the lines of the Ram trucks, which also ride quite nice but still a truck. I just don’t know if I can bring myself to buy a Ram.

Up in the mountains the past couple days...even had to use 4LO to get to camp. Almost hit the locker button for ya Dave, but resisted. Though I did use the dirt bike to get to this look out tower. Crazy to have cell service up here!

932165D7-A6EB-46C0-9BE1-31497FDECA62.jpeg

The last couple miles getting there wasn’t easy...

8FC7DF48-ECE2-4450-A58C-7EE4A5AC2A06.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
However the Tacoma is a lifestyle truck
Toyota has always sold the truck and 4Runner as "lifestyle" vehicles. The Honda is a fine vehicle but IRS, lower bodywork and unibody just position it in a different category. I think it would be a mistake for Toyota, Nissan, GM and now Ford to really see it as direct competition. Toyota sticking with the body-on-frame truck lineage for the 4Runner has left it the last one standing for the person who needs such a vehicle because everyone else has gone the Pilot route. Now that I think about it maybe the Tacoma *should* be morphed like the Explorer did and Toyota then sells the Hilux for people who want or need trucks.

Dalko43

Explorer
The demand for true BOF, SUV's and trucks doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. F-150's sell like hotcakes. The Jeep Wrangler and Toyota 4runner have had strong sales as the last true BOF, mid-sized SUV's. Tacoma's sales have stayed strong and the Colorado/Canyon sales have been catching up to it.

Whether or not we want to consider some of these "lifestyle" vehicles, people want these kinds of robust, old-school vehicles. Any decision to 'transition' these vehicles into car-based platforms that identify as SUV's will kill their credibility in this segment (e.g. Range Rover, Nissan).

Clutch

<---Pass
Toyota has always sold the truck and 4Runner as "lifestyle" vehicles. The Honda is a fine vehicle but IRS, lower bodywork and unibody just position it in a different category. I think it would be a mistake for Toyota, Nissan, GM and now Ford to really see it as direct competition. Toyota sticking with the body-on-frame truck lineage for the 4Runner has left it the last one standing for the person who needs such a vehicle because everyone else has gone the Pilot route. Now that I think about it maybe the Tacoma *should* be morphed like the Explorer did and Toyota then sells the Hilux for people who want or need trucks.

Pretty much what I was thinking....since we can't get the HiLux (Gaaad knows why???) ...and all the un-needed **************** that is now on the Tacoma, why not go all the way? Kinda silly to throw all that **************** tech and leather on a platform and still have leaf springs and drum brakes out back. Payloads are already dismal, why not make it ride nice too? Hell...the 4Runner's payload is better than a Tacoma, so there you go.

My perfect "truck" would be a 40 series ute body (think super basic interior, and arguably the coolest sheet metal Toyota ever bent) on a 80's chassis, with a pre-emissions diesel...and a 5 speed manny of course.

60afffcc651cf03dc6abc6ffddb654a7.jpg

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Pretty much what I was thinking....since we can't get the HiLux (Gaaad knows why???) ...and all the un-needed **************** that is now on the Tacoma, why not go all the way? Kinda silly to throw all that **************** tech and leather on a platform and still have leaf springs and drum brakes out back. Payloads are already dismal, why not make it ride nice too? Hell...the 4Runner's payload is better than a Tacoma, so there you go.

My perfect "truck" would be a 40 series ute body (think super basic interior, and arguably the coolest sheet metal Toyota ever bent) on a 80's chassis, with a pre-emissions diesel...and a 5 speed manny of course.

60afffcc651cf03dc6abc6ffddb654a7.jpg
Technically with the right check book you could have that truck! Then you could rub it in our faces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94