Talk me out of the TRD Pro

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seriously, will Toyota EVER sell a diesel-powered truck (or SUV) in this country
No.
or do we have to bootleg them like the one at Expo today? (2017 LHD 4x4 75 Series crew cab with 4.5 liter V-8 diesel.)
Yes.

And if it's really a 2017 70 series it's not legally imported in the U.S. Did it have U.S. license plates? Could be one of those deals where it's legally registered in Costa Rica or something.

Clutch

<---Pass
$54k for a Tacoma?

Toyota marketing is genious
Yikes!

Who in the Hell would pay $54'000 for a Tacoma!? Heck, I think paying $35'000 for a little truck that can't haul much, underpowered, and gets horrible gas mileage is pushing it...I am clearly out of step with the rest of the World.

Keep on wondering when the pickup truck bubble is going to burst.

tacollie

Glamper
Yikes!

Who in the Hell would pay $54'000 for a Tacoma!? Heck, I think paying $35'000 for a little truck that can't haul much, underpowered, and gets horrible gas mileage is pushing it...I am clearly out of step with the rest of the World.

Keep on wondering when the pickup truck bubble is going to burst.

The original bill of sale was in my 2000 4runner from the PO. $35k is what she paid. It did have a leather steering wheel and shift know! Trucks are the new SUV. All my buddies that have trucks fall in two categories. They either have office jobs making big money or they need them for work. I'm the only one that used one for recreation.

The cement color rocks. I personally wouldn't buy a pro but I'm glad people do. I'm sure the OP will love it!

DaveInDenver

If you run the numbers the average price for a truck hasn't gone up that much faster than inflation. There's more on the top end but the MSRP on an SR5 now here in my ZIP is $26,975. That would have been about $14,500 in 1991 and guess what the base price on a 1991 V6 automatic SR5 was? $14,108. Hmmm, interesting.

Clutch

<---Pass
tacollie said:
The original bill of sale was in my 2000 4runner from the PO. $35k is what she paid. It did have a leather steering wheel and shift know! Trucks are the new SUV. All my buddies that have trucks fall in two categories. They either have office jobs making big money or they need them for work. I'm the only one that used one for recreation.

If you run the numbers the average price for a truck hasn't gone up that much faster than inflation. There's more on the top end but the MSRP on an SR5 now here in my ZIP is $26,975. That would have been about $14,500 in 1991 and guess what the base price on a 1991 V6 automatic SR5 was? $14,108. Hmmm, interesting.

Yeah, I ************** about trucks costing too much back then too. ;)

Now that I can afford them...I don't want to pay for it. Funny how that works.

Always wondered why my grandfather was such a cheap SOB, he certainly had the means...but refused to spend any money. I have become him.

DaveInDenver

Yeah, I **********
This should be your signature.

I tell you the deal of my lifetime was paying $5,500 for my 1991 in 2000 with 100k on the clock. Talk about getting a lot for my money. That's what's going up, the resale price for Toyota trucks.

Clutch

<---Pass

'bout the only thing I am good at. ;) :D

I tell you the deal of my lifetime was paying $5,500 for my 1991 in 2000 with 100k on the clock. Talk about getting a lot for my money. That's what's going up, the resale price for Toyota trucks.

Yeah, I had some great deals on my past Toyotas...all had under 70K, when purchased each was sub $7000. Except for the '99 splurged and spent $17K on that. Which was out of the norm for me. Now they want $20K for a truck that has 200K on the odo, and say it has low mileage simply because it is a Toyota. The cost of inflation isn't the **********...I just don't see spending $54K on a Tacoma...fifty four thousand dollars on a Tacoma, really!?...is really going to be all that different than a $27K SR5? I guess I don't get all the options...does it give you a reach around when you're cruising down the highway or something? It doesn't surprise me though, the sports sedan crowd has ruined trucks with their coddling needs. I am still in the camp that you should be able to hose out trucks. Probably should buy my neighbors FJ40, toss some marine gauges in it and spray bed liner in the interior.

I don't get Harleys either....premium price for 100 year old technology that can't really do much other than cruise down the highway being loud. Gotta pay a lot to look cool I guess.

DaveInDenver

@Clutch - If your neighbor is selling an FJ40 I'd buy it if I was you, no question. Even trashed ones are getting $5k and well restored ones cost as much as a new 200 series.

Re: SR5 vs higher spec. Obvious the TRD Offroad gets the locker which has a clear use and FOX suspension on a new truck is cool and and works better than stock suspension. Options are always profit for the manufacturer and dealer, so no, of course the TRD specs aren't worth the higher price. But rolling that stuff into financing and warranty has advantages. It's cheaper to the buyer than putting the whole outfit on a credit card.

Ultimately you're railing against the American Way. Plastic millionaires, go into debt over depreciating assets rather than saving and paying cash. You can't blame Toyota for doing business in the reality here. Their meat-and-potato truck is still pretty basic compared to the competition. You read TacomaWorld, "When is the Tacoma getting this or that like the Colorado?" But even being a relatively basic truck it still sells very well so I don't think we're alone in "getting" what Toyota is selling, even if it's less utility than the old trucks were it's still pretty truck-like (at least as much as Americans will tolerate and the EPA/DOT/NHTSA/IIHS will allow) relatively speaking.

MTSN

Explorer

In 2002 I bought a single cab 1994 Toyota pickup with 120k miles for $3k even. It was in perfect shape with a matching topper, and I sold it about a year and a half later with 130k on it for around $4200 and I felt like I did well. I’m sure that truck would sell for the same amount now with however many miles are on it 15 years later if the owner took good care of it.

Clutch

<---Pass
@Clutch - If your neighbor is selling an FJ40 I'd buy it if I was you, no question. Even trashed ones are getting $5k and well restored ones cost as much as a new 200 series.

Re: SR5 vs higher spec. Obvious the TRD Offroad gets the locker which has a clear use and FOX suspension on a new truck is cool and and works better than stock suspension. Options are always profit for the manufacturer and dealer, so no, of course the TRD specs aren't worth the higher price. But rolling that stuff into financing and warranty has advantages. It's cheaper to the buyer than putting the whole outfit on a credit card.

Ultimately you're railing against the American Way. Plastic millionaires, go into debt over depreciating assets rather than saving and paying cash. You can't blame Toyota for doing business in the reality here. Their meat-and-potato truck is still pretty basic compared to the competition. You read TacomaWorld, "When is the Tacoma getting this or that like the Colorado?" But even being a relatively basic truck it still sells very well so I don't think we're alone in "getting" what Toyota is selling, even if it's less utility than the old trucks were it's still pretty truck-like (at least as much as Americans will tolerate and the EPA/DOT/NHTSA/IIHS will allow) relatively speaking.

It is a 196-something. Even has a nice patina going on too (which is a fancy word for rust bucket), could do a blue version of the red Proffitts.

toyota-fj40-lead.jpg

I already asked if he wanted to sell it, no dice...said he is going to fix it up "one day". Has been sitting there since we have bee here, which is about 4 years, I am sure it has been there for even longer.

Always found the OEM "name brand decal spec" rather lack luster. Buy a base and toss some KINGS on it and call it good. About the only reason to get the OR is the locker. Which, don't know if that is even worth it. I rarely use mine.

Do wonder if all these crazy truck prices would exist if people couldn't buy them on credit. Read somewhere that 86% of all vehicle purchases were financed....kinda scary.

DaveInDenver

In 2002 I bought a single cab 1994 Toyota pickup with 120k miles for $3k even. It was in perfect shape with a matching topper, and I sold it about a year and a half later with 130k on it for around $4200 and I felt like I did well. I’m sure that truck would sell for the same amount now with however many miles are on it 15 years later if the owner took good care of it.
I paid $5,500 in 2000, ~100k on the clock from the original owner who's two boys were growing too old to ride in it comfortably. I sold it at the end of 2015 with 287k for $3,500 to a friend but it was getting rough. I used the heck out of that truck.
Clutch said:
About the only reason to get the OR is the locker. Which, don't know if that is even worth it. I rarely use mine.
I use mine, so it's been worth it. But new, nah, I'd do Air Lockers. If you don't need lockers then there's zero reason to get anything more than an SR5, which has always been true.

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't get Harleys either....premium price for 100 year old technology that can't really do much other than cruise down the highway being loud. Gotta pay a lot to look cool I guess.

Blasphemy! But seriously, saying that a Harley is 100 year old technology is like saying that the pushrod's (both gasoline in diesel) still used in numerous truck platforms are outdated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles