Talk Me Out of an OBS as a budget overlanding rig!

Ole Chipper

Crude?? It's an off road camping rig. WHY do you want some new fancy computer controlled truck to take off road and into the back country?? My guess is you couldn't find a nice OBS diesel and settled for a new POS.

Here's mine only paid $2800. 1994 F350 7.3l auto 4x4 with only 112000 miles. Went through the front end ball joints etc. New brakes, electric fuel pump and tires so I'm nearing $4500 now. These nice clean truck are around just be patient and keep looking. You couldn't give me a 1994 or newer diesel truck let alone pay 15K plus for one. Very simple to work on and cheap parts. Yep I love crude.

Attachments

• DSC01986.JPG
    DSC01986.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 56

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Looks like crude, ugly and rusty all go together in the same package! ;)

Just kidding!

Looks like you have a nice inexpensive OBS to build to your needs!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Crude?? It's an off road camping rig. WHY do you want some new fancy computer controlled truck to take off road and into the back country?? My guess is you couldn't find a nice OBS diesel and settled for a new POS.

Here's mine only paid $2800. 1994 F350 7.3l auto 4x4 with only 112000 miles. Went through the front end ball joints etc. New brakes, electric fuel pump and tires so I'm nearing $4500 now. These nice clean truck are around just be patient and keep looking. You couldn't give me a 1994 or newer diesel truck let alone pay 15K plus for one. Very simple to work on and cheap parts. Yep I love crude.

You won't lose that truck when out hiking. :eek:

eblau

Adventurer
Looks like crude, ugly and rusty all go together in the same package! ;)

Just kidding!

Looks like you have a nice inexpensive OBS to build to your needs!

I second your "crude" comment, they are indeed crude but only relative to anything newer.

I still do no hesitate to get in my IDI truck and hammer down 1000+ miles. The IDI just runs.

Chorky

Observer
I don't think the OP is getting what he wanted haha... seems to me there is more reason in favor of an OBS than not! Naturallly, I would also be in favor of an OBS. Great trucks, but I'm biased of course. I find the above comments about these trucks being 'crude' is not quite accurate. to me anyway. I suppose it depends on what one considers 'crude'. I consider this to relate to something that is cumbersome, and that doesn't work well without significant input effort from the 'operator'. Maybe something more along the lines of 'crude' would be an old steam engines with 2 dozen handles just to adjust pressures to begin moving forward, or steam donkeys. And in some cases, depending, 'crude' (or, old'er') can be of great benefit over high tech. My truck happens to ride and work nicer and easier than my dad's brand new 3500....

Something to consider though is what you plan to use it for. You mentioned the buss not going places you want. You do realize the flex on the OBS Fords on very rough trails would destroy a standard mounted camper right? Something to consider. Where I'm going is it, to do things right imo, will require careful calculations and modifications for longevity. Also, considering parts availability. As many have said I will agree that many common 7.3l parts will be available, but since it is a 20 year old truck, many of the other parts, which may or may not be essential, might be unobtanium. One example is the low pressure vacuum switch, which is no longer manufacturered by anyone. It can be bypassed of course, but an example of what is to come in another 20 years.

Personally, for heavy trucks, I prefer diesel. Fully loaded over 20K foot to the floor going up and down steep passes, I average 15mpg. But I have been hearing good things about the newer 6.2 gasser, all around. Engine, frame, axles, etc... They can be had for your price range. Something to consider. But with an older vehicle, I think there are more opportunities to customize as you see fit.

Olbuford

So I own an 89 F250 with a 5.8, a 99 F250 Sd with 6.8, and used to own a 2010 F250 with the 6.4 turd diesel so I thought I’d share my thoughts too.

The 2010 had the best performance across the board but there was a huge downside to me...when I popped the hood I needed an engineering degree, a third elbow, and fingers that worked backwards to work on anything lol. No room unless you remove half of the parts to get to stuff. Plus, the regen sucked. But it rode like a Cadillac compared to my others and fit 35” tall tires on stock rims. Only averaged 14mpg unloaded with a camper shell. The reason I got rid of it was because the stupid engine decided to suck the oil of the oil pan via a bad turbo seal at only 67k miles and ended up grenading on me. Newer tech is awesome until it needs to be fixed and then it’s $$$ and difficult. Final thought. Rode awesome but to me it was too complicated and expensive to work on and modify with too many things that could and did go wrong.

The 99 with the 6.8 is thirsty for her fossil fuels. Gets about 11mpg unloaded and doesn’t ride terrible, but it’s as good as it’ll get with a leaf sprung solid axle front. It’s reliable as anything I’ve owned and just crossed 230k miles last week. I got it at 63k miles and the only issues I’ve had other than regular maintenance and wear and tear parts is it spit out two spark plugs from the head (an issue with Ford only putting 4 stupid threads in aluminum heads on triton engines from 99-02). Good low end torque and acceptable ride. If you go for this engine, look for newer than 2003.
Great truck, reliable, easier to work on, solid axle, some tech upgrades but not too much.

My favorite though is my 89 F250 ext cab longbed. Yes, it has the turn radius of a dump truck but my TTB front rides really nice. It’s ride is better than the 99 on and off road. Dual tanks factory mean more fuel capacity. With my soon upgrade to a 38 gallon rear tank, I’ll be able to carry 57 gallons on board(about 53 gallons usable). It’s the 5.8 with a c6 trans, and 4.10 gears on 33” tires. If I keep it at 55mph and under it normally sees 10 to 11mpg, any higher and you can watch the fuel gauge fall lol. It does have a tall camper shell which may or may not affect the mpgs. It’s the one I’ve chosen to build as a dedicated overland truck for one simple reason... ease to work on. Minimal electronics and mostly mechanical operation and so much room to work on stuff. If you’re looking at obs fords, look older than 92. As others have pointed out, the tech didn’t change much in those years and 87 to 91 got the best of both worlds in my opinion and the prices are much better. I found mine for $2500 with 47k original and documented miles. Since I waterproofed the eec, I’d have no fear of fording and causing issues with the lights, trans, hvac or anything else other than the radio. Yes, you’ll have to do upgrades like putting the headlights on relays, and wear and tear parts will need to be replaced, but the lower initial cost makes that much easier. I look at it like this, if I spend 15k building it the way I want, I’ll be ahead since I can’t find anything worthwhile 99 and newer for under 15k or any decent obs in this trucks condition for less than 8k. Plus, the 302/351 (5.0/5.8) Ford small block v8 is very easy to find parts for anywhere in North America and much of South America and Australia.
Simple, reliable, can go through hell and get you back, easy to work on and repair in the field, lower initial investment

Anyways, just my two cents. I wish it was the old 6.9 diesel but other than that, my old brick is perfect for me. Just gotta watch out for tight switchbacks lol.

DirtRoads

Observer
I just sold this thing. 92 F350 CCLB 7.3 IDIT ZF5. I'm not going to miss it. I might miss the ability to limp it down the road when something goes wrong, but I won't miss something always going wrong. I definitely got my practice with field repairs even while approaching maintenance with the "do it right or not at all" mindset. The platform is just old. The air conditioning sucks, the doors suck, you can't have a conversation on the interstate, the seats made me super sore in no time, and on and on. Not every OBS is going to have as much trouble as I did, but they aren't getting any younger. This thing was my tow rig/camping rig, and the last thing you need to worry about is having a problem on the interstate on a sunday night miles from home.

Some of that is fixable. I just hit a wall where I didn't want to throw any more money at the thing knowing full well that some of my biggest gripes are totally unfixable. Replaced with a 2016 Power Wagon after a problem showed up that I don't have the willpower to fix.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
I owned a 2wd 96 PSD. Around town I got 14-17mpg.

Road trips I could squeeze out low 20s if I drove with the semi-trucks. Towing eastbound w the ex's Camaro on a trailer? 14mpg Towing westbound? 10ish mpg

M

Ari3sgr3gg0

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a 4x4 van? Those are much more common to find and he could set the interior to be what works for their full time lifestyle.
Personally I'd go for an older Chevy van and aim for the 6.2 or 6.5 diesel. Yes they aren't powerhouses but mpg is fantastic for what it is. My 1984 Burb got 25 mpg(earlier heads gave better mpg), my 1987 Burb got 23 mpg and the 1995 6.5 Burb got 20 mpg. These always had various tools and recovery gear in them. Being older they required maintenance but no worse than any other vehicle left to neglect.
My current vehicle is a 1989 F250 ECLB 5.8 ZF5 4x4 and I sure miss the mpg I used to get. This thing gets 13mpg, it really kills the mood of a road trip when the cost to drive it starts piling up real quick. Sure it's tough and just goes but the mpg has me looking at engine swap options so I take more adventures and worry less about gas cost

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a 4x4 van? Those are much more common to find and he could set the interior to be what works for their full time lifestyle.

Not sure where you are from, but in the southwest 4x4 vans are 10x harder to find than obs trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior