Talk me out of a Power Wagon

billiebob

I always thought this 2500 with 37’s looked right.

AEV-Prospector-34-View.jpg

But I wouldn’t complain about 40’s either!
They’d both be fun trucks.

adventure-ready-pickup-truck-aev-ram-prospector-xl_6.jpg
there are trade offs.... the bigger the tire the rougher the ride, the worse the gas mileage, the shorter the range between gas stations, the more unstable the highway driving thru rain slush, snow..... looking right is hardly a reason to pick a tire

ohh and then there is cost, and cost per mile

billiebob

I was considering a Power Wagon until I realized that a Honda Ridgeline could carry more payload. That's the truth!

View attachment 683645
Completely missing the point, the Honda only carries its payload on a paved highway...
The reason a Power Wagon hauls less payload is because it can haul that payload off road on Rubicon like trails.

No other pickup is more off road capable than the Power Wagon..... fully stock.
Load up that Ridgeline and see how far you can follow a loaded Power Wagon off road before the Honda needs a deck truck.

ps, Ford has an incredibly fast Trophy Truck ride but it does not articulate at low speeds as well as the Power Wagon.
Diffrent trucks built for different missions.
Pick the mission first.

40 years ago I wanted a Tremor..... today my mission is different.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
there are trade offs.... the bigger the tire the rougher the ride, the worse the gas mileage, the shorter the range between gas stations, the more unstable the highway driving thru rain slush, snow..... looking right is hardly a reason to pick a tire

ohh and then there is cost, and cost per mile

Range is a concern. But when you’re talking going from 12mpg to 11…..who cares? If it wasn’t a problem before, it won’t be a problem after.

Driving through snow and slush hasn’t ever been a problem for me with stock or lifted vehicle. As long as I’ve got good snow rated tires, I’m good.

Ride: I find bigger tires have better ride. Especially offroad.

billiebob

Range is a concern. But when you’re talking going from 12mpg to 11…..who cares? If it wasn’t a problem before, it won’t be a problem after.

Driving through snow and slush hasn’t ever been a problem for me with stock or lifted vehicle. As long as I’ve got good snow rated tires, I’m good.

Ride: I find bigger tires have better ride. Especially offroad.
so on range, I went from 33/10.50R15s to 31/7.50R16s and gained 5mpg thats a 95 mile range increase with the stock 19 gallon tank..... an extra 100 miles between fills is huge and I'll never need a jerry can. I always had a bit of range anxiety before, not now..... and ride is 100% better, I no longer steer around cracks or potholes, they barely get noticed.

Actually cut and narrowed the stock Rubicon flares for the right look/coverage.
The ride is great, the off road capability in the mountains even better.
33s, 35s, 37s are called floatation tires. If you don't need "floatation" floatation will hurt yer capabilities.
Aired down floatation tires are great for climbing waterfalls but do you climb waterfalls, is actually rock climb?

An extra 100 miles between gas stations says this look works on an expedition overlander.

DSCN2899.jpeg

phsycle

Adventurer
so on range, I went from 33/10.50R15s to 31/7.50R16s and gained 5mpg thats a 95 mile range increase with the stock 19 gallon tank..... an extra 100 miles between fills is huge and I'll never need a jerry can. I always had a bit of range anxiety before, not now..... and ride is 100% better, I no longer steer around cracks or potholes, they barely get noticed.

33s, 35s, 37s are called floatation tires. If you don't need "floatation" floatation will hurt yer capabilities.
Aired down floatation tires are great for climbing waterfalls but do you climb waterfalls, is actually rock climb?

An extra 100 miles between gas stations says this look works on an expedition overlander.

View attachment 683829

I thought we were talking HD trucks….

tacollie

Glamper

View attachment 683829
I went from 33s to 35s on my F250. My mpgs dropped .2 mpgs so I lost 6.4 miles of range. The truck rides much better in and off road. You can't compare a light TJ to an 8000lbs truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Lol, I don't know. I might want chrome bumpers next time around. The painted ones look nice.... when new.... But after they get all full of rock chips...

That’s the struggle, the painted ones chip, the fake chrome stuff holds up pretty well but it’s tacky as hell. Black is the perfect trade off.

billiebob

I thought we were talking HD trucks….
nothing heavy duty about the Power Wagon

one of the best most capable trucks ever but definitely not heavy duty
the Power Wagon has more in common with the Rubicon than a heavy duty truck

billiebob

That’s the struggle, the painted ones chip
thats called patina,,,, never worry about the chips that means the surface rust will always be sandblasted clean
worry about the areas without chips that is where rust will be a problem

and I agree if you want it to look new always, buy from AEV..... they really do a quality finish
one reason my TJR still has the factory bumper is the finish 15 years old still looks new
IMG_0597.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles