Talk me out of a Power Wagon

UglyViking

I don't know how much more I can add that hasn't already been said, but I went through the trouble of reading 3+ pages of responses so I may as well weigh in.

I'll note that you seem to be mostly/solely interested in HD trucks, so I'm gonna sidestep any mention of other mid/standard size trucks in an effort to keep this focused. I'm also assuming you're looking solely at the Ram and Ford because of the solid front axle, if so I'll also avoid mentioning the new 2022 GM HD trucks as they have revised their interior and seem fully with the times (as a longtime GM fan I've gotta say, finally…)

Frankly I don't think you can go wrong with either option. I would say that the Power Wagon is far more capable offroad than the "Tremor" package, which let's face it is a winch and some cheap shocks and doesn't really do much overall (also, doesn't the winch cost extra?)

I think overall you can get a more loaded vehicle with RAM for the same cost or you can spend less and get the same equipment as the Ford, option is yours.

Personally, unless you're really wanting the swaybar disconnect, or the factory winch setup, I'd save the cash and get a nicely loaded tradesman, then upgrade the suspension with a well rounded setup from Thuren/Carli and you'll have better performance with less cost, only down side may be trade in value.

I'm sure both trucks are more than capable offroad, but I have to say that aluminum has absolutely terrible tear strength, so that is one thing I was always nervous about living in the north east, I'd take a dent over a tear/puncture any day, although to be fair I may be blowing that out of proportion.

Lastly, I feel that the interior on the ram is nicer than the ford. Don't get me wrong, I think both look outstanding on the outside (although I give the nod to the ram) I think the ram interior feels much nicer, more comfortable and homey if you will, the ford feels a bit harsh and cold to me, and the plastics feel cheaper, even if they aren't.

EDIT: One thing I forgot, I absolutely prefer the flat rear of the Ford. Ford really nailed the rear seats of the HD crew cab in my mind. Not only more spacious (which sadly hurts turning radius) but also a flat floor. That is the single thing that drives me crazy about the Ram, nowhere near a deal breaker but every time I see the inside of a Ford HD cab I look at that flat rear floor with jealousy. I'm still happy with my 19 Ram cummins though.

Explorerinil

Observer
I think I need to do some more digging and see what comes up with the Ford 7.3. The F250 Tremor with 7.3 is at the top of my list, but a little hesitant due to the motor being so new. I think it would fit my needs/use case better, but if I remove Ford from the equation I end up at a PW.

I'm not opposed to buying something and modifying, but I'd rather have a factory config that is covered by their warranty that will meet my needs rather than modifying a new vehicle and potentially running in to warranty issues.
I get what your saying about the 7.3 being new, but the design is an old proven design with modern electronics, metals and machining. A pushrod iron block v8 with 6 bolt main and a forged crank with pistons that take design and coatings for high temp 6.7 diesel pistons is hard to screw up. Early on they had an issue with a spark plug wire, but that’s sorted out. Take in mind plenty of new blue bird school busses and RV’s are now running the 7.3. I can tell you I absolutely love my 7.3 and it’s stupid easy to service.

Explorerinil

Observer
I don't know how much more I can add that hasn't already been said, but I went through the trouble of reading 3+ pages of responses so I may as well weigh in.

I'll note that you seem to be mostly/solely interested in HD trucks, so I'm gonna sidestep any mention of other mid/standard size trucks in an effort to keep this focused. I'm also assuming you're looking solely at the Ram and Ford because of the solid front axle, if so I'll also avoid mentioning the new 2022 GM HD trucks as they have revised their interior and seem fully with the times (as a longtime GM fan I've gotta say, finally…)

Frankly I don't think you can go wrong with either option. I would say that the Power Wagon is far more capable offroad than the "Tremor" package, which let's face it is a winch and some cheap shocks and doesn't really do much overall (also, doesn't the winch cost extra?)

I think overall you can get a more loaded vehicle with RAM for the same cost or you can spend less and get the same equipment as the Ford, option is yours.

Personally, unless you're really wanting the swaybar disconnect, or the factory winch setup, I'd save the cash and get a nicely loaded tradesman, then upgrade the suspension with a well rounded setup from Thuren/Carli and you'll have better performance with less cost, only down side may be trade in value.

I'm sure both trucks are more than capable offroad, but I have to say that aluminum has absolutely terrible tear strength, so that is one thing I was always nervous about living in the north east, I'd take a dent over a tear/puncture any day, although to be fair I may be blowing that out of proportion.

Lastly, I feel that the interior on the ram is nicer than the ford. Don't get me wrong, I think both look outstanding on the outside (although I give the nod to the ram) I think the ram interior feels much nicer, more comfortable and homey if you will, the ford feels a bit harsh and cold to me, and the plastics feel cheaper, even if they aren't.
Your right, the power wagon is the ultimate factory off road truck. The ford tremor is basically the fx4 with a few more options, it’s NOT a power wagon direct competitor. With the tremor, regardless of f250 or f350 you get a 17 to 19 f350 suspension that gives 2 Inches of lift over a new 20+ super duty. You get some basic shocks that Ford claims are “tuned”, along with regular 18 inch rims but are powder coated black wrapped in 35 inch tires. You also get standard a rear locker and with gas trucks you can only get the 7.3 with 4:30 gears and the heavy duty Dana m275 rear axle. The tremor also has a front limited slip in the Dana 60 along with off road drive modes. A which is available as a dealer option for 3k. This truck is a good set up for a basic heavy duty off road truck that tows and hauls allot and sees light off road.

Grassland

As usual Ford shock offerings are garbage for top dollar. With a bunch of "optional extras".
However the standard 35s are something. Outside of CAFE in the half tons, I do not understand metric 33s on the larger trucks.
Power Wagon should be 35s stock.
Offroad half tons should be large 33s stock. To pay power wagon money and get 285/70R17 is quite annoying.
(And to be fair to pay all the extra money from Ford just to not have chrome bumpers and grilles is also annoying)

phsycle

Adventurer
As usual Ford shock offerings are garbage for top dollar. With a bunch of "optional extras".
However the standard 35s are something. Outside of CAFE in the half tons, I do not understand metric 33s on the larger trucks.
Offroad half tons should be large 33s stock. To pay power wagon money and get 285/70R17 is quite annoying.
(And to be fair to pay all the extra money from Ford just to not have chrome bumpers and grilles is also annoying)

I believe most “offroad” 1/2 tons do come with 33’s. ie Ford Tremor, ZR2, Rebel.

But I do agree the PW should come with 35’s. Other than cost cutting, what’s keeping Ram from spec’ing it with 35’s? It’s a 3/4 ton. No EPA rating required.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Lol, I don't know. I might want chrome bumpers next time around. The painted ones look nice.... when new.... But after they get all full of rock chips...

jadmt

ignore button user
I believe most “offroad” 1/2 tons do come with 33’s. ie Ford Tremor, ZR2, Rebel.

But I do agree the PW should come with 35’s. Other than cost cutting, what’s keeping Ram from spec’ing it with 35’s? It’s a 3/4 ton. No EPA rating required.
they sell all they can make so I suppose cost cutting is just more money in their pocket. maybe it has to do with crash ratings or something. Even 285/75-17 would be better.

phsycle

Adventurer
they sell all they can make so I suppose cost cutting is just more money in their pocket. maybe it has to do with crash ratings or something. Even 285/75-17 would be better.

Even cost cutting, that’s some major penny pinching. With the commercial contracts with various tire manufacturers, what’s that saving them? $80?

Although, I guess in the end, they’re a business. Loyalty is only to the owners.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Even cost cutting, that’s some major penny pinching. With the commercial contracts with various tire manufacturers, what’s that saving them? $80?

Although, I guess in the end, they’re a business. Loyalty is only to the owners.
Say it's $80 per truck. Times how many trucks I wonder? Might add up? No clue.

Maybe there's another reason behind it?

With a lot of vehicles offering 35's now with 37's optional, I won't be surprised if it does become an option on the next version. When is the Ram HD due for a redesign to match the 1500's?

ricoisme26

Say it's $80 per truck. Times how many trucks I wonder? Might add up? No clue.

Maybe there's another reason behind it?

With a lot of vehicles offering 35's now with 37's optional, I won't be surprised if it does become an option on the next version. When is the Ram HD due for a redesign to match the 1500's?

I always thought of this when manufacturers switch from 6 lug wheels to 5 lug wheels, what's that save them per stud? x4 per truck, multiply by thousands of trucks, all trims levels, that's a big savings, curious why RAM went back to 6 lug with the latest refresh to the 1500.

Also I believe the current 2500s and 3500s have been updated to match the 1500s? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back to the OP's question ( @jmnielsen ) I think a standard 3/4 ton will suite you better than a power wagon or tremor. Seems that any 3/4 ton would tow what you need to tow and haul what you need to haul. I think all three major manufacturers make a good product these days and all are competitive with one another while being more than competent at their jobs. Only caveat to that is the light payload of a power wagon (and equally light payload of 3/4 ton diesels). It all comes down to personal preference and what you like. Like many have stated in this thread the power wagon and tremor are expensive options groups that don't really net what you pay for (unless you want an offroad specific truck in the power wagon).

If I were in your position, with the same needs as you I would look at F250 6.2 or 7.3 optioned with what I truly wanted and then if I felt the need look at the aftermarket for a true upgrade in suspension be it for off road ability, DD comfort, or a combination of the two. That is just my personal preference.

jadmt

ignore button user
I always thought of this when manufacturers switch from 6 lug wheels to 5 lug wheels, what's that save them per stud? x4 per truck, multiply by thousands of trucks, all trims levels, that's a big savings, curious why RAM went back to 6 lug with the latest refresh to the 1500.

Also I believe the current 2500s and 3500s have been updated to match the 1500s? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Back to the OP's question ( @jmnielsen ) I think a standard 3/4 ton will suite you better than a power wagon or tremor. Seems that any 3/4 ton would tow what you need to tow and haul what you need to haul. I think all three major manufacturers make a good product these days and all are competitive with one another while being more than competent at their jobs. Only caveat to that is the light payload of a power wagon (and equally light payload of 3/4 ton diesels). It all comes down to personal preference and what you like. Like many have stated in this thread the power wagon and tremor are expensive options groups that don't really net what you pay for (unless you want an offroad specific truck in the power wagon).

If I were in your position, with the same needs as you I would look at F250 6.2 or 7.3 optioned with what I truly wanted and then if I felt the need look at the aftermarket for a true upgrade in suspension be it for off road ability, DD comfort, or a combination of the two. That is just my personal preference.
no they have not. The new 1500 cab is different.

phsycle

Adventurer

Remember that these changes aren’t being absorbed by the company. Especially in this market.

Guess who pays for it?

jadmt

ignore button user
Well, time for my weekly PW build up. ?

Tradesman w PW package. Liking the mustard yellow.

View attachment 683689
so when I bought mine which is the sliver one in post 22 a little over a year ago the white one had an msrp similar to this. I got mine for $50000 and the white one I could have gotten for $45000. Sometimes i think I should have went with the tradesman but then I go sit in my power wagon and totally forget the extra money :) i spent. Everyone is different tho on what is important to them. For me something you see every time you drive ie the dash and steering wheel is so much nicer on the power wagon. Believe it or not I actually let my wife make the choice and she said "it's a no brainer get the power wagon" happy wife happy life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles