Talk me out of a Power Wagon

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I'm in "need" of a new truck. Let me give a quick back story:

Owned a 2005 F150, took great care of it and stayed on top of maintenance. Spark plug ceramic cracked and fell in to the cylinder on a trip (known design flaw) ruining the motor. Truck went from being worth $13k to $1k in a few seconds.

Needed something quick after that happened, so bought a used 2013 ecoboost with 6.5 bed, max tow package, FX4, etc. I love the truck, and it tows great. Apparently, though, the manifolds can't handle it. After a year of minor towing (3k camper), one manifold warped and cost me about $1k to replace. About a year and a half later, after doing some more towing and hauling a truck camper the both sides have warped, both will need replaced at about $1k/ea (everywhere I've talked to locally has given me the same estimate).

I don't want to keep replacing them so I want to upgrade, these are my needs:

- Reliability. I want to buy something new and own if for the next decade at least without constant fixes or horrible "known issues" that the manufacturer doesn't address.
- I need to be able to tow 8k-9k lbs (travel trailer) on shorter (<250 mile) trips and the occasional long trip.
- I need a crew cab as it is me, wife, 2 kids, dog
- No plans for a truck camper, so don't need a super high payload
- Would really like at least a rear locker, have used mine on the FX4 a fair number of times and it's invaluable when it is needed.
- Gas. This will be my DD and I don't really care about mileage. For reference my 05 F150 average about 12mpg everywhere and this "eco" boost is around 15mpg avg.
- My wife said "no more Fords", so there's that.

The PW seems to have everything I want/need. The 6.4 seems to be reliable with minimal issues. On here and elsewhere I've seen many praise their PW reliability.

My other, and probably more favored, choice would be an F250 FX4 package with 6.2, but my track record with Fords has my wife and I slightly jaded.

85_Ranger4x4

I talked myself out if it by not REALLY needing all the PW stuff.

A mere mortal 2500 4x4 OR is a lot cheaper with better MPG and payload/towing.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I talked myself out if it by not REALLY needing all the PW stuff.

A mere mortal 2500 4x4 OR is a lot cheaper with better MPG and payload/towing.
Better payload / towing yes. Lot cheaper? I don't know. I equipped both truck to have similar equipment and they come out about the same:

(had I added premium lighting to the BigHorn to match the lighting in the PW, it would have forced me into another option group making the BigHorn more expensive than the PW.)
Screenshot 2021-09-22 145052.png
Screenshot 2021-09-22 145142.png

Screenshot 2021-09-22 145343.png
Screenshot 2021-09-22 145423.png
Personally, I'd go Power Wagon.

CFMGarage

You might be better off at a money management forum to get people to talk you out of a Power Wagon. Remember, this place spends your money.

I've not seen many posts where they are regretting buying a PW. If you could get the package on a 3500 with a Cummins it would be sitting in my driveway right now.

cobro92

You might be better off at a money management forum to get people to talk you out of a Power Wagon. Remember, this place spends your money.

I've not seen many posts where they are regretting buying a PW. If you could get the package on a 3500 with a Cummins it would be sitting in my driveway right now.

You sort of can - you just need to buy a 90k AEV prospector and then add front and rear lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
If Ford 3/4 ton is not an option, a Ram is the natural choice. Maybe even the first choice. Who knows. Although that 7.3L Ford……I wouldn’t mind that.

Me personally, I’d probably push the wife into an F250 Tremor with 7.3.
But if you’re more about full-size rock crawling, PW is where it’s at.

cobro92

Personally I’d just go with a Ford Super Duty Tremor with the 7.3 in the lariat trim with the ultimate package. I’d also add a factory winch. Will be 85% as nice inside as a PW but with far better towing/payload numbers (which are more important to me), and probably cost around the same as a loaded PW. Ford doesn’t have a disconnecting front sway bar or front locker but I don’t value those that highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles