Talk me out of a Power Wagon

ramblinChet

I didn't realize the 3500's had a payload capacity anywhere near that. My '07 2500 regcab 5.9 is about 2400#.
Mine is nothing - the highest payload rating I have seen on a RAM 3500 was 7,680 pounds for a Hemi DRW 4x2 with regular cab and long box. Amazing!

phsycle

Adventurer
I get a chuckle out of you guys who worry about what a vehicle looks like. On a scale of 1 to 10, for me looks would come in at at least 11. Functionality should always be #1 and reliability #2, far as I'm concerned.

Nothing wrong with liking the look of a truck as long as it serves a function. ??‍♂️ 37’s on a pick up truck is not like a coffee can exhaust on a Honda.

And if looks is #11, I wonder why you own a Desert Eagle? ?

Grassland

When do we start chanting Power Wagon and clapping our hands?

I'm also amused that gas is $1.319 a liter here in Loserpeg and higher in other parts of Canada (and approaching Canadian prices in some US states and we are like
"****** it, full siz and big tires, full send"

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I get a chuckle out of you guys who worry about what a vehicle looks like. On a scale of 1 to 10, for me looks would come in at at least 11. Functionality should always be #1 and reliability #2, far as I'm concerned.

I care about what a vehicle looks like, but reliability and functionality are what I want. Reliability is the reason I want out of my F150. The last thing I want to do is what @beef tits said and buy a brand new truck with unproven motor, let alone another twin turbo v6.

UglyViking

there are trade offs.... the bigger the tire the rougher the ride, the worse the gas mileage, the shorter the range between gas stations, the more unstable the highway driving thru rain slush, snow..... looking right is hardly a reason to pick a tire…
A bigger tire will have far better small bump compliance than a small tire, assuming the wheels are the same, or about the same size. Fair point about MPG, and it can vary depending on the vehicle. My JKU hated my wide 35s, and I should have never put them on, they were the absolute wrong tire for the vehicle but after having cheap skinny tires I wanted to try giving the big thick tire a shot, not the right call for the vehicle.

And unstable? I'll comment below.

so on range, I went from 33/10.50R15s to 31/7.50R16s and gained 5mpg thats a 95 mile range increase with the stock 19 gallon tank..... an extra 100 miles between fills is huge and I'll never need a jerry can. I always had a bit of range anxiety before, not now..... and ride is 100% better, I no longer steer around cracks or potholes, they barely get noticed. [clipped image + text for size]
Your range went up because the engine on those jeeps isn't the best for pushing heavy tires, so I'm not surprised you saw an increase, but 5mph seems like a bit of a stretch to me, are you sure that is accurate?

Also, you changed tire height and width, so it's sort of hard to really make and apples to apples here. a 10.5 wide tire would be narrow on an HD truck, a 7.5 wide tire? Forget it.

In terms of you steering around potholes vs not, I don't think it's fair to compare a very lightweight, short wheelbase, 2 door jeep with a HD crew cab. Additionally, I think you need to take into account the wheelbase difference between a jeep and a truck. Yeah, you may not need 37s to clear the pumpkin, or whatever, but the wheelbase on these HD trucks is pretty freaking long, and because of that you need to keep the truck up higher to account for that. You might be able to get away with 31s on a 2 door jeep, but you wouldn't want to on a power wagon.

jadmt

ignore button user
nothing heavy duty about the Power Wagon

one of the best most capable trucks ever but definitely not heavy duty
the Power Wagon has more in common with the Rubicon than a heavy duty truck
i dunno I have owned 4 rubicons 2014, 2016 and 2018 and a 2020 PW and there really is no much in common..I think guys like to think there is because of lockers and sway bar disconnect but really they are not the same. Both are fun rigs but different.

beef tits

I care about what a vehicle looks like, but reliability and functionality are what I want. Reliability is the reason I want out of my F150. The last thing I want to do is what @beef tits said and buy a brand new truck with unproven motor, let alone another twin turbo v6.

The non-hybrid 3.5 has been around since like 2017. Same motor they use in the latest Land Cruiser, which isn't sold in the US, and a few high HP Lexuses.

Also, Ford rollouts and Toyota rollouts are apples and oranges, my man... as are their reliability ratings. Will a 1st year Tundra have more problems than a 3rd/4th year Tundra? Sure.. both will pale in comparison to a 1st year Ford.

As far as I know, they haven't released MPG ratings yet but I would imagine the hybrid 3.5 will stomp the piss out of any F-150 Ford has on the retail shelf this year and like every other Toyota 4x4 ever built, these will be reliable and sought after machines for years to come.

Last edited:

stevo_pct

The problem with Tundras is their payload. Not a heavy duty truck if you're looking for something that will haul a slide in camper.

I know the OP isn't looking for a slide in, just bringing it up to point out that Toyotas can't do it all. It would be nice to have a HD version of the Tundra.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The problem with Tundras is their payload. Not a heavy duty truck if you're looking for something that will haul a slide in camper.

I know the OP isn't looking for a slide in, just bringing it up to point out that Toyotas can't do it all. It would be nice to have a HD version of the Tundra.
Agreed. So for this point if weight is a factor go with a 250 / 2500.

If it isn't and you want a Power Wagon. Go for it. Or, if you'd rather a Ram, Tundra, F150, Sierra, Silverado, Titan, face tattoo... go for it.

Explorerinil

Observer
How did it do?
Surprisingly well, granted we were on flat ground and on the highway mostly. I’m guessing any major wind or hills or stop and go traffic it would be ruff. I got to say I was impressed with it, my friend owns one of the first ridglines and it’s been problem free. He runs a small landscaping business with it, it’s often loaded with sod, dirt, gravel, etc along with tools in the cab and one worker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles