Tales of the Grey Mouser...

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
After years of ExPo neglected…Herein is told the tale of an everyday Jeep. Just the story of a ’04 Jeep Unlimited that lives its life much like a pair of well-loved hiking boots. Like those boots it wanders the hills and valleys of the east in a quest to find the solitary places deep in the forests and shaded glens where it roams. No, you’ll not find radical modifications or state of the art tech, but instead a Jeep that humbly lives its life running the woods, chasing down critters and lugging it’s payload to far flung jobsites. So here is the story of how the Grey Mouser got to be the Grey Mouser and the fun and adventure we’ve had along the way…

5360541347_5403e495c1.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Cshontz

Our tale begins in the late fall of 2006, where we find nestled in a creek side valley home…Us. We have always owned a Jeep of some kind including a Comanche (much missed), two ZJs and at this time a ‘98 TJ. We liked our little TJ. It was bought cheap with only 32,000 miles on the odometer the year before and had served us well as a weekend rambler.

5410754886_410062f055.jpg

But with the four of us it was tight quarters when it came to even a weekend camping trip. Something had to change, but we liked the platform and flexibility of the Wrangler. And as fate would have it a buddy of mine mentioned he was selling his ’04 Unlimited to go buy another Defender 90. The year before he had rolled and totaled his 90 on icy roads and gave up looking for a new one after a lot of searching about. So he had picked up this LJ as it was about the same size and had the classic Jeep lines, and as a classic car dealer he’s always drawn to those cars that cling to their heritage like a badge of honor. Anyway, a year later, here he found another Defender and was hot to get it. The LJ had to go and go quick. So with some horse trading, a very good deal (for us) and a handshake the LJ had a new home, namely ours. And so on that day an ’04 Jeep Unlimited Softop with just 13,500 miles became part of Clan Haggis. Man what a difference those extra inches made. That LJ felt like a luxury car on the highway compared to the ride of the TJ (though definitely still a Jeep, luxury ride is relative when dealing with Jeeps) and the available rear space was like having another Jeep along when it came to storage. Now, we always name our vehicles but the names have to be earned. So for a long time the Jeep was just that, “the Jeep”.

5410174773_bf54fb83ec.jpg

So we got it home and it wasn’t long when changes started being made. I had pulled off all the aftermarket stuff from the TJ before selling it and now it was time to swap that stuff over onto the LJ. The Smittybilt SCR front bumper and the DC 1 rims were swapped over. The bumper’s main function was to protect the Jeep from the mujihadeer that throw themselves into vehicles in acts of critter jihad at regular intervals in this area. So far that bumper has squirted two deer out the sides of the Jeep, crunched on big boulder and had a meeting with a guardrail whilst traversing icy roads and it’s got nothing to show for it other than a six inch scratch. Soon after the bumper was swapped Warn had their old reliable M8000 winch on sale so on went the winch. To mount it up I bought a Collins Brother winch plate and am happy to report that after 4 years of salt, antiskid, mud and gravel it is hold up very well. No powder coat problems at all. Same goes with the SRC bumper, though this was one of the last ones built by Smittybilt when they were still owned by Smittybilt. I wish all Jeep aftermarket parts held up so well.

5410830726_fa155d1f03.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Spring 2007 was our first road trip with the Unlimited but wasn’t a backcountry trip at all. Instead it was a run down to the Eastern Shore of Maryland for a long weekend to celebrate Michelle’s and mine anniversary. Three hundred miles there and the same back, the Jeep proved itself to be a great long distance runner and with the two of us we had room to spare. We looped around the Shore, checked out Delaware’s coast and wandered on foot through the Blackwater.

5410852160_7c41db966e.jpg

When I had the TJ it was intended to be a cheap, fun machine so I had bought a Full Traction 3” lift kit for it. It was economical and had everything included (disconnects, adjustable track bar and the like) other than new control arms. It was still sitting in the garage because the TJ went away before the install and the kit’s box was collecting dust as it sat on the storage shelf. Well it was time to put a lift on the Umlimited cause’ it needed a bit more clearance and also because LJ’s don’t look right at stock height. So one day I tore open the box and installed the lift. It turned out well. The lift rode better than stock and flexed nicely though it is maybe a little too flexy for my taste. We don’t have many rocks to crawl and I think this lift was set up more for that type of wheeling. For the time being I kept the 31s on the stock rims as they had a bit of tread left and rolled through winter.

5410271163_3313acff14.jpg

We did some weekend runs as time allowed. One weekend during a January thaw my boy Cam and I went hiking up in the Benezette area and ran some forest roads as the weather mellowed for a short time…here’s a link to that trip.

Anyways, after my 31s had finally wore out it was time for new meats. What I wanted was a set of tires I could run all year: snow and ice in the winter, mud all year long and still live with them as we use the LJ for a daily driver. I'd been going back and forth as to what size tire to get but finally settled on 285/75/16s. I was going to get either the Cooper STs or a set of the ******** Cepek FCIIs like I ran on my Ram. I'd been really impressed with my FCIIs and the first set I got over 55,000 hard miles out of them, and the STs that my brother-in-law (jim65wagon) runs have also been impressive. Meanwhile a few buds of mine have been raving about how these other tires have been preforming on their snow plowing and oil lease trucks and that they had switched over from the STs because of the same performance at a lower price. My tire guy set me up with a set and they found themselves rolling under my jeep.

100_2806a.jpg

They were a set of Dean Mud Terrain Radial STXs in 285/75/16. Mounted on Pro Comp 7189 16x8 rims with 4.5" BS the tires measured 32.75 " tall at 30 lbs. psi, have a 9.25" tread width, and are 11.25" inches and the widest section width and rated at Load range D.

100_2808a.jpg
100_2801a.jpg

I have about 35,000 miles on them now I really like them, so much so that a set of the same exact tire rides under my Tundra. I figure I should get around 45,000 miles of life out of them.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
After thinking and rethinking about how I wanted to mount a CB in the LJ, I finally got it done. I didn't want to mount the CB on the side of the console because I want full use of the slide function of the front seats, and I didn't want to mount it on the dash above the console. While looking through one of the Jeep magazines I saw an ad for the Miller products CB mount that puts a mini CB above the Dash in the drivers left corner. Seemed like it would work and at $24 bucks what the heck, I'd give it a try.

Here's the "kit" I used; Millers CB mount, 3' tunable Firestick, and a Cobra 19 Ultra mini CB. Here's a shot of the CB on the Millers mount.

100_2786a.jpg

Here's the mount installed on the dash. It mounts using the two panel screws on the side of the dash and takes about 1 minute to install. The cable was run to a three foot Firestick mounted to the front bumper.

100_2788a.jpg

I've been pretty happy with the mount. It's easy to reach, easy to see, and doesn't effect visibility at all. OK, I can't see my inspection sticker now, but I can live with that.

About this time my wife joked about “the Jeep” stealing all my money. She said sarcastically that a least the Jeep had charm. That reminded me of one of my favorite literary characters, the Grey Mouser. A short wiry thief and swordsman who beguiled and charmed his targets as he robbed them blind. And so “the Jeep” became the “Grey Mouser”.

More to come...

Expedition Leader
Nice truck and write-up.

I've enjoyed Fritz Leiber's stories in past years also.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
Great story. In the short time I've been around here, I've enjoyed reading of & looking at pics of the Mouser! Thanks! The practical approach free of every bolt-on thingy is always great!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Thanks guys! After all the attention the Mouser's companion Fafhrd the Tundra gets I thought our little Jeep deserved some attention.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
The Tale Continues...

Well we ran the Mouser all over the backwoods of PA looking for sweet spots to explore, trails to hike, streams to fish and wildlife needing a dinner plate to sit on. On the forest roads above Kane, PA…

5411043809_c7bdfe43d5.jpg

My daughter Allison with her first tom turkey…

5411692028_5aa25f5ce2.jpg

But one thing that became a nuisance was that darn softtop. Sure it was nice to pop open the Sunrider top when the Pennsylvania weather would allow it, but the truth was that with the large amount of dirt roads we cover here on a daily basis and all the winter crud it made opening the rear flap a royal pain. I was always scrubbing up the zippers and maintaining them to keep them debris free. Add to that the fact that Michelle used it as her winter ride and hated not being able to scrape the plastic windows off, I knew we needed a hardtop.

So the search began for an LJ hardtop, not the easiest thing to find locally and not cheap either. Unlimited hardtops seemed to be running in the $1500 to $2000 range at that time. Now I'm not cheap but I am frugal so I waited patiently scouring the various Jeep forums for just the right top. Then behold…an used hardtop just across the state line in Ohio no more than 50 miles away popped up on the JeepForum. A phone call revealed it to be a unit sitting at a Jeep dealership collecting dust. The previous owner traded it in on warranty as the passenger side window leaked, but the manager wanted it gone and it was priced to sell…at $500 bucks. The next day it was sitting on sawhorses at my house awaiting my buddy to come and reinstall the window for me. As that's what he does for a living, half an hour and 45 bucks later for a new gasket I had a leak proof hardtop. Well it wasn't long when my wife echoed what I was already thinking…the interior white gel coat had to go. So doing some research on the old internet this is what I did…

Here's the hardtop interior in its factory state.
100_2813a.jpg

I started by masking off anything I didn't want liner one and removed the front latches, covering the mounting holes with tape so as to not gum them up. Using my variable speed angle grinder on its lowest rpm setting and a 4 1/2 " Sashco Buffy Pad I scuffed up the interior. The Buffy Pad is basically a Norton buff pad (it's made by Norton for Sashco) but with a finer grit to use on removing stains and grime from logs. I finished up by hand sanding using 250 grit to get all the spots the grinder couldn't reach. Then the hardtop got cleaned off by some air and then wiped down with denatured alcohol. I used the Dupli-color bed liner in the rattle cans and did three light coats in all leaving about 20 minutes in between coats. The can suggested 5 minutes, but I wanted to make sure it was setting up good. This built up the coating to about the thickness of 2 sheets of tablet paper. The resulting coating looks awesome and has a nice feel to it. I thought it was like neoprene in texture my wife thought it felt like snake skin. Either way, Michelle was real happy with it and so was I.

Heres a shot of it finished and a detail picture too.

100_2814a.jpg
100_2815a.jpg

\I like the new look, makes the top seem custom without a cheap plastic look. I let it sit a couple of days to makes sure it sat up real nice and the stink was blown out. If you do this do it outside, the fumes are strong. I used my respirator and wore long sleeves, goggles and an old hat.

It's been 2.5 years now since I shot the inside of my '04 Unlimited and it looks like new. We're real happy with how it turned out and it seems to help with roads noise some. I've got nothing but compliments on how it looks and the Jeep guys that have ridden it all say they like it better than the white gel coat in their Jeeps hardtops. Heres a couple of photos for those who are interested.

From the side...

100_1314a.jpg

From the rear...

100_1315a.jpg

I do have some small scratches here and there and we'll give it a touch up the next time we pull the top off.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Once the weather broke we were out wandering again…

100_1202a.jpg

As spring wound into the summer of '08 the ExPo East bunch started laying out plans for the annual MON event down in West Virginia. As we were having a great response to our planning thread, we knew our original campsite wasn't big enough to hold all the participants. So the core of the group (BigAl, Jim65wagon, Cshontz and I) deployed on an under the radar covert mission to procure a new campsite. My boy Cam and I jumped into the Mouser and headed down into the Monongahela National Forests in West Virginia to meet up with the boys. Though it worked out in the end, it was a muddled weekend. The first night Al drove past the campsite as he didn't recognize my Jeep as an LJ and he passed the campsite in the dark. While scouting out sites, Chris managed to blow out a tire and stepped into poo that wasn't from any animal. But in the end Jim and Al found a great site for the MON 08 event though life threw a curveball into Al's and Chris's plans and they couldn't attend the main event. No pics for this scouting trip unfortunately but here is the link to the MON '08 event.

After rhe scouting trip we continued to vagabond around all summer and fall…

100_1082a.jpg
4190641142_047b98f219.jpg

Notice the new rear bumper? That was added to carry the 33" spare and save the tailgate hinges. It's a Genright TJ tube bumper and only weighs in at 65 lbs. sans tire. I bought it on sale at their site as I was looking for a lower weight solution to a tire carrier. While it is functional and light weight, the hinge sytem is problematic (it's always loosening no matter how much you tighten it) and the western powder coating failed during the first winter's salt attack. I'm planning on blasting it clean, Por15-ing it and having it Linex this spring. Unless I rip it off and get $14.50 per hundred weight for the steel at the scrappers first.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Brrr...it's gonna be cold!

Then the snow built up around the cabin and the dreaded winter blahs began to set in. I tossed out the idea of a winter ExPo run and with the PA boys being as cabin bound as me the first PA Ridgerunner event came to be. I knew it was going to be cold and I do not like sleeping in a tent when the snow is flying around. So I began pondering a way to sleep comfortably in the back of the Mouser. I was checking out the back of the LJ to see how comfy it would be to sleep in there but between the seat tracks and the seat belts I figured it would be a pain, literally. So I threw this together out of scrap in the shop. It turned out pretty good for design on the run engineering. A view from the back.

100_1244a.jpg

Front view with sleeping extensions folded back.

100_1246a.jpg

Front View with sleeping extensions extended.

100_1245a.jpg

This gives me the width and length of a twin matteress. I'm able to slide the smaller action packers underneath the sleeping platform. There is a bulk head in the center to help support the wieght. It's darn sturdy and for a total of 25 bucks (I had to buy a cheap carpet from wally world, $20.

Here it is in use…

5367205932_349351c53e.jpg

It’s super comfy and there is plenty of room for two folks and all their gear for a week at a time.

What a fun but cold trip. We didn't end up camping as lows were gonna be well below 0* that night, but we had a blast that day.

3225770472_97bbfc42d0_b.jpg

Photo by Cshontz

100_1255a.jpg

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck mate. Love the Avvy too ;) Mon the Scots eh. What family are ya from??? I'm a Devidson personaly .

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94