Taking the plunge 6.5 Grendel.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Well I'm diving into the deep end 6.5 Grendel. Bolting a 20" barrel 1-8" twist onto my AR-15 chassis made by Alberta Tactical . Heres to good luck shooting, so heres a before shot before I go crazy.

Attachments

• albe.jpg
    albe.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10

robert

Expedition Leader
You should enjoy it. I've got a couple of friends who've switched to it for hunting and they're happy with it's performance on white tail and hogs down here. If I didn't already have a 6.8 I'd probably buy a 6.5G.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Odin Works 20" barrel, gas block,gas tube, b.c.g. delivered. Now for the fiddly bits, 15" hand guards, magazine, reloading dies. I hope to have it all by middle of next week!?

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Not sure if i'll be using it, I will most likely x-fer all the 5.56 stuff to it as the 11.5" barrel really limits the range/accuracy of it. As i live in canadaland an AR is only allowed usage at the range. I do have a decent range of 500m here, but will be applying for an import /export permit for the states so I can try for longer ranges.

robert

Expedition Leader
Yep, another big fan of the A1 uppers, I especially like it for knocking around and plinking. I wish I'd bought a load of them when they were cheap. The short barreled performance is one of the reasons why I bought my 6.8, it's only 11.3" (Wilson) without the suppressor mount. I dropped three last season, two bucks and a doe. The first buck dropped in his tracks and the other two only took about a step each. It's due to the bullet's performance but that's also my biggest complaint as the 120gr Hornady SST rounds did not hold together and they absolutely destroyed themselves- I found lots of fragments. I was grateful for the clean quick kills (and not having to drag them out of the woods) but it was amazing the damage they did; I should have taken some pictures.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
AAAAAAAARRRRRRHHHHHHH! I sometimes wonder if I'm adulting wrong. It seems I have to reinvent the manned moon landing, I had to remove a few hundreds off my case holder to allow proper sizing of the case right at the base. So it was to the nut and bolt bin , find a 1/4 20 nut bolt, file the head so i could put it in my drill chuck. Then out with the lapping compound then a while of boredom later it works! That's even trimming the cases to length beforehand.?. Ahh well I just need the hand guards and its done. With the spare bits my spare anderson lower and a few $ spent , I'm putting together a second AR.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
If you're really planning to push the rifle like it appears you want to (reloading and all), you're going to want to install a decent trigger. Look into the Geissele triggers or their budget line (actually in his wife's name) ALG Defense. There are others out there as well that are very good too but almost any of them should be a big improvement on the stock, military style triggers, even if you've polished that mil. spec trigger.

Check your detent pins before installing them, cheap pins often have poor finishing on the tips and can cause sticking. If you haven't done so already, before installing the roll pin for your bolt release, put masking tape on the side of the receiver in case you slip with your punch you won't mar the side of your receiver. It's not a bad idea to do this on the right side when installing the mag release button as well. You had your finger in front of the hammer when you let it fall which is good, letting it slap against the lower can crack the lower.

Welcome to Black Rifle Disease- once you build one you'll want to build more in different configurations. I think it's best been described as "Barbie for men".

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
The lower in the video is being built into a "parts remaining gun". While I dont have a Geissele in my Alberta Tactical, thats the one in the pic in post one. The trigger it does have has been given just a bit of care by a weapons technician or as ya'll Americans say armorer. it breaks at about 4.2 lbs, has positive engagement,not much creep, and a crisp reset. I'm not going to say never to one but just not now. One of the major issues is the US/CDN dollar conversion and ITAR regs. While the ITAR regs are changing our dollar continues to hang low like paratroopers boots.
As to the tape, you know it. Its a fairly common thing to be used in my machinations of much evil ?? thank you though. The pieces rifle will be for friends to shoot while the 6.5 will be used to do groups @500m once i get it figured out.
I've had black rifle-itis , from when we switched from the FNC1 to the C7all the way to the C7A3 variant in the early 90's. It is a great rifle BUT the 5.56/.223 isn't all that some ppl say, yes it does have advantages over the x51 NATO but theres better rounds for what I want to do.

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
And it's done ! 6.5 Grumble done While annoyed at the ammo making issues the rest of it went relatively smooth. It being an AR all I had to do was wait for the parts to arrive from all corners of the world . Hand guard from china, muzzle brake from Newfoundland. With the short barrel A1 5.56 AR OLD SCHOOL Upper, its used parts from here in Canadaland. Well now comes the work to see what works and what doesn't for ammo ?

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Sure looks usable, just to find a good bullet powder combo

Attachments

• 20190328_173539.jpg
    20190328_173539.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190328_173556.jpg
    20190328_173556.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 14

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Well I took it to the range and I did some ladder testing with powder and bullets. It appears that I may have found a good start point next time out, the chronograph makes the trip also. Will keep y'all updated, but for now heres small charges of tannerite vs my bolt 223 play safe.

I have also checked my fireformed cases against the Case gauge , both before and after resizing them in the FL die. once a collect a worth while amount I'll anneal them final checks

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
So they are done. Now the dangerous parts according to our Canadaland guv'iment are locked away ?? I found out the A1 upper is CMMG it has an Anderson lower 11.5 barrel in 5.56 for shooting it out in closets. The 20" Odin works barrel is on a upper and lower made by Alberta TACTICAL

Attachments

• 20190328_173539.jpg
    20190328_173539.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 201901.jpg
    201901.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190401.jpg
    20190401.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads