Taking off to the Great White North

photo nomad

Adventurer
The Salmon Glacier is the 5th largest glacier in North America. It was impressive, glad I was able to see it in person.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441248389.781914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441248421.106251.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

photo nomad

Adventurer
I really enjoyed the Cassiar Hwy. Saw more bears in a few hours then the whole trip combined! Plus it's just a beautiful drive.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441249166.716433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441249204.479077.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441249234.263456.jpg

photo nomad

Adventurer
Camped on the shores of Callaghan Lake near Whistler last night. Great spot for anyone coming through the area.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441396300.463476.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441396311.279010.jpg

photo nomad

Adventurer
Found some gals willing to try and clean some of the road grime off my truck in Squamish, and then went off exploring the Squamish Valley for the day. The valley is a great area for dispersed camping.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441569657.706628.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441569703.777723.jpg

JLed79

Looks like a fantastic trip! I grew up in North Pole and your definitely making me homesick! Glad to see you made it out to Mcarthy and Kennicot. Did you take the Denali highway over to Denali from Paxon lake or down the Parks from Fairbanks?
The trip from Dawson city is very cool too. Not sure if you found this out while there or not, but the name Chicken wasn't the intended name of that town. They wanted to name it Ptarmigan, but no one knew how to spell it, so Chicken it is.
Anyway. Great pics and hope you had fun.

photo nomad

Adventurer
Looks like a fantastic trip! I grew up in North Pole and your definitely making me homesick! Glad to see you made it out to Mcarthy and Kennicot. Did you take the Denali highway over to Denali from Paxon lake or down the Parks from Fairbanks?
The trip from Dawson city is very cool too. Not sure if you found this out while there or not, but the name Chicken wasn't the intended name of that town. They wanted to name it Ptarmigan, but no one knew how to spell it, so Chicken it is.
Anyway. Great pics and hope you had fun.

I didn't even know about North Pole until we drove through it. Loved the way the businesses decorated their exteriors and took it to heart.
We took the Parks road from Fairbanks, wish I could have spent more time in Denali, beautiful place!
I did hear about the naming issue with Chicken when I stopped there. Quirky little town, and a great place to stop and chat with others on the road.
If anyone is wondering, the Top of the World hwy is much easier then the Dempster or N Canol. I met a nice German couple refueling in Chicken that had tried to go up the Dempster twice and turned back both times because it was rough and quite slippery at times when it was wet. They had a Ford pickup with a slide in camper.

smlobx

Wanderer
Great trip and thanks for the pics!

When you get a chance I would be interested in your expenses as we are planning on a similar trip in a couple of years. Then on the other hand you may not want to know!! HAHA

photo nomad

Adventurer
I'm back in the lower 48 after a little set back in Vancouver. Thankfully there wasn't much in the truck at the time, and I only lost 1/2 a day dealing with the mess.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442006112.124030.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442006124.115812.jpg

photo nomad

Adventurer
Great trip and thanks for the pics!

When you get a chance I would be interested in your expenses as we are planning on a similar trip in a couple of years. Then on the other hand you may not want to know!! HAHA

I haven't looked at my spending yet, but I'm guessing that I'll have logged about 11,500 miles round trip. Gas is by far my biggest expense as I stayed in my roof top tent the entire trip, and mostly dispersed camping. When I did stay in campgrounds they averaged $20 a night, but I don't think I've spent more then 12 nights out of 32 in campgrounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94