Taking care of james baroud roof top tent

WestBoundDave

Observer
Hi I have black James Baroud roof top tent. I live in Australia, and cannot park it in the garage. When not in use for longer periods I take it off and store in the garage, but it is painfull process to take it off and put in on again. I am worried about the strong sunlight doing damage to the fiberglass. What is the best way to ensure that the fiberglass stays in top shape, while exposed to direct sunlight. I cannot park it in the shade either. Are there some chemical products I can use to protect the FG?
Thank you
David

brentbba

Explorer
Two thoughts - Marine grade polish applied regularly. Boat product as the fiberglass on boats is in the sun constantly too! Second suggestion would be a custom cover. If the truck is your daily driver, it'd be a pain, but...might be worth it. I've used the little protective cover JB ships the tent with.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Here is a question in the spirit of the Ops' question.

I haven't washed or waxed my black Baroud in three years and can tell my looking at it that it needs some attention. It's getting some small spider cracks in the gel coat.

What is the easiest way to remedy that? I know nothing about boats or gel coat.

WestBoundDave

Observer
Ok, after doing some research and as suggested by brentbba, I have decided to go the Marine way. Used the following in the order of being listed
Meguiars Marine Heavy Oxidation Remover
Meguiars Marine High Gloss Polish
Meguiars Marine Flagship Premium Wax
Below are the before and after pictures, took about 3 hours, including washing it properly. Now the question is what is it going to look like in couple of months.

Attachments

• Photo 18-5-19, 15 42 51.jpg
    Photo 18-5-19, 15 42 51.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • Photo 18-5-19, 15 43 14.jpg
    Photo 18-5-19, 15 43 14.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • Photo 18-5-19, 17 32 44.jpg
    Photo 18-5-19, 17 32 44.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
  • Photo 18-5-19, 17 09 48.jpg
    Photo 18-5-19, 17 09 48.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95

brentbba

Explorer
Ok, after doing some research and as suggested by brentbba, I have decided to go the Marine way. Used the following in the order of being listed
Below are the before and after pictures, took about 3 hours, including washing it properly. Now the question is what is it going to look like in couple of months.
Wow! Nice work! Seriously, nice work bringing that roof back to life!

Two thoughts - Marine grade polish applied regularly. Boat product as the fiberglass on boats is in the sun constantly too! Second suggestion would be a custom cover. If the truck is your daily driver, it'd be a pain, but...might be worth it. I've used the little protective cover JB ships the tent with.

You’ve nailed it. Periodic wash with mild soap and marine wax is perfect. Be sure to keep the solar panel waxed as well!

OregonJKU

@David, Nice job! Question for you: given you have a black tent, does it get hot to touch in the sun? Does it get it hot inside when you go to bed?

carbon60

Explorer
@David, Nice job! Question for you: given you have a black tent, does it get hot to touch in the sun? Does it get it hot inside when you go to bed?

Mine is also black. I've never noticed if it was hot, since I don't generally have to touch the top surface. It does seem to do a good job baking the humidity out of the linens inside it, though. :)

A.

What protective cover? I didn't get one with mine. Unless when t was installed it got lost. Is there really a cover for the Baroud?

brentbba

Explorer
Mine was still in it's box when I arrived. Polyester cover with the JB logo on it was covering the fiberglass top when we opened the box. Sorry, I don't have a pic.

brentbba

Explorer
What protective cover? I didn't get one with mine. Unless when t was installed it got lost. Is there really a cover for the Baroud?
This cover. Mine was still in the shipping box when I picked it up and this cover was on the tent in the box.
20190825_175636.jpg20190825_175648.jpg

Awesome job. Look at the shine. Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles