Takedown canoe

wild1

Adventurer
I saw a very interesting canoe on the back of a small Sprinter based motorhome this winter in Boulder City Nev. It was on a custom rack at the rear of the RV that held two mountain bikes and the canoe. What was unusual was that the canoe was a kevelar Mad River that had been cut in half and then had bulkheads built into the open ends. It allowed the two sections to sit on the rack platform and stand vertically. When you were ready to use the canoe the two bulkheads could be bolted together and you had a 16 foot boat. Who ever did the work was quite skilled. I have never seen this with a canoe before and haven't found anything similar on Goggle. Anybody encountered a setup like this? It seems like a excellent way to carry a substantial boat without having to climb up and down from the roof of a tall expo truck. Wish I would have had my camera for a picture.

tacomabill

Trying to picture this. So after bolt the two together you have the two bulkheads in the middle and each section is water tight?

Alloy

A Packboat (folding canoe) is an option. I saw one used on CL last week.

wild1

Adventurer
A Packboat (folding canoe) is an option. I saw one used on CL last week.

A friend has one and we have a Klepper folding kayak. They are better then no boat but setup and tear down are time consuming. The beautiful thing about the take down canoe would be the portability compared to the short setup time

1000arms

I saw a very interesting canoe on the back of a small Sprinter based motorhome this winter in Boulder City Nev. It was on a custom rack at the rear of the RV that held two mountain bikes and the canoe. What was unusual was that the canoe was a kevelar Mad River that had been cut in half and then had bulkheads built into the open ends. It allowed the two sections to sit on the rack platform and stand vertically. When you were ready to use the canoe the two bulkheads could be bolted together and you had a 16 foot boat. Who ever did the work was quite skilled. I have never seen this with a canoe before and haven't found anything similar on Goggle. Anybody encountered a setup like this? It seems like a excellent way to carry a substantial boat without having to climb up and down from the roof of a tall expo truck. Wish I would have had my camera for a picture.
Modular kayaks exist too: https://paddling.com/gear/kayaks/modular/

Alloy

A friend has one and we have a Klepper folding kayak. They are better then no boat but setup and tear down are time consuming. The beautiful thing about the take down canoe would be the portability compared to the short setup time

With the difference in installing racks on the truck, loading, tie down I figure the our Pakboat takes 20min longer than our regular canoes.

Being able to store it away means there's allot of comfort in not worring about theft. Can't say the same about our Kevlar canoes.

Resale on a Pakboat will be better than a custom job.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier