Take a look at the Defender accessories that I am making - Feedback appreciated.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is much appreciated and I don't take offense because I know what I'm doing. This isn't my first rodeo. I have been doing product design and development professionally for 12 years now. Indeed there are other manufacturers of headlight guards out there so you are correct on that point. If you think that these are just like everything else out there then you're simply not paying enough attention to the details. If you're someone who is more concerned about price over quality then these products are not for you. The good news is that there are already plenty of cheaply made products for your Defender out there for you to choose from.

While I like what Nakatenga is doing, my products are nothing like theirs. Their small headlight guard costs $236 and is made from powder coated steel. Their headlight surround requires you to use the flimsy series surround in conjunction with it. I already have a prototype of the surround they are making and I intend to take it one step further by including the cylindrical trim around the headlight that the original plastic one has. For all my products (except the surround which is one piece) I am utilizing a unique male-female interlock construction to increase durability and rigidity. No one else is currently doing this. It is more time consuming but it makes for a better product. So to recap, in terms of material, finish, construction and design my products are different from the competition.

Unique aspects of my products:
• material: aluminum. much lighter than steel and no corrosion issues.
• finish: type 3 (hard) anodization which unlike powder coat or paint will not flake.
• construction: unique plug-welded male-female interlock construction for increased rigidity.
• design: clean, simple and functional designs.

Against my better judgement I decided that these guards should be produced here in Portland, Oregon instead of overseas which would be cheaper. In fact, I have a Chinese factory lined up and ready to go but I am not interested in making things cheaper. I am interested in making things better, first and foremost. I'm going to be perfectly happy if I just sell 20 sets of each products and judging by the pre-orders I already have it's looking promising. I'm making these for me and for those who share my values in terms of craftsmanship and quality. I agree with the comment on seeing these installed. I plan to update the site with actual photos as soon as the golden samples are in hand and have been photographed.

The guards are just scratching the surface of whats to come. I have other tools for adventure currently in development that are not related to Defenders. If you're a fan of Snow Peak and the likes and if you appreciate quality outdoor products with a high attention to detail then stay tuned. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• www.tiktaalik.com 2 (1).jpg
    www.tiktaalik.com 2 (1).jpg
    571.8 KB · Views: 32
  • www.tiktaalik.com 1 (1).jpg
    www.tiktaalik.com 1 (1).jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 30
  • www.tiktaalik.com 4 small.jpg
    www.tiktaalik.com 4 small.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 30
  • www.tiktaalik.com 2 small.jpg
    www.tiktaalik.com 2 small.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 30
  • www.tiktaalik.com 5 small.jpg
    www.tiktaalik.com 5 small.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 27
  • www.tiktaalik.com 3 small.jpg
    www.tiktaalik.com 3 small.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 31

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
A note on the grill

A few notes on the aluminum version of the OEM grill. No one is currently making an aluminum version of the stock grill and no one is using my construction method because I came up with it. The grill will be far superior the plastic version in terms of rigidity and radiator protection. If you take a look at the rendering you can see vertical slots on the 4 vertical crossbars behind the grill. These slot are designed to fit a mount that I also have designed. The mount would allow you to install lights or light bars, IR cameras etc. Because of its structural rigidity you can now mount things directly to the grill itself, something you couldn't do with the plastic grill.

www.tiktaalik.com Grill.jpg

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Security Products

Abu Buckwheat and Wuntenn,

I share your interested in security products and I have some concepts that I can share with you. I had my 90 broken into a few years back.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like the grill. Looks factory and can be powder coated black.

I would pay little attention to the critics. What is important is to determine if the criticism is offered from a potential customer. i.e., someone that owns a Defender and intends to modify it. A customer that owns an NAS90 or 110, or is in the process of restoring/upgrading a clean import County, etc. There will always be price sensitive buyers and quality sensitive buyers. Your real challenge will be to ensure enough quality sensitive buyers own Defenders and want precision machined/manufactured hard parts. . .

libarata

Expedition Leader
American made? I wish I had a LR to support you with! Make me a better grill for my roo, and we can talk :D

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Very good point. Thanks for the input, Scott.

I like the grill. Looks factory and can be powder coated black.

I would pay little attention to the critics. What is important is to determine if the criticism is offered from a potential customer. i.e., someone that owns a Defender and intends to modify it. A customer that owns an NAS90 or 110, or is in the process of restoring/upgrading a clean import County, etc. There will always be price sensitive buyers and quality sensitive buyers. Your real challenge will be to ensure enough quality sensitive buyers own Defenders and want precision machined/manufactured hard parts. . .

newhue

Adventurer
A grill is not hard to remove anyway, but a super easy one and strong to-boot may have weight here n Aus. Rocks from other cars can pierce a radiator easily, it may also help with keeping the radiator's integrity with a roo or bird strike. If it can be tilted or removed easily then it is also makes cleaning grass seeds out of the radiator a lot easier.

I for one don't want to be hanging anything off my grill, more air the better down here in summer. In saying all this too I have a roll down mesh screen to cover the grill for grass seeds, it also then has a roll down flap for water crossings. Is hard wearing, attaches easily and stays in place. $65. It's a tough market.

Elbee

Adventurer
Headlight/taillight bezels and guards are pretty common to get a hold of. It think things like side indicator guards, rear quarter panel storage lockers, dash accessories that replace the crappy plastic with metal (that is not ungodly expensive.), scrub bars (side bars that a lot of aussie trucks have).

0884b844111360268a54be83f566dd17.jpg
OT_Schutzgitter_Seitenblinker_sw_01.jpg
b32ba93e314285c535fd2c8938c2331f.jpg

Juddy

Adventurer
I agree alloy is lighter than steel, but alloy needs to be thicker than steel also to give it more support, thus thicker alloy, thiner steel, same weight. ( some times )

As for light guards, theres some cheap and simple ones out there then theres some very expensive ones, from my own personnel view, 95% of Defender owners would have a heart attack at paying over $300AU for a pair, high end Defender parts is a very niche market.

I recently received a pair of Kahn Defender Light Guard, around $430 with shipping, nice outer box, nice packaging, but I was some what disappointed with the guards, yes the mesh is mine spec, and the welds 100%, but $200 would have been too much to pay. We could reproduce like for like in the shop for $120.00

Instead we just made a simple version, thats going to RRP for $120.00.

Paying top $ is fine but its got to give you that special feeling, or you feel like you have wasted money.

On a side note I do like the wing Indicator guards

Heres ours, the black will be paired Silver behind the logo to make it stand out more.

Still great to see other people coming up with new ideas.

Last edited:

newhue

Adventurer
In your haste to promote yourself Juddy, you have forgotten to tighten your indicator lens. Don't take it personally, but this thread is not about you or your products.

Juddy

Adventurer
In your haste to promote yourself Juddy, you have forgotten to tighten your indicator lens. Don't take it personally, but this thread is not about you or your products.

Being from Yorkshire I don't take things personally. Not promoting myself either just contributing to this thread, but I good idea maybe I should push the home grown land rover products.

And for the record anyone who has a idea I respect 100%.

And no the lens is fine trust me I fitted I know.

Elbee

Adventurer
FYI
I like your website.
I also really like those battery connectors.

Also do you have photos of some of your products fitted to a truck. it will help visualize exactly how they look on the truck. I know the light bezels and radiator are pretty standard, but it may help also.

newhue

Adventurer
Tiktaalik

here you go, can you do something with these bad boys. These are off a 130 tub, perhaps 110 and 90 rears would all be different, but the fronts would all be that same. At the ridiculous price asked for a bit of rubber, and how fast you loose them off road, I'll happily take your prototypes off you. I can see myself and my six Defender buddies all going down this road.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I would also be disappointed if I paid $430 for those.

I agree alloy is lighter than steel, but alloy needs to be thicker than steel also to give it more support, thus thicker alloy, thiner steel, same weight. ( some times )

As for light guards, theres some cheap and simple ones out there then theres some very expensive ones, from my own personnel view, 95% of Defender owners would have a heart attack at paying over $300AU for a pair, high end Defender parts is a very niche market.

I recently received a pair of Kahn Defender Light Guard, around $430 with shipping, nice outer box, nice packaging, but I was some what disappointed with the guards, yes the mesh is mine spec, and the welds 100%, but $200 would have been too much to pay. We could reproduce like for like in the shop for $120.00

Instead we just made a simple version, thats going to RRP for $120.00.

Paying top $ is fine but its got to give you that special feeling, or you feel like you have wasted money.

On a side note I do like the wing Indicator guards

Heres ours, the black will be paired Silver behind the logo to make it stand out more.

Still great to see other people coming up with new ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles